Blowing nose at Dinner

Buck Turgidson

Grow up, I said blow not wipe, your answer is childish

Telling someone to grow up for expressing their opinion is much more childish than the response. So, please enlighten me. What's so childish about my response? I merely wondered what your wife does when she has a bad cold?

No, believe me I am not judging but as a child I stuck the see of this fruit called guniep (the size of a grape) up my nostrils. You are keen to what happened to me. Now, I get that short of breath feeling with anything up the nose. While we are at, I like to hang around buffets or in grocery stores. Seeing food in huge quantity is very comforting. If I am MIA, go look at a corner in the buffet for me and don't ever expect a quick trip to the grocery store. Yep, another story too:D

Pauline

I kinda had the feeling something must've happened because of such a strong reaction. I stuck these little red berries in my ears bc I thought they looked pretty, then tried to dig them out and just pushed them in further. Glad I don't have a reaction to hearing aids!!! LMAO

Wiping ones nose is one thing ,but out right blowing ,yes rude to do @ the table. Excuse yourself and walk away from the eating area to blow. I leave my kitchen if I need to do that at home.

If you can walk that's a good option I suppose. For me it's not that simple.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

I kinda had the feeling something must've happened because of such a strong reaction. I stuck these little red berries in my ears bc I thought they looked pretty, then tried to dig them out and just pushed them in further. Glad I don't have a reaction to hearing aids!!! LMAO

Lol, so you are wise enough to realize how someone respond might have more to do with them than the actual situation.

As always, half the story has never been told.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

The subject was nose blowing. Not sneezing, not wiping, not tourettes.

So she's fine if someone at the same table has tics (which is often part of Tourettes) or maybe the shakes from Parkinson's? Maybe a blind person is at a near table? My point is that maybe she needs to grow up a little. That person who may have a Kleenix out and blowing his nose (and you never said in your first post if it was all nose blowing that bothers or just the ones who honk it out -- some people can do it without too much noise and as someone else pointed out besides me, sometimes you don't always have the ability to keep running to a restroom...and I would think that's more disruptive than if someone can discretely take care of the matter quickly and quietly).

If there's someone who isn't quite perfect sitting by me, my inner voice reminds me that that person can't help whatever condition they have. Maybe the person with a loud voice has a hearing problem. Maybe the person who keeps dropping her fork has MS.

Now I may not want to eat my food if someone coughs or sneezes in my direction without covering their mouth. The one only thing that may throw me would be if I hear or see someone vomit while I'm eating. But I would be empathetic with a nose blower.

My major thing was partially swallowing a hard candy I was sucking on. I was choking, but fortunately my father, a doctor, was home and managed to get it out. But ever since then, I can not swallow a pill whole.

Blowing your nose at the table is gross. No one wants to hear or think about your snot while eating.. and blowing it into your cloth napkin is even more disgusting. The waiter should not be forced to deal with snotty rags in the dining room. YUCK! If your nose is running, get up and excuse yourself to blow it in the restroom.. then be sure to wash your hands. Mucus contains tons of germs!!

However, I give a pass to those who are not mobile.. In that case, do it quietly and not into your napkin.

I'm sure most would take one look at me and judge still. I'm 43 so I look young, healthy, I'm not obese and there are no physical signs that I have health issues (now that my hair is growing back in). But the moment I start walking I'll cough.. and coughing leads to nose blowing... so the moment I walk back to the table the vicious cycle will start again because I had to move. I'd never get to eat dinner at that rate.

Edited by sherilyn70

Its just plain bad manners to blow your nose at the table!

And cruisin chick ,thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard! I have had Tourettes for 41 years and I never blow my nose at the table. AND Ihave tterrible allergies...lol...still dont blow at the table.

I thought Tourettes took on various forms or the others don't count. You have had, allergies and Tourettes but have you feast on really, really spicy foods?' I read calling names can be a form of Tourettes. Be careful the name you call people is not more a reflection of oneself, just sayin.

"Simple ‘phonic' tics can include chronic smiffing, grunting, throat clearing, clicking and screaming whereas complex phonic tics may include stuttering, repetition of words and saying socially unacceptable words."

Edited by Blk_Amish

I thought Tourettes took on various forms or the others don't count. You have had, allergies and Tourettes but have you feast on really, really spicy foods?' I read calling names can be a form of Tourettes. Be careful the name you call people is not more a reflection of oneself, just sayin.

"Simple ‘phonic' tics can include chronic smiffing, grunting, throat clearing, clicking and screaming whereas complex phonic tics may include stuttering, repetition of words and saying socially unacceptable words."

Thank you for the "update" I didn't know what "tics" were associated with Touretts

Thank you for the "update" I didn't know what "tics" were associated with Touretts

You are welcome but I can assume the socially unacceptable words ("dumbest thing I ever heard" comment) is your tic so no need to apologize, correct? Why else would you say that to an adult for expressing her thoughts on a forum?

Edited by Blk_Amish

Some of Y'all would have DIED at our home dinner table. LOL. There was a box of Kleenex on the table & every meal we were the blowingest, snortingest ppl there was. No one thought anything of it.

Eating affects my sinuses. I always need to blow my nose at least twice during dinner. But... We do choose anytime dining & there's no one at the table but us, so no ones having to be affected by it unless you're looking at us.

Granddad always carried his "snot rag" (handkerchief) around in his shirt pocket.

There is a difference(or should be) between eating at home and dining out. If I want to sit in my underwear and slurp soup out of a football helmet I should probably stay home. I am not a snob but I do have manners and I personally would not blow my nose while dining with others(even at home). And while at home I may eat with my elbows on the table or perhaps not place my napkin on my lap I would not do so at a restaurant. I may not lose my appetite over someone else with bad table manners(chewing with mouth open, talking with food in their mouth, slurping etc.) but I would not disrespect my tablemates or embarrass my wife by ignoring basic manners. ;)

I really don't buy what some preach hiding behind the screen of a message board, where manners and kindness should start. Now, at the rate and amount some people eat (as evident in the size of butts ans waistline) I don't they stop to notice much. Unless good manners are limited to eating, let's all continue to convince ourselves how good we are all at it. I will take what drips out of someone nose by chance over the what come from the mouth by choice, from those hiding behind their keyboard.

If it's a nose thing, well we have something to work through.

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

You are welcome but I can assume the socially unacceptable words ("dumbest thing I ever heard" comment) is your tic so no need to apologize, correct? Why else would you say that to an adult for expressing her thoughts on a forum?

Yeah, I thought it was over the top for someone to say that my comment was "the dumbest thing I ever heard." The reason I mentioned Tourettes (as well as Parkinson's, MS) in that and another thread was to point out that many people have conditions that involve involuntary actions on their part. And from my own experience as an allergy sufferer (as well as my daughter's), sniffling for me does not always relieve my discomfort. So if I sneeze, it's because I didn't have time to run, get a tissue and hide someplace to discretely blow my nose (and some of us can do it quietly, so you might only know if you're looking at us).

I think good manners includes the ability to not make others self-conscious. That would include not laughing at a waiter dropping a plate (to me, the "Nice play, Shakepeare" taunt would be rude: what if that plate comes out of their paycheck?). Not staring at a kid with Downs Syndrome. Not complaining that someone is rude because their runny nose requires some attention right at that moment.

To me, that's not dumb at all.