American Table & American Feast Menu

kgriff

Did I miss something? What does this have to do with the food in the MDR?

I think it is extremely pertinent. This discussion is all about what everyone thinks about the new menus in the MDR. And if there is a rating system with bogus numbers to inflate (or deflate) those numbers then that is worthy to add to this discussion.

My original intent was to get truly honest feedback from those that have ACTUALLY experienced it. And all too often people have responded with something like "that doesn't sound too bad to me". In other words, they have NOT experienced it for themselves. They just want to chime in defending something that they truly don't know about because they haven't experienced it first hand for themselves.

So I have often wondered if there were responses to this thread that were bogus. And it appears that that is a possibility.

Listen, I don't begrudge those that TRULY like the new menus. Good for them. But still no one, IMHO, can make a logical argument IN FAVOR of reducing the number of options offered on the menus. And yet it appeared that some people would attempt to do that. I mean, if reduction of options is good then why stop? Why not just simply have 1 fish, 1 chicken, 1 beef, and 1 vegan option every night? Everyone should be covered. All is good. Right?

Can we no longer have an open and HONEST discussion anymore without somebody getting all defensive trying to defend their "pet". Or without having the "ballet box" stuffed so to speak? And if the "ballet box" has been stuffed then I would like to know. (No hanging chads here.)

So yes, I do believe that insight is pertinent to this discussion. Just my 2 cents.

1) The menu is too “busy” and therefore more confusing than it needs to be. We were able to figure it out so that wasn’t the biggest negative. But it was an annoyance.

2) In the past there were always like 3 or 4 items in each category that we wanted to try. With this new menu, we were lucky if there was 1 item in each category that we wanted to try. Matter of fact, I think for the first time ever we actually skipped going to the main dining room a few nights. There just wasn’t anything on the menu worth going for.

3) If you had ordered multiple dishes, even appetizers, they would only deliver 1 plate at a time. All that you ordered was brought out to the server’s station all at once. But they would only bring over 1 dish at a time. So by the time you finished the first plate they served you, then they cleared that plate, then they served you the next plate, the food was cold or not fresh.

4) Because of the practice stated in point number 3 (food sat at server’s station while only 1 dish at a time was served), it took a minimum of 2 hours every night to eat. So if you wanted to do anything else (shows, etc.), forget about it. You couldn’t do both because dinner took so long. .

We just foot off the Liberty, and our take is as follows:

1as the menu was confusing the 1st day but we figured it out after that. Not too difficult

2) we thought there was actually a decent variety of the different things each night. And there was shrimp cocktail each night

3) I dont mind them bringing 1 dish at a time.

4) I thought the food was a decent temperature when it was brought

In general, I really couldn't tell much difference and enjoyed the food. There was good variety each night, good quality and presentation, and the waiters and staff were excellent.

We also did Chefs table and Steakhouse on 2 of the nights. They were excellent

REALITY CHECK people- we looked at what we payed for a cruise 28 years ago on our honeymoon and we are definitely paying less today. It's a competitive business and I admire Carnival for staying competitive and offering decent food and service. I agree that things aren't like they used to be, but IMHO, that is the reality of the market

Edited by LuckyZ

And if the "ballet box" has been stuffed then I would like to know. (No hanging chads here.)

So yes, I do believe that insight is pertinent to this discussion. Just my 2 cents.

Okay, I have read through ALL 927 CC Carnival Liberty Reviews...

(you know I'm a number cruncher, Keith)

... and there DOES appear to be some fake reviews, BUT:

The fake reviews:

- started about a year ago (almost none prior to 2013)

- are targeting the periods of the last two cruise directors (Josh and Brittney)

- always mention the cruise director by full name, and in glowing terms

I only found one fake review that even mentions the new menu, and which uses the same 'marketing' phrases that Carnival is using.

So... although there HAS been some ballot box stuffing,

it appears the intent was to make the cruise directors look better,

and was not targeted at the American Table review ratings.

And... the Carnival Liberty 4th place CC rating for 'Best Large Cruise Ships' was based on the CC Editor ratings, not the Passenger reviews... so that appears to be somewhat valid.

Keith... you just did the Glory last week... where is your review of the food?

Edited by Crunchyfrog

We were on the Liberty 6-6/6-16 and found the menu to be quite nice. I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. We had a fun, friendly staff who were enthusiastic performers, as well.

