Cabin size

MVPinBoynton

I am looking at trying out Oceania for the first time in 2014. We are looking at a cruise in the Caribbean on the Riviera; as well as an Asian cruise on the Nautica. I was pleasantly surprised at how large the ocean view cabins are on the Riviera at 242 sq. ft. And was going to look at the same class on the Riviera; but they are only 165 sq. ft.

We normally cruise on Celebrity in a Veranda cabin, which is 194 sq. ft. and quite adequate. I am concerned that the Nautica's cabin might be too small. I realize that a lot depends on the cabin layout; but a floor plan isn't as meaningful as first hand experience.

For those of you that have stayed in an ocean view cabin on any of the R class ships, did you feel the cabin was an adequate size with enough storage space?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

We have spent up to a month in the Oceanview cabins on the R-ships ..it was fine for us

YMMV

Is the Celebrity cabin actually 194 sq ft or does that include the balcony space

something to consider

Edited by LHT28

I was wondering if it included the balcony, since those cabins only have 212 sq. ft. I am really surprised, since I thought Oceania's cabins were bigger. The Celebrity balcony cabins are 194 inside with a 54 sq. ft. balcony or a total of 249.

Balcony cabins on the R-ships are 216 sq ft the inside is approx 165 sq ft same as the OV

O class ships the balcony cabins are 282 sq ft inside they are the same as the OV at 242 sq ft

What is the overall size of X ship compared to an O ship

bigger ship = bigger cabins ;)

If you find space an issue go with a PH

Balcony cabins on the R-ships are 216 sq ft the inside is approx 165 sq ft same as the OV

O class ships the balcony cabins are 282 sq ft inside they are the same as the OV at 242 sq ft

What is the overall size of X ship compared to an O ship

bigger ship = bigger cabins ;)

If you find space an issue go with a PH

Thank you for the additional info. I don't have any problem with space if it is properly laid out and not cluttered with unnecessary furniture. We don't spend that much time in the cabin; but I do want to make sure there is adequate storage space for a 16 day cruise we are booking.

I have never researched Oceania at all; even though I have heard wonderful things about it. When Celebrity just cancelled our China/Japan cruise for 2015, I had to come up with alternatives. Oceania should be an upgrade from the Celebrity cruise we had booked.

I find the storage on the R ships (in the lower Cat) much better than on the O class ships

We tend to only take a 26" suitcase each & 1 small carry-on for meds & important things no matter the length of the cruise ..longest to date was 32 days

MVPinBoynton

Most cabins have a bed (a very nice one ) night tables, a desk with chair, a coffee table & sofa ..they are well layout but this is JMO

Hope you enjoy your O cruise then you will be a convert like the rest of us :D

Lyn

I find the storage on the R ships (in the lower Cat) much better than on the O class ships

We tend to only take a 26" suitcase each & 1 small carry-on for meds & important things no matter the length of the cruise ..longest to date was 32 days

MVPinBoynton

Most cabins have a bed (a very nice one ) night tables, a desk with chair, a coffee table & sofa ..they are well layout but this is JMO

Hope you enjoy your O cruise then you will be a convert like the rest of us :D

Lyn

Thanks Lyn. We just booked the cruise, so we will have 16 days to be spoiled by Oceania.

I've sailed in almost all categories, penthouses, verandas and ocean views, on Regatta and Insignia, and Riviera and Marina.

The actual cabin size on Marina and Riviera for ocean view and veranda is 242 sf, the balconies are 40 sf additional. The cabin size for "R" ships is around 172; the balconies are additional; the ocean view cabins are very smaller, but it's impossible to see the difference.

While the Riviera and Marina cabins measure much larger, they don't feel larger. Much of the space is used by the larger bathrooms and the useless (in my opinion) bathtubs. Because the bathroom is much wider to accommodate the tub, the closet can no longer be across from the bathroom, and instead is beside the bed, eating up yet more floor space. The only place there is appreciably any extra space is around the sofa and desk, and that isn't much.

Further, the closets are very difficult to be shared by two people, due to the location beside the beds. So, even though the measured space is greater, to me it's worth the extra to get a penthouse on Riviera or Marina, for the even larger bathroom (and slightly larger shower), the walk-in closet, the extra space at the foot of the bed and the larger sitting area space. Having said that, however, we just gave up a PH on Marina for the May 22 sailing and swapped to a C GTY, in order to save nearly $4,000!

On the "R" ships, in the veranda and ocean view cabins, the bathroom is much smaller, there is no tub, and the shower has a curtain. However, we find the shower more than large enough (even having it on Good Authority there is room for two). The closet is properly located across from the bathroom, and the "feel" of the room is as good, or better, than Riviera and Marina. While we've enjoyed a penthouse on Regatta, we have booked a C1 Ocean View for the 180 day World Cruise on Insignia (all the Oceania "R" ships are essentially identical).

Storage is more than enough; luggage under the bed (or the steward will stow them), enough drawer, shelf and closet space, and in the ocean view cabins, a useful shelf under the window.

While we normally travel light (carry-ons only), we will not be doing so for the 180 day cruise, and are not concerned about storage space or small-cabin fever. Remember that more than half of the guests will be staying in veranda or smaller cabins, yet Oceania has one of the highest percentages of repeat guests.

