Stewards Entering Rooms While Occupied

goofytoo

Very strange for security to be doing this. 25 or so cruises and we have learned not to be the first there but nobody has ever asked us to leave for briefing so early.

Agreed............32 cruises in........we've never been asked to leave our cabin until AFTER the muster drill has been called............

Can we get this thread back on topic and discuss the stewards barging into the room and not giving enough time to determine if the cabin is occupied or not. I don't think anyone is going to change Vanessa's mind on ignoring the requirement to attend muster drill anyway.:rolleyes:

Hate to break it to ya, buddy, but.. most people are up and around by 8!

By 8:30 there are hundreds of us lined up to disembark the ship to go ashore and explore.

I'm assuming you hit the cabin to crash sometime well after midnight?

There may be hundreds of you lined up to disembark but you shouldn't ASSUME when someone else goes to bed. With my health issues, I must sleep larger normal amounts in order to be able to enjoy a few hours of activity. Just because you get up by 8 doesn't mean each and every person SHOULD. Besides, for all you know, these people normally work late shifts and the vacation time is for recharging.

Can we get this thread back on topic and discuss the stewards barging into the room and not giving enough time to determine if the cabin is occupied or not. I don't think anyone is going to change Vanessa's mind on ignoring the requirement to attend muster drill anyway.:rolleyes:

Sorry you are right will stick to the OP and forgot about the one passenger who think she knows more than the rest of us.

Steward do come in rather quickly after a soft knock.

This is the OP.

The main point of my post was to avoid unexpected visitors, you should use your deadbolt when you are in your room . You should also use your Snoozin card and take your phone off of the hook if you do not want to be disturbed while you are sleeping.

These were lessons that I learned the hard way.

You read wrong! The cabin steward CANNOT override the dead bolt...I know this from experience :o. On an NCL ship, I was locked out on my balcony very early one morning, and had to wait until one of my neighbors woke up & came out to notify someone of my predicament. About 20 minutes later SECURITY came & let me in. They told me they originally sent the cabin steward, but my door was dead-bolted...so they needed to call security to open the door. ;)

This sounds like a horror story. Sorry this happened.

I think many of you are focusing on muster drill compliance.....I don't see that as the main focus of the OP's thread. Don't knock on my door at anytime day or night if I have the DND sign on my door unless it's a true emergency. It is never okay for any crew to knock (or not) then open the cabin door if there is a sign on the door indicating otherwise.

So if you leave the sign out and then your husband/wife starts beating the crap out of you or the cabin catches fire, it's still not okay for the crew to open the door? :rolleyes:

This is the OP.

The main point of my post was to avoid unexpected visitors, you should use your deadbolt when you are in your room . You should also use your Snoozin card and take your phone off of the hook if you do not want to be disturbed while you are sleeping.

These were lessons that I learned the hard way.

So I guess the question is, CAN stewards override the dead bolt or does it have to be security? Answers going both ways here.

I think many of you are focusing on muster drill compliance.....I don't see that as the main focus of the OP's thread. Don't knock on my door at anytime day or night if I have the DND sign on my door unless it's a true emergency. It is never okay for any crew to knock (or not) then open the cabin door if there is a sign on the door indicating otherwise.

John H has said before if the DND sign is up for over a 24 hour period (i could be wrong) that per Carnival policy a welfare check has to be made in the room.. Also imagine the mess the room steward would be in if you left the dnd sign out all week and he didnt clean the room than a supervisor seen the room at the end of the cruise..

John H has said before if the DND sign is up for over a 24 hour period (i could be wrong) that per Carnival policy a welfare check has to be made in the room.. Also imagine the mess the room steward would be in if you left the dnd sign out all week and he didnt clean the room than a supervisor seen the room at the end of the cruise..

Reason Number 101 Carnival might not be the best choice for honeymooners. If there are NO trays at the door or no room service ordered then a room check. No matter what you are doing, you need food to be replenish to carry on. The purpose of taking some cruises is NOT to be disturbed for an entire week. On sea days I keep my DND sign on because my kids are in and out of cabin. I usually find the steward and get fresh towels.

Edited by Blk_Amish

4 cruises with NCL and Ive always had to go on deck where the life boats are and squeeze in tight.. and wait for the loud siren to buzz

It must vary by ship then, on the Star in May we were in the theatre in nice comfy seats, were checked off a list and watched a short video with crew members in the aisles showing how to put on the life jackets (we didn't have to bring them).

You should not let the stewards get to you. As a customer, we can set the deadbolt, use the snooze sign and report the steward to Guest Services if the barging in continues. You can even take the phone off the hook when you want to sleep to avoid the calls. It seems to me that we as customers have more control over the cabin entry issue than the stewards. In this situation, people need to take more responsibility over these types of issues and handle it right away. You will feel more in control and safer. Why are people not locking the deadbolt/using the snooze sign when they are dressing? You should be.

As soon as I enter my cabin or even a hotel room, I always lock the deadbolt and when necessary, I put out the snooze/do not disturb sign. I feel it is my responsibility to do so.

I would think the stewards need to finish their cabin cleaning service on a certain schedule and they need to do what they have to do to get the job done. I guess some stewards don't handle in properly and they should be reported to Guest Services if the problem continues.

Edited by JohnSpo

You should not let the stewards get to you. As a customer, we can set the deadbolt, use the snooze sign and report the steward to Guest Services if the barging in continues. You can even take the phone off the hook when you want to sleep to avoid the calls. It seems to me that we as customers have more control over the cabin entry issue than the stewards. In this situation, people need to take more responsibility over these types of issues and handle it right away. You will feel more in control and safer. Why are people not locking the deadbolt/using the snooze sign when they are dressing? You should be.