I honestly don't recall if there were tablecloths each night, but my subconscious mind is saying YES there were. :D

I only recall seeing shrimp cocktail listed one or two times, but since I don't like it, it's very possible that my brain skipped right over it on other nights.

My DH was able to order the banana split even though it was not on the adult menu, and there were no children at our table.

Our head waiter explained that the American Table menu changes every 28 days. The next menu change is going to usher in new "specialty items" for a $20 surcharge, similar to going to Diamonds Steakhouse, but cheaper. He was pretty happy about this change, but I'm thinking it may put a big hit on folks trying their steakhouse experience. (Maybe they are hoping to overhaul some of those locations into new cruise options and need the space back?)

We did go to the steakhouse one night, and although most of the food was good, some of it was not very big, portion-wise. My husband ordered the steak & lobster combo (I forget the actual title). Anyhow, the steak was extremely small, and the lobster was barely decent-sized. He was not impressed, and the menu said there would be an additional charge if you wanted to order a second entrée, so that option was not going to be exercised!

Listen, I don't begrudge those that TRULY like the new menus. Good for them. But still no one, IMHO, can make a logical argument IN FAVOR of reducing the number of options offered on the menus. And yet it appeared that some people would attempt to do that. I mean, if reduction of options is good then why stop? Why not just simply have 1 fish, 1 chicken, 1 beef, and 1 vegan option every night? Everyone should be covered. All is good. Right?

While I'm not going to defend Carnival. This is just to completely disagree with your point above.

Reducing the number of options is a way to focus on the food and perfect what you serve. Most of the best restaurants in the world have limited options vs the 300 items of slop that chain restaurants like Applebee's, Hard Rock, or TGI Fridays (just to name a few) try and serve you.

As for Carnival, their MDR has been nearly inedible for a long time now. I will have the new menu for the first time in 2 weeks. We will see if it's any better now.

I hope it will be but, I fear it won't be.

Edited by SPKEMO
grammer

Okay, I have read through ALL 927 CC Carnival Liberty Reviews...

(you know I'm a number cruncher, Keith)

... and there DOES appear to be some fake reviews, BUT:

The fake reviews:

- started about a year ago (almost none prior to 2013)

- are targeting the periods of the last two cruise directors (Josh and Brittney)

- always mention the cruise director by full name, and in glowing terms

I only found one fake review that even mentions the new menu, and which uses the same 'marketing' phrases that Carnival is using.

So... although there HAS been some ballot box stuffing,

it appears the intent was to make the cruise directors look better,

and was not targeted at the American Table review ratings.

And... the Carnival Liberty 4th place CC rating for 'Best Large Cruise Ships' was based on the CC Editor ratings, not the Passenger reviews... so that appears to be somewhat valid.

You come up with the most interesting stuff!

Are you going to do the same to a few of the other ship reviews?

I admit to being curious.

We had it for the first time in January and didn't like it for the same reasons, hard to figure out, too busy, old favorites were gone. A couple of weeks ago, I still didn't like it much because I would forget about the sides and the Yukon Golden Whipped Potatoes are scrumptious, but two of my favorite desserts were back. Maybe if people keep complaining about it, they'll bring back the old ones!

Our head waiter explained that the American Table menu changes every 28 days. The next menu change is going to usher in new "specialty items" for a $20 surcharge, similar to going to Diamonds Steakhouse, but cheaper.

I thought that Carnival had tried a surcharge on some items (on ships without a steakhouse) a few years ago and it failed. Anyway this is the first I have heard that it may be back.

For me, I doubt I would go for any items with a $20 surcharge as the rest of the atmosphere would not change.

I thought that Carnival had tried a surcharge on some items (on ships without a steakhouse) a few years ago and it failed. Anyway this is the first I have heard that it may be back.

For me, I doubt I would go for any items with a $20 surcharge as the rest of the atmosphere would not change.

I agree, Ontario! If I want to pay extra for a steak, I'm going to splurge for the whole she-bang! I want the fancy appetizers, sides and desserts, as well as the better atmosphere. :)

I agree with you. I refuse to pay extra, for supposedly "better" food, especially because it is in the same atmosphere, MDR. Definitely cannot be worth 20.00 extra. I would rather they add a second pay extra restaurant than do this.

I sailed on the Glory on Feb 2. I know we were some of the first for the new menu. I have since read on JH blog that they have indeed added back many old favorites. Some soups and deserts for sure.

