American Table & American Feast Menu

kgriff

Unless Carnival is blatantly lying in a press release, they are spending more money on food on the new menu than they were on the previous menu.

From what I have been reading that seems rather hard to believe.

Desserts seem to be less costly now than they were. Gotta be cheaper to make one pie than say six servings of bitter and blanc.

I find it interesting that Carnival changed the title from "dining room" to "restaurant". The new limited options and family-style (don't even get me started) seems a better fit for dining room. The original menu with far more selections ordered individually is a better fit for restaurant.

We have to experience it next January. Perhaps they will make improvements before then.

We cruise for the ocean, entertainment and dining. At least Carnival can't cut back on the first!

That's a scary observation. Restaurant inplies pay. Coulld trhis be what they.re setting us up for in the future? Cut back 96 items, and then at some point, add selections back for a price, or worse.

That's a scary observation. Restaurant inplies pay. Coulld trhis be what they.re setting us up for in the future? Cut back 96 items, and then at some point, add selections back for a price, or worse.

IMO CCL is just setting the consumer up to go to the paying restaurants than eat in the MDR, where they have less choices, believe me they know what they are doing these new menu's are being done for a reason and it is not to befit the guests.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

From what I have been reading that seems rather hard to believe.

Desserts seem to be less costly now than they were. Gotta be cheaper to make one pie than say six servings of bitter and blanc.

The labor input is probably a non-discriminator unless they actually cut down on the number of cooks in the galley.

For example, having calamari on the every day menu is probably more expensive than vegetable spring rolls and definitely more expensive than an assortment of soups. They are also increasing the quality of steaks available, now you see ribeyes and NY Sirloins in place of the flat iron some nights.

Carnival has been calling the MDR a Restaurant at least since I was on the Conquest in 2004. I don't think this is a recent thing.

The labor input is probably a non-discriminator unless they actually cut down on the number of cooks in the galley.

For example, having calamari on the every day menu is probably more expensive than vegetable spring rolls and definitely more expensive than an assortment of soups. They are also increasing the quality of steaks available, now you see ribeyes and NY Sirloins in place of the flat iron some nights.

Was not aware of them offering Ribeyes or NY strip steaks (think that is what you meant) in the DR with the new menu.

If so very possible food costs will rise. From what I have been reading they seem to be taking out items with higher labor costs.

We shall see.

Was not aware of them offering Ribeyes or NY strip steaks (think that is what you meant) in the DR with the new menu.

If so very possible food costs will rise. From what I have been reading they seem to be taking out items with higher labor costs.

We shall see.

I was just quoting it directly from the posted menus:

http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/aNew/index.htm

Ribeyes are listed on the San Juan menu, and sirloin is on the Nassau day. Since those are "from the grill," they also may be available on elegant nights. I think part of the problem is that they haven't done a good job explaining the additional options available on elegant night; they just say "other options available form the grill" without listing which options those are.

I was just quoting it directly from the posted menus:

http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/aNew/index.htm

Ribeyes are listed on the San Juan menu, and sirloin is on the Nassau day. Since those are "from the grill," they also may be available on elegant nights. I think part of the problem is that they haven't done a good job explaining the additional options available on elegant night; they just say "other options available form the grill" without listing which options those are.

We will be on the Glory in just over two weeks and will see how we like it.

Ribeye is a much more expensive cut than sirloin. Got more excited when

I thought we would be getting NY strips again.

We will be on the Glory in just over two weeks and will see how we like it.

Ribeye is a much more expensive cut than sirloin. Got more excited when

I thought we would be getting NY strips again.

Well, be sure to tell all of us what it's like. You should be getting an idea of what it will really be like since they will have had a month of preparing the same menu and will have hopefully worked through any teething issues by then.

I get the idea that many feel the changes are a cutback. But I really don't get the comparison to Denny's. I don't ever remember being able to order lobster, alligator, a good NY Strip, escargot, and quite a few other offerings from Denny's. Has it changed that much? I need to get back there.

Personally, I hope the new menus are on the Triumph when we sail in March but I highly doubt it will be rolled out to that ship by then. The steak choices and the port of call choices look awesome to me.

The three things that really worry me are:

1. This is not just a reduction of choices, but a reduction by removing the more expensive (food cost/preparation) menu items. Unique soups and deserts for instance. This was the main reason I ate in the MDR, to try things like pumpkin soup and grand mariner soufflé. It's not a NEW menu, it's the OLD menu without the best stuff!