As soon as I enter my cabin or even a hotel room, I always lock the deadbolt and when necessary, I put out the snooze/do not disturb sign. I feel it is my responsibility to do so.

I would think the stewards need to finish their cabin cleaning service on a certain schedule and they need to do what they have to do to get the job done. I guess some stewards don't handle in properly and they should be reported to Guest Services if the problem continues.

good post

In my case, the deadbolt wasn't on because my husband wasn't in the room and would need to be able to get in when he returned. It wasn't the fact that the steward walked in that got me - that sort of thing happens from time to time in a hotel or on a ship. But when the guy realized I was changing and didn't apologize and duck out...... that wasn't ok in my book.

In my case, the deadbolt wasn't on because my husband wasn't in the room and would need to be able to get in when he returned. It wasn't the fact that the steward walked in that got me - that sort of thing happens from time to time in a hotel or on a ship. But when the guy realized I was changing and didn't apologize and duck out...... that wasn't ok in my book.

No ,that wasn't right :eek:

Whether meaning to or not, John Heald has been made aware of the room stewards coming in unannounced or not giving time to answer before they come in. A cruiser seems to be concerned and posted on his blog, he in-turn posted it to his FB. I thought this was interesting. Here is what follows...

"Obviously I am way behind in my blog questions and starting next week I will be back to answering them as well as posting some blogs as well. Meanwhile I did see this one posted to my blog and thought it worthy of your discussion

Name: Olivia_________

There is a comment on Cruise Critic Carnival pages about the cabin stewards entering the passengers cabins without knocking. Reading this has left me very distressed because lots of other writers are saying this happened to them to. Why do they do this? I have a cruise booked in February on Elation and now am very worried because this would be terrible for me

Well, I was surprised when I read this because obviously this is not something that I read about or hear from guests directly when I am on the ship because quite frankly, it mostly never happens. The procedure is for the state room steward to knock and say “housekeeping” loudly and wait for a reply, then repeat that process a second time before entering the cabin.

I will of course be writing to Olivia and assuring her that she has nothing to worry about. I haven’t seen the details of the person who wrote on CC but if this did happen I apologise of course. So, I just wanted to make sure if this was a concern others have faced and see if its worthy of presenting to the beards so they can re-address accordingly with the Housekeeping Managers"

Whether meaning to or not, John Heald has been made aware of the room stewards coming in unannounced or not giving time to answer before they come in. A cruiser seems to be concerned and posted on his blog, he in-turn posted it to his FB. I thought this was interesting. Here is what follows...

"Obviously I am way behind in my blog questions and starting next week I will be back to answering them as well as posting some blogs as well. Meanwhile I did see this one posted to my blog and thought it worthy of your discussion

Name: Olivia_________

There is a comment on Cruise Critic Carnival pages about the cabin stewards entering the passengers cabins without knocking. Reading this has left me very distressed because lots of other writers are saying this happened to them to. Why do they do this? I have a cruise booked in February on Elation and now am very worried because this would be terrible for me

Well, I was surprised when I read this because obviously this is not something that I read about or hear from guests directly when I am on the ship because quite frankly, it mostly never happens. The procedure is for the state room steward to knock and say “housekeeping” loudly and wait for a reply, then repeat that process a second time before entering the cabin.

I will of course be writing to Olivia and assuring her that she has nothing to worry about. I haven’t seen the details of the person who wrote on CC but if this did happen I apologise of course. So, I just wanted to make sure if this was a concern others have faced and see if its worthy of presenting to the beards so they can re-address accordingly with the Housekeeping Managers"

I for one expressed my concern on his fb page.

I for one expressed my concern on his fb page.

I think these concerns need to be addressed. Although it hasn't happened to me personally, it is something that I am now aware of because of this thread and will be more vigilant in the future about deadbolting the door, whether I have family out of the cabin or not, since they can knock on a door just as well. I think some of the posters on FB are being unfair in their judgements as well, but that seems to happen on all social media sites.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Forums mobile app

you should not let the stewards get to you. As a customer, we can set the deadbolt, use the snooze sign and report the steward to guest services if the barging in continues. You can even take the phone off the hook when you want to sleep to avoid the calls. It seems to me that we as customers have more control over the cabin entry issue than the stewards. In this situation, people need to take more responsibility over these types of issues and handle it right away. You will feel more in control and safer. Why are people not locking the deadbolt/using the snooze sign when they are dressing? You should be.

As soon as i enter my cabin or even a hotel room, i always lock the deadbolt and when necessary, i put out the snooze/do not disturb sign. I feel it is my responsibility to do so.

I would think the stewards need to finish their cabin cleaning service on a certain schedule and they need to do what they have to do to get the job done. I guess some stewards don't handle in properly and they should be reported to guest services if the problem continues.

100%.

They do not knock very hard and I can see it happening that people are walked in on at inopportune moments.

Hi Alan

My knock was so light and sharp sounding, I think it was a key tap.

That being said, perhaps they've been told not to knock hard because the sound carries to cabins nearby. I've answered the door before, but no one was there, but someone was at another door.

I understand reporting people, but some of you are very hasty to do it.

THE VERY FIRST THING I would have done is simply told my steward, "hey, we sleep in late"

He/she will do other rooms and save yours for last.

What's so hard about communicating? That was your first mistake. Tell them.

Now, if it continues after saying something then there's an issue.

I don't think you are nitpicky at all. Since I too had the cabin steward walk in on me while half dressed I can totally sympathize with you. They need to knock loudly at least twice, and WAIT to see if there is an answer before barging in. It's common sense really. Our cabin steward was opening the door as he knocked which is not acceptable in my book.