My opinion of the new menu.

It wasn't exactly hard to read, but it did take a while to get use to the layout.

The food

I didn't have have a problem with the choices, my problem was with how they tasted. Comparing the same food choice to my Freedom cruise last summer, it tasted better on the freedom

Shared food

It is my understanding that due to complaints, this has stopped.

Service

We enjoyed all our servers, but, they spent lots of time standing around waiting for our food to be delivered from the kitchen. At the time we chalked it up to the staff and chefs getting used to a new menu. Our biggest complaint was in this area. No one told us what to expect. We knew a menu change was happening, but not the way we were being served(water, bread) that caused some awkward moments. And dinner took 2 hours at least, or more!! Too much sitting and waiting.

Tablecloth

They were still being used each night, but think that has since changed.

Surprise

We were given a specialty flavored glass of champagne both elegant nights (which is when they go back to serving water and bread) I wondered if this was because it was the rollout, or

They still do that.

We did have a excellent Matre'D. Best ever.

My next cruise is in Aug on the Freedom. They will not have the American Table Menu. However, we will get to experience the Cruise Director and a Entertainment Director, no assist CD. Hope that works out. Sounds like a good plan.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Edited by sunnydaygirl

Does anyone know if the room service desserts are the same on the new menu ships? Ie., that awesome chocolate cake (not warm melting) that was available on room service,... is it still on the room service for the new menu ships?

I cannot tell you if it is the same or not but they do have a cheese cake and a chocolate cake on the room service menu. And I thought those were as good if not better than the MDR dessert options. And the best desserts are probably from the Coffee Bar that cost $2.25. (Which is an incredible price BTW.)

Reducing the number of options is a way to focus on the food and perfect what you serve. Most of the best restaurants in the world have limited options vs the 300 items...

We will have to agree to disagree. First the quality of the food is NOT better with fewer options. At least not in our humble opinion. And although I do understand exaggeration (300 items) the number of options on the "old" Carnival menu wasn't so extreme as your comparisons to the "slop that chain restaurants ... try and serve you".

And I can't seem to find it now but someone made a comment like "They are trying to act like a nice restaurant and doing a poor job of it. I would rather they try to be a mediocre restaurant and do a very good job of that." That sounds like a reasonable description and wish.

We were given a specialty flavored glass of champagne both elegant nights...

We experienced that on both of our "new menu" cruises on both elegant nights. It's kind of neat. Although we are not champagne drinkers so we didn't really drink ours.

I figured people are tired of hearing me complain...

We didn't find the menu any better the second time around, even after Carnival had 6 months of practice with it, than we did the first time. Creme Brulee is back. Although my wife swears that it is different (and not as good) as before because this is VANILLA Creme Brulee whereas in the past it wasn't Vanilla. Personally, I thought it was fine. I liked it.

The Very Good

Like I have said before, not all is bad. I found the Chesapeake Crab Cake to be incredible. And the Lobster, Stuffed Portobello Mushroom, BBQ Pork Spareribs, and Shrimp Cake were all very good. And I'm sure that I'm leaving off some other things that were very good. (Sorry)

And some things were hit or miss...

Filet Mignon

For instance my medium rare Filet Mignon was good. (I have had better but it was good.) But my wife's was chewy and not so good. And most (in our group of 12) that had ordered it medium rare received it medium to medium well. And if you want it medium rare juicy then medium to medium well kind of ruins it.

Prime Rib

And although others in our group thought the Prime Rib was good, both my wife and I still stand by our original conclusion (as with the old menu) that Carnival's Prime Rib is NOT worth ordering. Ironically they had Prime Rib on 2 nights. So after the first night and everyone saying how good it was I got it on the second night for my wife and I to share. Yeah, we didn't finish it. Not worth it.

Chili Rellenos

My wife, daughter and I all ordered the Chili Rellenos. My daughter loved it. I thought it was decent. And my wife just went on about how spicy hot it was and she couldn't eat it. Both my daughter and I thought she was crazy. After all, ours weren't spicy hot. Then I took a bite of hers. Ugh! It was not only spicy hot but it didn't have a good flavor at all. Obviously each individual pepper had a different heat and flavor.

Guy's Burger Joint

We love Guy's Burger Joint. (Although if the food, especially the fries, sits too long before you order it, it's not that good anymore. Fresh is always better than stuff sitting under heat lamps for a while.) But my wife's experience this cruise even impacted a burger from Guy's Burger Joint. She got a burger with a hunk of unchewable gristle or something.