2. The other reason that I went to the MDR was the 'mood'. Tablecloth and cloth napkins. Being offered bread by the waiter. The overall mood was like a 4 star restaurant. Now with bare tables, communal platters, water pitcher and bread basket the mood is a Denny's (2 star).

3. With a reduction of choices this should NOT be more difficult for the staff, but easier. The guest either has soup, or no soup. They don't have to monitor the water glasses. But.... everyone says the time to get through the meal has increased from 75 minutes to 2 hours. The only way this could have happened with less choices and less labor is... less staff. I suspect they have decreased the wait staff by about a third.

I agree. a cruise is a bit like an hotel 5 stars (service, food, atmosphere).

They are also increasing the quality of steaks available, now you see ribeyes and NY Sirloins in place of the flat iron some nights.

This is true. But personally I'm kind of a steak "snob" if you will. Meaning that more often than not whenever I get a steak somewhere it's not very good. Therefore I don't get steaks. One bad steak and it kind of ruins steaks for me. If I'm going to get a steak I want to ensure that it's going to be a very good steak. Or just simply give be a burger instead.

My daughter got a steak that she didn't eat because she complained that it was cold. Now my daughter is a teenager and likes to complain so her experience wouldn't be one that I would "lean on" to make my decision. My wife had a few different steaks and they were OK. So better than the bad steaks that I have experienced before that typically prevents me from ordering a steak. But not as good as the good steaks that I get when I do order a top of the line steak. I figure to get one of those steaks I would have to go to the steak house and pay for it.

But again, we all have different preferences regarding our food. Just as we have different preferences regarding how to cook a steak: rare, burnt, or somewhere in between.

Edited by kgriff

This is true. But personally I'm kind of a steak "snob" if you will. Meaning that more often than not whenever I get a steak somewhere it's not very good. Therefore I don't get steaks. One bad steak and it kind of ruins steaks for me. If I'm going to get a steak I want to ensure that it's going to be a very good steak. Or just simply give be a burger instead.

My daughter got a steak that she didn't eat because she complained that it was cold. Now my daughter is a teenager and likes to complain so her experience wouldn't be one that I would "lean on" to make my decision. My wife had a few different steaks and they were OK. So better than the bad steaks that I have experienced before that typically prevents me from ordering a steak. But not as good as the good steaks that I get when I do order a top of the line steak. I figure to get one of those steaks I would have to go to the steak house and pay for it.

But again, we all have different preferences regarding our food. Just as we have different preferences regarding how to cook a steak: rare, burnt, or somewhere in between.

Well, the steak selection was a point that I wanted to make in the new menu's favor. The everyday selection of the flatiron steak has been a constant point of complaint on these boards about how it's a cheap cut of meat. These new menus replace that 2-4 nights a week, so that's an upgrade.

Obviously, there will be winners and losers in the new menu. Even more so when it's just being rolled out. Anything of this magnitude will have teething problems. Unfortunately, we're not going to know what the new menu is really like for another month or two. The Glory's galley and waitstaff should just be getting the hang of the new menu, and the probably still has a month to go until their crew is up to speed.

BTW, I posted a few comments on Carnival's FaceBook page and John Heald's FaceBook page with mixed results.

One comment simply linking back to this discussion was removed. I said nothing mean or derogatory whatsoever. Just simply stated that there was a discussion about the new American Table and American Feast menu at Cruise Critic and gave the link. Gone. Which is what I expected.

And just in case I haven't already said this let me say it now.

We LOVE Carnival. We do. But we like the old menu better and would like to see the old menu stay. Or at least make some changes to the new menu to bring back some of our favorites that have been removed.

OR

Keep Guy's Burger Joint and Blue Iguana open every night until 9 or 10 PM. Then we would have a choice on those "bad" MDR menu nights.

And IMHO this discussion is no different than a discussion about sports or politics or religion or whatever. We all like what we all like and we are all simply trying to have an open discussion about it to "convince" others why what we like is so good or worthwhile.

Anyway, that's the way I see it. I'm not trying to slam anyone. I just simply believe that my opinion... is the best. :D

Well, the steak selection was a point that I wanted to make in the new menu's favor. The everyday selection of the flatiron steak has been a constant point of complaint on these boards about how it's a cheap cut of meat. These new menus replace that 2-4 nights a week, so that's an upgrade.

