MITSUGIRLYS JEWEL OF A CRUISE review and pictorial

mitsugirly

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't think I'm brave enough to book this excursion either way!

It sounds as though you booked it on your own and not through the cruise lines?

I"m just getting broken in to doing our own thing and using taxis so this would be a bit too adventurous for us.

I am wondering what you know/heard about the turtle farms though. This may work out well for our family.

OH NO WHERE's THE ENDING TO THE STORY

I still don't think I'm brave enough to book this excursion either way!

It sounds as though you booked it on your own and not through the cruise lines?

I"m just getting broken in to doing our own thing and using taxis so this would be a bit too adventurous for us.

I am wondering what you know/heard about the turtle farms though. This may work out well for our family.

B&J, what do you mean where's the ending to the story? I'm confused. :p

Which excursion are you afraid to book? (This review has 3 of them in it). I can help you with it and answer any questions, just let me know which one you are talking about. :)

I have not been to the turtle farms and can't comment on them. Sorry.

we always cruise RCC. Never have at Christmas so this will be our first time.

You didn't mention when you are cruising? I have never been on the Navigator but our cruise two weeks ago (boo it's been that long, really) was on her sister ship the Adventure and I wouldn't expect many differences.

Realizing as mitsugirly mentioned about Christmas being abnormably busy and her certainly having more experience I can only tell you how we have found things on RCC typically February of the year. ALL of the boats have typically 3 of the same food selections lines in different areas and it makes it much easier to navigate. My biggest complaint is people. . . people .. . people who just don't realize where the beginning of the line is and double back and cut you off. For instance, on the salad section wouldn't you think that you'd start with the lettuce. BUT NO! they bounce back and forth. Um, sorry, but there's someone behind you.

I have always wanted to go to Bermuda.

Mitsugirly,

We just disembarked from the jewel yesterday. I arranged our CC get together and had VIP treatment the entire week though we are only Silver latitudes. We had robes, upgraded toiletries, chocolate or canapés from an officer each evening, invites to haven party, and priority disembarkation. it was a real treat! They must do that for whomever arranges the meet and greets! What a nice surprise! I was really impressed with how visible the directors were. Seems they were always hanging around, welcoming you back onto the ship, etc. nice touch NCL!

Lauri

Mitsugirly,

We just disembarked from the jewel yesterday. I arranged our CC get together and had VIP treatment the entire week though we are only Silver latitudes. We had robes, upgraded toiletries, chocolate or canapés from an officer each evening, invites to haven party, and priority disembarkation. it was a real treat! They must do that for whomever arranges the meet and greets! What a nice surprise! I was really impressed with how visible the directors were. Seems they were always hanging around, welcoming you back onto the ship, etc. nice touch NCL!

Lauri

I think it varies. I have arranged a lot of meet & greets and never received anything for it and definitely not VIP. :( This time around I got the treats and an invite, but not any robes or toiletries or anything. So it still kinda remains a mystery for me on how they pick and choose.

• 2 months later...

Just found your review and I am looking forward to reading it. I have only sailed Carnival but some friends have talked us in to cruising with them on the Jewel when it is here in November. I am excited to try another cruise line but nervous at the same time. Thanks for taking the time to write this so a NCL newbie like me can read it!

Just found your review and I am looking forward to reading it. I have only sailed Carnival but some friends have talked us in to cruising with them on the Jewel when it is here in November. I am excited to try another cruise line but nervous at the same time. Thanks for taking the time to write this so a NCL newbie like me can read it!

I hope you enjoy it. I also did a review when I did my first Carnival cruise (coming from a NCL person of course) and it's listed in my signature line. It was my comparison of the lines from my perspective. :)

• 1 month later...

Kim

Could you give me some info on the Drury Hotel>

We decided this time around to stay at The Blake Hotel. We have previously stayed at Drury (which is right next door) and also in the Warehouse District at Springhill Suites.

We have booked a room there for our trip in November 2014.

Kim

Could you give me some info on the Drury Hotel>

We have booked a room there for our trip in November 2014.

Absolutely. What info would you like? I do have a partial review on it from our Spirit cruise.

Click HERE to go to the pay with the Drury information.

We loved it there. It was really nice and the added free food made it even better and saved us some $$, which is always nice. Hot breakfast and hot dinner.

https://wwws.druryhotels.com/content/about_spserv.aspx

Absolutely. What info would you like? I do have a partial review on it from our Spirit cruise.

Click HERE to go to the pay with the Drury information.

We loved it there. It was really nice and the added free food made it even better and saved us some $$, which is always nice. Hot breakfast and hot dinner.

https://wwws.druryhotels.com/content/about_spserv.aspx

Thank You sooo much for the information on the Drury. This will come in very handy!

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked the Jewel for a family & friends group cruise Feb 2016. Re-reading your review for the ship as the itinerary will be different. Your pictures are beautiful as always Kim.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I just booked the Jewel for a family & friends group cruise Feb 2016. Re-reading your review for the ship as the itinerary will be different. Your pictures are beautiful as always Kim.

Are you saying the itinerary for your Jewel cruise is different than this one? Hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

Are you saying the itinerary for your Jewel cruise is different than this one? Hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

Yes ours will be the Mexican Riviera. Only 2 1/2 hour ane ride from Seattle.

Yes' date=' different as she is sailing out of Houston and will NOT do Costa Maya. (One reason I am doing the Sun, because I love me some Costa Maya) :D

[/size']

Ahh love me some Costa Maya!

Our cruise is the Mexican Riviera!