Flatbread

We didn't care for the Flatbread last December. So we didn't order it this time... until another guest was raving about it on the last sea day. So then we ordered it that night (the last MDR night). And it was good. So we had wished we had ordered it all week but missed out.

Melting Chocolate Cake

The Carnival Melting Chocolate Cake is typically always good right? We like it more ooey goey. So we always order it medium rare. Sometimes it was quite a bit more done than ooey goey. When it is ooey goey it is very good. When it is more done than that it falls on our rating scale. Although (unless it is simply burnt) it is still good, just not very good.

Empty Tables

Also I will note that there was a table for 10 right next to us that only 2 couples showed up from the very first night. And then even 1 of those 2 couples didn't show up at least 2 nights if not more. So they had opted to simply skip the MDR. And there was another table of 10 or 12 by us. They had a screaming baby that was annoying. But the second half of the cruise no more screaming baby... because the whole table just quit coming to the MDR. (The screaming baby, or lack thereof, is what really made us aware that they quit showing up in the MDR.) (BTW, we had late seating.) So was it "coincidence" that those people didn't go to the MDR? Or was it because they didn't like the menu? I don't know. Our group of 12 didn't go to the MDR 1 night because we wanted to go see the "Love and Marriage" show that started at 9:30. And we knew that we wouldn't be able to go see that if we went to the MDR for 8:15 late seating.

Steakhouse Cooking Demonstration

One other note. On the first sea day we went to the Steakhouse at noon for a "Cooking Demonstration". We were able to "sample" what they made. It was very good. And it was more than a simple "sample". It was 4 courses that was about enough for a full meal!

Bottom Line

Like I said before, we truly do like Carnival. But we simply prefer the old menu and all the various options on it better. And we certainly do not think the limited options means better quality. That has NOT been our experience. Although like I said, the Chesapeake Crab Cake was incredible!

Pictures

We didn't take any pictures of the food (with a few exceptions). But we did take pictures of the menu. However we took pictures of the menu that was in the glass case. So the pictures are not that great. They typically have a glare / light / flash in them. And we neglected to take pictures the very first night. If somebody wants them and requests that I post them I can do that. (In my spare time. :) )

Thanks for second post. I have never had a good piece of prime rib on Carnival. I've even have a waiter tell me not ever to order. And even tho I like M-rare, if the flavor was good I could take it cooked more. Probably will go if the experience is good and continue to share to get a full range of food to try. Sad about the Creme Brûlée. I think it used to be Banana. How did you find the soups the second time around? I've heard they added more to the menu.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Is there a date when all ships will have this?
I think it looks very likely it is going to be canceled...

They haven't converted any more ships to it since February.

(Original plan was 2 ships per month from March 2014 to June 2015).

No one at corporate has mentioned a single word about the new menus or rollout since last December.

I think the 4 ships that have it will keep it,

(but with a return of some of the removed items),

and the rest will stay on the old menus.

If this DOES happen...

... I will be careful to only book the ships with the old menus in the future.

Edited by Crunchyfrog

I haven't read the entire thread

I haven't cruised on a Carnival ship (Yet)

I HAVE cruised on other mainstream lines from 1985-2008

The people paying the lowest cruise rate (me) and the people paying for the most expensive room are served the SAME FOOD (let's ignore the extra pay restaurants)

My base cruise rate (excl tax, fees, port charges) for my upcoming solo cruise on the Splendor in September is $429. The most expensive cabin is currently about $1840 per person

You are paying for a better room, not different food than ME.

I'm not that picky a person. I'm happy to not have to cook and clean and pick up after myself for a week.

Just got back from the Glory this past Saturday and our first experience with the new menu.

We loved it. I know that some have said the menu is confusing. I'm not sure what they were looking at or if the menu layout has changed but there was nothing confusing about it.

In my opinion the food was better quality and tasted better. There was a chicken curry with rice that was fantastic and it was good to have some different choices for a change. We have been on 11+ carnival cruises and the menu was getting old.

One thing that we missed is they no longer sing and dance each night. They do it on just two of the nights. We asked the Maitre D about it and were told that they no longer do it on most of the ships. That was always alot of fun especially when our waiter would get my 11yr old daughter up to dance with them.