New Menu Thoughts?

lrockwitt

My original post included the word, "Hepres". Some may have though that should have been "Herpes". Actually, Hepres is a particularly virulent strain of herpes which can only be contracted by sharing of appetizers. ;)

Beware!

Brian (your whine steward)

LOL! Haven't done the American Table but we will next week. We probably won't be sharing--not because of Hepres --but DH has declared he doesn't like any of the offered-to-share choices. I can live with it. What concerns me is no desert parade?:eek: No baked Alsaka?:eek: Do the waiters still dance? :)

We still had the dancing waiters. They still had the Chocolate buffet. Still had bitter & blanc. We didn't see any major changes and the Breeze is their newest ship. I didn't like the new shows and how they did away with the live band.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We still had the dancing waiters. They still had the Chocolate buffet. Still had bitter & blanc. We didn't see any major changes and the Breeze is their newest ship. I didn't like the new shows and how they did away with the live band.

It is my understanding the Breeze does not have the new American Table/American Feast menus. What you described is the old menu.

I was thinking the same thing myself! Well said! I am looking forward to my cruise.... I will find food - its there. I think the trolls are out in force here.

First of all, thanks to the original poster. He (or she) is one of the few people who has experienced the old menus and the new menus back-to-back and was nice enough to provide their assessment.

Why is it that this board has become home to Snivelpalooza? Good lord, people!

People who have not tried the new menu have already made up their minds that it "sucks". And if your group contains six people with varying food allergies, voluntary food restrictions and picky eaters, you will not find a restaurant on any ship (or probably in any land-based restaurant) that is gonna make you all happy. Do you realize you are a restaurant waitstaff's ultimate nightmare? :eek:

Nobody is being forced to share anything with anybody! You are ,however, being offered the opportunity to do so if you wish to. Have you ever eaten at the buffet? Unless you were first in line, somebody else handled the serving utensils before you did. Did you contract cooties? hepres? flesh-eating bacteria?

I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in the world and have eaten quite a few "meals" a from a metal cup while shivering in a foxhole. And you know what? I was thankful for them all. We are the luckiest, most spoiled people on the planet. You are talking about a vacation you'll be taking that is the envy of the world. 95% of the world's population cannot imagine the experience in which you'll be sharing. (OOPS, shouldn't use the word "sharing" as that seems to offend some.) I'd like to see you make food accessible around the clock for 2,000 people 7 days a week.

If you are going to let the lack of a tablecloth ruin your vacation, STAY HOME. I certainly don't want to get stuck at the table with you!

You obviously won't be satisfied unless you have some whine with your meal.

Just my 2¢ worth,

Brian

I agree that this is still the old menu. I have also heard from a reliable source that the reviews on the new menu have not been highly favorable. Although I am of the sort that will have to see for myself and not base my opinion on someone else's opinion

Sharing food? I'm confused... I was just on the Breeze and no one had to share food. We all ordered our own items and the food was served to us. Can someone explain what you're taking about? I think I'm confused. :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

First of all, thanks to the original poster. He (or she) is one of the few people who has experienced the old menus and the new menus back-to-back and was nice enough to provide their assessment.

Why is it that this board has become home to Snivelpalooza? Good lord, people!

People who have not tried the new menu have already made up their minds that it "sucks". And if your group contains six people with varying food allergies, voluntary food restrictions and picky eaters, you will not find a restaurant on any ship (or probably in any land-based restaurant) that is gonna make you all happy. Do you realize you are a restaurant waitstaff's ultimate nightmare? :eek:

Nobody is being forced to share anything with anybody! You are ,however, being offered the opportunity to do so if you wish to. Have you ever eaten at the buffet? Unless you were first in line, somebody else handled the serving utensils before you did. Did you contract cooties? hepres? flesh-eating bacteria?