Yes' date=' different as she is sailing out of Houston and will NOT do Costa Maya. (One reason I am doing the Sun, because I love me some Costa Maya) :D

[/size']

Next time we go back to Costa Maya we will do Tropicante again. It was our favorite port and stop.

Next time we go back to Costa Maya we will do Tropicante again. It was our favorite port and stop.

Really? Please tell me more. Let me know why? Give me details. :D

Costa Maya is probably my least favorite stop on this itinerary. There just isn't very many places to go and you have to go kind of further out in order to get that beautiful crystal blue water (which is always something I strive for in the Caribbean). I have been to the Malecon and really didn't like the water there and didn't care for it just being a beach that is just lined with different places to stay versus a more private setting or spaced out more. Maybe that's just something I can't seem to get past. Can you tell me why Costa Maya is loved so much and why Tropicante? Thanks :)

Really? Please tell me more. Let me know why? Give me details. :D

Costa Maya is probably my least favorite stop on this itinerary. There just isn't very many places to go and you have to go kind of further out in order to get that beautiful crystal blue water (which is always something I strive for in the Caribbean). I have been to the Malecon and really didn't like the water there and didn't care for it just being a beach that is just lined with different places to stay versus a more private setting or spaced out more. Maybe that's just something I can't seem to get past. Can you tell me why Costa Maya is loved so much and why Tropicante? Thanks :)

Tropicante is owned by an American expat. His name is Steve Uhl (not sure if the last name is correct). It's a little beach bar, nothing special but he will reserve a table for you for free and all he asks is you buy your food and drink from him. He provides a waiter and concierge. You can have them arrange snorkeling trips, 25.00 massages on the beach, jet skiis, banana boat rides. He gives you the wifi code and will let you use his Skype phone to call home and check on things. It's a 2.00 pp taxi ride from port. It was the best most relaxing day our group had on the Star cruise. There were 8 of us and we were treated like gold. Steve hires all locals and treats them well. He also comes out and makes sure guests are taken care of. It's nothing special to look at and most tables and chairs are plastic but it's very unpretentious.

He responds to email timely and gives you directions. Great easy cheap time. I highly recommend.

Tropicante is owned by an American expat. His name is Steve Uhl (not sure if the last name is correct). It's a little beach bar, nothing special but he will reserve a table for you for free and all he asks is you buy your food and drink from him. He provides a waiter and concierge. You can have them arrange snorkeling trips, 25.00 massages on the beach, jet skiis, banana boat rides. He gives you the wifi code and will let you use his Skype phone to call home and check on things. It's a 2.00 pp taxi ride from port. It was the best most relaxing day our group had on the Star cruise. There were 8 of us and we were treated like gold. Steve hires all locals and treats them well. He also comes out and makes sure guests are taken care of. It's nothing special to look at and most tables and chairs are plastic but it's very unpretentious.

He responds to email timely and gives you directions. Great easy cheap time. I highly recommend.

Ok, just wondering. Those are all things that I knew, but wondered if there was something that I was missing there along the malecon. We did Nohoch last year and it was basically the same (except AI), but I really didn't care for the "place" that much (or really the owner, who everyone says that he's just like Steve with being friendly and talking to you and so on...it just wasn't the case with us). :(

• 4 weeks later...

You were so helpful in helping me find a place to go in Jamaica with my kids now we are looking at Cozumel we have been to Playa Mia wanna try somewhere new I was looking at Mr. sanchos but I see you like Chankanaab .. Which do you like better? And why ?

Mommy joining Sakari in on the fun.

PC200436-L.jpg

Face plant in the water. She usually thinks she's a dolphin.

PC200433-L.jpg

PC200443-L.jpg

THIS DID NOT TURN OUT GOOD. I'm sure you can guess.....

PC200446-L.jpg

She played it off like it didn't sting, but I'm pretty sure from the looks of it and the sound that it did have to hurt some. But she kept going.

Are you trying to dive now? Again, not a pretty ending.

PC200447-L.jpg

Man these drinks are strong. I've been going strong all day long and I think the hubby was a little far gone too. Maybe we should back off just a little. When it comes to the time where you're too drunk to take a picture holding your glass anymore and you have to use your feet...it's time to stop. Take note!

PC200453-L.jpg

You were so helpful in helping me find a place to go in Jamaica with my kids now we are looking at Cozumel we have been to Playa Mia wanna try somewhere new I was looking at Mr. sanchos but I see you like Chankanaab .. Which do you like better? And why ?

Well, Chankanaab just holds a special place in my heart because of the wonderful snorkeling and I just think the place is so beautiful with so much there to see and do. If you read both of my reviews, you'll see the pictures of snorkeling, the beach, the lagoon, there's the dolphin swim, the replica ruins tour...and now I hear they have zip lining and walking above the alligator pen. They also have a free sea lion show, swims with manatees and so on. We just had an awesome time both times we were there. They also have iguanas hanging out around the lagoon.

Mr Sanchos is also a decent place for kids with the two pools (the big one on the AI side and the smaller on the PAYG side) and the water toys (which cost extra) out in the ocean. There's just not much for snorkeling there and I love any place I can go to in order to get some snorkeling in. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Mitsugirly, I am a little confused by a statement: Sunset Grand Hilton Rose Hall off Montego Bay near the port. I thought the Sunset Jamaica Resort (from your pictures) is close to the port was an independent hotel that sold day passes. Rose Hall is much farther away from the port, as I've been there. Just trying to clear things up in my head! I want to look up this AI option for a group I'm sailing with next year. Thanks for your help.