Perfect for iPads!

Christine Frances

Thanks to Barry's post on the Cruising Technology forum, I purchased an AirStash http://www.airstash.com/ for DH for Xmas. It is really simple to use and as it has its own WiFi it can stream to multiple devices. You can increase storage by getting larger cards. We have loaded lots of movies for our long flights to Asia. We are very pleased with it an I think it will work well for photos as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36844725&postcount=67

It has it's own wifi. If it (the AirStash) is within about 20ft of your device you can pick up the signal under Settings-wifi. Then when you download the free app and open it, it will show you what is loaded on the AirStash and then you can select and download to your iPad. It is quite easy. You load it from your computer like any memory stick. Docs, photos, movies etc.

There's a number of other external drives on the market with Wi-Fi capabilities that readers might want to consider as well. A knock against the Airstash is that it uses SD cards for storage and that it is "crazy-expensive for what is essentially a Wi-Fi-enabled SD reader." (CNET review)

Amazon's price for the Airstash with a 16 GB SD card is $179. For only $20 more, they sell Corsair's Voyager Air with a full 1TB of mobile storage that has Ethernet, Wi-Fi and USB 3.0 connectivity. Seagate, SanDisk, Silicon Power and others make similar drives with similar prices.

I'm not saying don't buy the Airstash, but do consider other options.

We have loaded lots of movies for our long flights to Asia.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36844725&postcount=67

Make sure that your movies are truly downloaded to your device and do not require streaming while in the air ...with no WiFi. ;)

I load movies onto my iPad through Amazon Instant Video - FREE. I rent them for around $2.99 and they are good on the device for up to 30-60 days or so. DH and I download 2-3 for every roundtrip flight to supplement what is offered onboard the aircraft. Once you start the movie, you have approx. 24-48 hours to view it. If I were to just download the movie for streaming, I would not be able to view them without WiFi , so could not view them while flying.

Make sure that your movies are truly downloaded to your device and do not require streaming while in the air ...with no WiFi. ;)

Thats just it! The AirStash is your portable wifi! You can stream anywhere and different movies can be streamed simultaneously to two different iPads as long as you are closer than 20ft.

Thats just it! The AirStash is your portable wifi! You can stream anywhere and different movies can be streamed simultaneously to two different iPads as long as you are closer than 20ft.

Although the US FAA has started to ease rules on the use of personal e-devices during flights, and Transport Canada is following suit, albeit somewhat more slowly, I've seen nothing yet permitting the use of personal wifi hubs. To the contrary, the TC website says:

WiFi connection is currently permitted only during the taxi-in phase of flight. Some flights are allowed to use WiFi service, on a trial basis, in Canadian airspace.

So while devices of this nature are a great boon to travellers on the ground and on the water, it may be some time before you will benefit from their use in the air. Air Canada currently states the following:

Electronic devices that can interfere with navigational and/or communication equipment. The use of the following devices is prohibited at all times onboard aircraft:

Wireless mouse

Bluetooth headsets

Radio transmitters

Radio controlled equipment or toys

Printers and computer peripheral devices

Laser pointers

A wifi device transmits using radio waves and would be included in the category of "radio transmitter".

As it's an area of constant change, I suggest that you check with your airline to get the most up-to-date information on what is or isn't allowed.

If you check with the airliners to see if you can use a wifi device, the answer will be no. I spent 22 years in the USAF flying F-4s and F-16s. I don't believe that a wifi device with a 20 ft range is going to be a flight hazard.

If you check with the airliners to see if you can use a wifi device, the answer will be no. I spent 22 years in the USAF flying F-4s and F-16s. I don't believe that a wifi device with a 20 ft range is going to be a flight hazard.

Does anyone actually believe that all cellphones are off, every computer has its internal wifi turned off, any smartphone has the wifi turned off on flights today. As a matter of fact do you think that everyone knows how to turn their phone/wifi off...no, turning off the ringer does not turn off your phone. If you do, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Years ago, before wifi was banned, three of us set up a wireless LAN on a commercial cross country flight (we all worked with advanced technology)...it worked we'll and we didn't crash. I used to travel with a blackberry that I constantly forgot to turn off, only to have it start to vibrate over Denver when it received email. There never has been a problem with wifi or cellphone frequencies...and there still isn't.

Edited by ghstudio

Does anyone actually believe that all cellphones are off, every computer has its internal wifi turned off, any smartphone has the wifi turned off on flights today. As a matter of fact do you think that everyone knows how to turn their phone/wifi off...no, turning off the ringer does not turn off your phone. If you do, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Years ago, before wifi was banned, three of us set up a wireless LAN on a commercial cross country flight (we all worked with advanced technology)...it worked we'll and we didn't crash. I used to travel with a blackberry that I constantly forgot to turn off, only to have it start to vibrate over Denver when it received email. There never has been a problem with wifi or cellphone frequencies...and there still isn't.

Exactly.

There never has been a problem with wifi or cellphone frequencies...and there still isn't.

And now that the FAA and other regulatory bodies have belatedly come to that conclusion, the airlines will make changes that ensure that there's a dollar to be made for them!