I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in the world and have eaten quite a few "meals" a from a metal cup while shivering in a foxhole. And you know what? I was thankful for them all. We are the luckiest, most spoiled people on the planet. You are talking about a vacation you'll be taking that is the envy of the world. 95% of the world's population cannot imagine the experience in which you'll be sharing. (OOPS, shouldn't use the word "sharing" as that seems to offend some.) I'd like to see you make food accessible around the clock for 2,000 people 7 days a week.

If you are going to let the lack of a tablecloth ruin your vacation, STAY HOME. I certainly don't want to get stuck at the table with you!

You obviously won't be satisfied unless you have some whine with your meal.

Just my 2¢ worth,

Brian

Thanks for your service!

And I also agree with your post. We who cruise are very lucky to do so and should be thankful that we are able to do so!

I agree that this is still the old menu. I have also heard from a reliable source that the reviews on the new menu have not been highly favorable. Although I am of the sort that will have to see for myself and not base my opinion on someone else's opinion

But dear John has said the reviews are brilliant! How can that not be the case?;)

We were on Glory for the very first week the menus previewed. I actually liked the menus, the ability to grab water when I was thirsty, and didn't have to share anything, even at a table of 8.

The next ship we are on has the same old boring menu. I'd rather has the new one. At least it's different. And the bread selection is better.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were on Glory for the very first week the menus previewed. I actually liked the menus, the ability to grab water when I was thirsty, and didn't have to share anything, even at a table of 8.

The next ship we are on has the same old boring menu. I'd rather has the new one. At least it's different. And the bread selection is better.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I hope they still have the old menu on the Elation next year. I see where you are coming from, but bouncing around different cruise lines and having only had it once, it will take longer for us to get tired of it.

I hope they still have the old menu on the Elation next year. I see where you are coming from, but bouncing around different cruise lines and having only had it once, it will take longer for us to get tired of it.

The new menus still have plenty of the old favorites and in some cases bring back some of the older favorites.

The new menus still have plenty of the old favorites and in some cases bring back some of the older favorites.

I tend to agree (although we have not experienced the new menus), but variety is the spice of life. Try something new.

I don't get this anti sharing thing. Everyone seems to think the other people have some gross disease they want to spread around.

Actually they do. I have been a dental hygienist for 25 years and am also an infection control practitioner (commonly referred to as hospital expert on infection control) so I feel confident in my knowledge. There are plenty of communicable diseases that are transmitted through saliva. Many people lick their fingers while consuming a meal . If those people then touch the serving utensils then there is the potential for someone else to become colonized with whatever has been left .

I am by no means paranoid and cruise often and also eat in restaurants frequently. I know that if you wash your hands after using the restroom and prior to eating you are fairly safe. The problem here is the potential host(person with infection) is right at your table and there is no time for the bacteria/virus to die before you also have to touch the same utensil.

Before I get jumped on and droves of people say they have never got a disease like this I will share with you all that 3/4 of people have some form of gum disease and we are not born with it.

Sharing food? I'm confused... I was just on the Breeze and no one had to share food. We all ordered our own items and the food was served to us. Can someone explain what you're taking about? I think I'm confused. :confused:

The Breeze does not have the new American Table/Feast menu yet. When being served from that menu if several people at the same table are ordering the same side item or appetizer it will be served in a large bowl/plate "family style" unless you request an individual serving.

I don't like the idea myself. I want my meal served to me with all items on one plate like you get in a restaurant, not your entrée on the plate with bowls of side items that I serve to myself.

I've seen people take huge portions when serving themselves from the buffet, I expect that would happen in the dining room as well. How awkward would it be when the bowl gets to you there is little or none left. If people at a large table aren't paying attention to who is ordering what, then that situation could happen often.