Oh I completely agree with you on that. It is an upgrade from what it used to be, as far as steaks are concerned. But for me personally, I can get a mediocre steak here at home anywhere. So that's not really much of an upgrade to me personally. But I would agree that overall it is an upgrade.

Now someone might point out that I could get a lobster tail here at home too. But I don't because they are too expensive especially for the amount of meat you get. So the Carnival lobster tail I would include in that category of food that I can't (or won't) get elsewhere. So I very much like that that is on the menu. (mmm mmm good)

BTW, I posted a few comments on Carnival's FaceBook page and John Heald's FaceBook page with mixed results.

One comment simply linking back to this discussion was removed. I said nothing mean or derogatory whatsoever. Just simply stated that there was a discussion about the new American Table and American Feast menu at Cruise Critic and gave the link. Gone. Which is what I expected.

And just in case I haven't already said this let me say it now.

We LOVE Carnival. We do. But we like the old menu better and would like to see the old menu stay. Or at least make some changes to the new menu to bring back some of our favorites that have been removed.

D

I expressed my dissatisfaction with the removal of so many items that he actually verbally attacked me. I guess he's feeling the heat.

I expressed my dissatisfaction with the removal of so many items that he actually verbally attacked me. I guess he's feeling the heat.

Yea, this seems to confirm that Carnival really doesn't want our honest feedback. They've decided on the new menu period, unfortunately to those of us that miss the old desserts. By not addressing the numerous complaints they can then say the trial roll our was a "success." They've already decided.

I can't say I cruised on Carnival solely because of the old desserts, but they gave me something to look forward to. Now with other lines prices being competitive, such as RCCL (which I also really love) and MSC entering Caribbean, if we don't like the new menu on our Liberty cruise in May it will be enough to sway me to the other lines.

NCL and RC both downgraded their MDRs in 2012/2013.

Carnival gained from that - I ran into a LOT of people on my last cruise who swapped lines because Carnival's food was better. (People they will now lose).

BOTH of the other couples at my table were from other lines, and were very pleased with the MDR by the end of the cruise.

(I now feel like I should email them to warn them the experience will not be repeated).

Carnival was really dumb to not notice this, and take advantage of it. They missed a big opportunity to include guest opinions of food quality in their advertising.

Or maybe they DID notice it, and decided they don't have enough rooms to benefit from increased sales, so the only way to increase profits was to decrease their costs.

I notice the firm they hired to design this menu (Union Square Hospitality Group) has only one person with a 'Chef' background... all the rest have accounting and business management degrees.

They aren't 'culinary' consultants... they are restaurant 'profit' consultants.

Which totally explains the changed menu.

Carnival trying so hard to put a 'spin' on this as an improvement (instead of a budget cut), and especially their outright lies about the reviews they are getting about it, has only damaged their credibility in my opinion.

I am (also) going to start seriously looking at other lines for future cruises.

Edited by Crunchyfrog

I have been asked to participate in a survey on the new menu for carnival. We depart on Sunday, January 19th aboard the Glory. In return, I will be given a $100.00 on board credit. So I guess they do want to hear their customers opinions. I've not experienced it yet so I am trying to keep an open mind. We meet the last full day of the cruise, a sea day.

I have been asked to participate in a survey on the new menu for carnival. We depart on Sunday, January 19th aboard the Glory. In return, I will be given a $100.00 on board credit. So I guess they do want to hear their customers opinions. I've not experienced it yet so I am trying to keep an open mind. We meet the last full day of the cruise, a sea day.

Interesting! Looking forward to hearing about it when you return. Have an awesome cruise!

I notice the firm they hired to design this menu (Union Square Hospitality Group) has only one person with a 'Chef' background... all the rest have accounting and business management degrees.

They aren't 'culinary' consultants... they are restaurant 'profit' consultants.

Which totally explains the changed menu.

Carnival trying so hard to put a 'spin' on this as an improvement (instead of a budget cut), and especially their outright lies about the reviews they are getting about it, has only damaged their credibility in my opinion.

I am (also) going to start seriously looking at other lines for future cruises.

I wanted to see an upgrade, but sure looks like a downgrade to me, too.

Tell them to at LEAST put Pumpkin Soup, Biter and Blanc, and Grand Marnier Soufflé back on the menu, and offer TWO soups each night, so we at least can have a choice!