I would recommend avoiding the category "E" obstructed view cabins on the "R" ships; they are much smaller and have no seating other than the bed and possibly a stool. I'd sooner have an inside (which we normally eschew).

I've sailed in almost all categories, penthouses, verandas and ocean views, on Regatta and Insignia, and Riviera and Marina.

The actual cabin size on Marina and Riviera for ocean view and veranda is 242 sf, the balconies are 40 sf additional. The cabin size for "R" ships is around 172; the balconies are additional; the ocean view cabins are very smaller, but it's impossible to see the difference.

While the Riviera and Marina cabins measure much larger, they don't feel larger. Much of the space is used by the larger bathrooms and the useless (in my opinion) bathtubs. Because the bathroom is much wider to accommodate the tub, the closet can no longer be across from the bathroom, and instead is beside the bed, eating up yet more floor space. The only place there is appreciably any extra space is around the sofa and desk, and that isn't much.

Further, the closets are very difficult to be shared by two people, due to the location beside the beds. So, even though the measured space is greater, to me it's worth the extra to get a penthouse on Riviera or Marina, for the even larger bathroom (and slightly larger shower), the walk-in closet, the extra space at the foot of the bed and the larger sitting area space. Having said that, however, we just gave up a PH on Marina for the May 22 sailing and swapped to a C GTY, in order to save nearly $4,000!

On the "R" ships, in the veranda and ocean view cabins, the bathroom is much smaller, there is no tub, and the shower has a curtain. However, we find the shower more than large enough (even having it on Good Authority there is room for two). The closet is properly located across from the bathroom, and the "feel" of the room is as good, or better, than Riviera and Marina. While we've enjoyed a penthouse on Regatta, we have booked a C1 Ocean View for the 180 day World Cruise on Insignia (all the Oceania "R" ships are essentially identical).

Storage is more than enough; luggage under the bed (or the steward will stow them), enough drawer, shelf and closet space, and in the ocean view cabins, a useful shelf under the window.

While we normally travel light (carry-ons only), we will not be doing so for the 180 day cruise, and are not concerned about storage space or small-cabin fever. Remember that more than half of the guests will be staying in veranda or smaller cabins, yet Oceania has one of the highest percentages of repeat guests.

I would recommend avoiding the category "E" obstructed view cabins on the "R" ships; they are much smaller and have no seating other than the bed and possibly a stool. I'd sooner have an inside (which we normally eschew).

Thank you for the voice of experience comments. It is all very helpful and good to know for a future Oceania customer.

We sailed Concierge class on Celebrity's Solstice last May and have sailed on both the R and O class ships with Oceania. The ocean view cabins on both the R and the O Oceania ships are essentially the same as the actual cabins at verandah level (after you take the verandah out of the square footage), as already stated by others.

I find the cabins on Oceania (both O and R classes) to have better storage than we experienced on Celebrity (the storage above the Solstice's bed was useless unless you were nearly 6' tall and could reach it). The Solstice bath was superior to the R ships (newer ships have larger, more modern bath finishes and a solid shower enclosure), but the O ships have the superior bath of all three categories. The O beds are also far superior to Celebrity in quality, comfort and condition (a couple of the sheets and towels we were given on Celebrity were pretty worn and tattered- I've never seen anything like that on O in over 70 days sailing her various ships).

Overall, I would give O the edge on the cabins I've experienced. Not in a big way for the R ships, but hands down for the O ships - quality, condition and comfort. If you are happy with Celebrity Solstice's cabins, I'm sure you'll be happy with Oceania's too (either R or O).

Enjoy your first O cruise!

My zsister and I stayed in an oceanview on regatta once all tthe way forward on concierge deck and that one had lots of room! Can give stateroom number if you would like it.

Thanks, but I already picked out a Category F inside, since they were all about the same interior size as the oceanview and basic balcony cabins; but F's were mid-ship. Plus the pricing was more appealing.

Hello,

On O's smaller ships the ocean views have a shelf under the window.

To me it is wonderful for hiding and storing some of our clutter- books, plan of the day (POD), maps...

Oh, we don't have any clutter. My wife throws all of my stuff away.:D

Thanks, but I already picked out a Category F inside, since they were all about the same interior size as the oceanview and basic balcony cabins; but F's were mid-ship. Plus the pricing was more appealing.

The insides are only 174 sq ft quite a bit smaller that an OV at 242 sq ft

The insides are only 174 sq ft quite a bit smaller that an OV at 242 sq ft

This is on the R class ship, where the D class is 165 and the E class is 143. The inside is 160. If we were on an O class ship, the OV would be 242 and a great mid-ship location.

This is on the R class ship, where the D class is 165 and the E class is 143. The inside is 160. If we were on an O class ship, the OV would be 242 and a great mid-ship location.

Ok since you were talking about the Riveira cruise I assumed wrongly that was what you booked the inside on

Enjoy

Lyn

Ok since you were talking about the Riveira cruise I assumed wrongly that was what you booked the inside on

Enjoy

Lyn

No problem at all Lyn. I am just starting to learn about O, so I am glad I am able to keep the two classes straight on cabin size. However, that is the only thing I know at this point. :D Lots to learn.