I don't get this anti sharing thing. Everyone seems to think the other people have some gross disease they want to spread around.

well since norovirus and other out breaks happen alot on the ships i dont think being worried about germs is stupid. what i do find stupid is sharing food with strangers. would you go in mc donalds and share a huge bag of fried with everyone that is eating there that day?? everyone sticking thier unwashed hands into the bag before you?? second of all, so poeople are only carriers of germs and show no symptoms so you have no idea if they can make you sick. third, You have no idea what the other people have going on in thier lives. DH had a heart transplant. So yes sharing with people we dont know could possible make him very sick. There are other things that other people have like just finished chemo or have an auto immune disease.

well since norovirus and other out breaks happen alot on the ships i dont think being worried about germs is stupid. what i do find stupid is sharing food with strangers. would you go in mc donalds and share a huge bag of fried with everyone that is eating there that day?? everyone sticking thier unwashed hands into the bag before you?? second of all, so poeople are only carriers of germs and show no symptoms so you have no idea if they can make you sick. third, You have no idea what the other people have going on in thier lives. DH had a heart transplant. So yes sharing with people we dont know could possible make him very sick. There are other things that other people have like just finished chemo or have an auto immune disease.

I have seen sharing on every cruise I have ever been on. I see people passing the butter for rolls, I see them passing the salt and pepper shakers and see people using and passing Ketchup and Mustard.. All of these things have the same germs everyone is so worried about with the new menu sharing..

I guess I am not understanding why so many people are up in arms about sharing with the new menus. We were on the Liberty a few weeks ago and experienced the new menus, and here is the way it works.

1. Everyone ordered their own appetizer.

2. IF YOU WANTED TO, you could share a bowl of calamari, flatbread or the Caesar salad with the others at the table.

3. IF YOU WANTED AN INDIVIDUAL PORTION of one of those 3 appetizers ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS ASK.

4. NO ONE held a knife to your throat or a gun to your head and made you share anything!

5. The bread was passed out by the waitstaff and yes, they did use tongs. There was a small dish of butter every two places at the table, so you only shared that with the person next to you.

6. The only other shared food was the pasta course on the Feast nights, but it never touched the table. The waitstaff served you a portion and took the large bowl away. If you wanted more they would bring it back, and once again serve you.

I remember in years past the bread basket was placed on the table, and everyone dug through it to find the piece that they wanted. Why was there no outcry then? People have always shared the butter dish, where were the germaphobes then?

And most importantly, what about the buffet?? I hope none of you eat there because HUNDREDS, if not thousands, of people touch the utensils there. If you say you avoid the buffet and eat at Guys, what about the toppings bar? You are sharing the the toppings with everyone else on the ship. Not to mention that everyone touches the pump handle for the condiments.

Even in the steakhouse, where everything is served to you, you share salt and pepper shakers and ottles of steak sauce with others. There is just no escaping it on a cruise ship, or in any restauarant on land either.

Edited by Jeafl

I guess I am not understanding why so many people are up in arms about sharing with the new menus. We were on the Liberty a few weeks ago and experienced the new menus, and here is the way it works.

1. Everyone ordered their own appetizer.

2. IF YOU WANTED TO, you could share a bowl of calamari, flatbread or the Caesar salad with the others at the table.

3. IF YOU WANTED AN INDIVIDUAL PORTION of one of those 3 appetizers ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS ASK.

4. NO ONE held a knife to your throat or a gun to your head and made you share anything!

5. The bread was passed out by the waitstaff and yes, they did use tongs. There was a small dish of butter every two places at the table, so you only shared that with the person next to you.

6. The only other shared food was the pasta course on the Feast nights, but it never touched the table. The waitstaff served you a portion and took the large bowl away. If you wanted more they would bring it back, and once again serve you.

I remember in years past the bread basket was placed on the table, and everyone dug through it to find the piece that they wanted. Why was there no outcry then? People have always shared the butter dish, where were the germaphobes then?

And most importantly, what about the buffet?? I hope none of you eat there because HUNDREDS, if not thousands, of people touch the utensils there. If you say you avoid the buffet and eat at Guys, what about the toppings bar? You are sharing the the toppings with everyone else on the ship. Not to mention that everyone touches the pump handle for the condiments.

Even in the steakhouse, where everything is served to you, you share salt and pepper shakers and ottles of steak sauce with others. There is just no escaping it on a cruise ship, or in any restauarant on land either.

Where's my like button? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Well said.