When do you like to board?

We're flying in the night before and staying at the Intercontinental. I'm not sure if it would be to try to check in early, which is more in line with my personality or wait until after 2pm and be more likely to just walk on board.

My DD's would probably enjoy the pool at the hotel before we board which we wouldn't be able to do if we went first thing to the ship. On the other hand if we eat lunch on the ship it would save us some $$$.

What are your thoughts?

TIA!:)

We always board as early as posible. Have lunch in the Windjammer before the crowd hits, explore the ship, check out our dinning room table, etc. Remember it is the first day of your cruise, want to be on the ship as much as posible because the cruise will be over before you know it.Mike

We always board as early as posible. Have lunch in the Windjammer before the crowd hits, explore the ship, check out our dinning room table, etc. Remember it is the first day of your cruise, want to be on the ship as much as posible because the cruise will be over before you know it.Mike

Ditto, we feel like it adds an entire day to the cruise. We do the same things as mcarnett with the addition of picture taking. You can get alot of ship shots without people that first day.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I agree, we board as early as possible. Sometimes this means we have to wait in line a bit, but it's worth it. I like to check out our cabin, the ship and make spa appointments as soon as possible.

Our last cruise on the Millennium in Venice was the only exception so far, the ship was over-nighting it in Venice, so there was no rush to get to the ship. We ate breakfast at the bed and breakfast, did the Doge's Palace Secret Itinerary tour, returned to B&B for the water taxi ride to the pier. We arrived around 2 pm.

Ditto. While I don't like hanging around the cruise terminal, I still like being in one of the first groups to board. I like to explore the ship before the rest of the 2 to 3 thousand passnegers get onboard and start doing the same thing. By the time the crowds get onboard, I'm kicking back in my cabin and getting ready for the sail away and the evenings activities. Ir really enjoy standing on a private balcony and watching the shoreline as the ship pulls out.

I like to board as early as possible. I have only been on 2 cruises so far and I did not know that I could board early for the first one. I actually found the crowds to be worse if you wait until the "official" boarding time because that is when the people who booked air for the cruise lines come in as well as the people who have not found these wonderful message boards to find out the secrets such as boarding early.

We are flying in the day before also. Everybody is saying early, what is early 10:00 AM? Help!

Depending on customs when the ship comes in....you may still have passangers coming off the ship at 10am. I would try for 11:30 or so to grab lunch on the ship.

Are the pools filled and open for us to enjoy the day we board?

Also, do you think I need to take Bonine for seasickness? I am leaving from Philadelphia on the Enchantment on the New England sailing. Thanks

long time lurker has hit the nail on the head! All the "regular" cruisers out there, who don't know about Cruise Critic and how we all tell each other, "OOOOO, ignore that boarding time of 2 p.m. - you can really get on board as early as 11:30 a.m.!" are lined up at 2. We "smarties" are the ones who know to get there earlier and start our vacations ASAP! ;)

Carol

I like to board as early as possible. I have only been on 2 cruises so far and I did not know that I could board early for the first one. I actually found the crowds to be worse if you wait until the "official" boarding time because that is when the people who booked air for the cruise lines come in as well as the people who have not found these wonderful message boards to find out the secrets such as boarding early.

Is this the way things usually work???

Yup, what she said :-)

long time lurker has hit the nail on the head! All the "regular" cruisers out there, who don't know about Cruise Critic and how we all tell each other, "OOOOO, ignore that boarding time of 2 p.m. - you can really get on board as early as 11:30 a.m.!" are lined up at 2. We "smarties" are the ones who know to get there earlier and start our vacations ASAP! ;)

Carol

Archived