Adventure 7 Night Southern Caribbean B Winter Escape with Pictures

Kcjarvis

Ship Condition – AOS is in great condition, especially for a ship built in 2001 and not revitalized yet.

Food – (subjective) – The Windjammer food was cold most of the time and seemed very bland. We didn’t eat in the MDR, but ordered off the MDR menu most nights. The food was just OK. Room Service did make a few mistakes on our orders. The delivery time was either 15 mins or 55 mins. In Café Promenade, the pizza was good, but there was not a great variety of cookies.

Cruise Director – Drew Devine – We didn’t see him a lot around the ship or at secondary events like Belly Flop or Party Under The Stars, but we found him very entertaining without being an egomaniac or annoying like…..

For the Farewell Show, he opened the show playing an amazing drum routine with the RCCL Orchestra. He doesn’t speak Spanish, and with such a large Spanish speaking demographic, it is surprising AOS doesn’t have a bilingual CD when sailing out of San Juan. Also, there was no Love and Marriage Show.

Cabin Attendant – Marlina was the best cabin attendant we have ever had in 20 cruises. She folded our clothes and did a great job keeping the place clean. She always spoke to us and called us by name.

Concierge – Sucel is fantastic. She is very authentic, genuine and extremely helpful. I received a birthday card and bottle of wine from her on the 3rd day.

Diamond Lounge – Since AOS hasn’t been revitalized yet, the 19th Hole is used for the Diamond Event. Stan was an amazing bartender and took great care of us (from what I can remember ) He does great impressions from his favorite movie, Life of PI. “Richard Parker” haha Sadly, he is retiring in February.

Bar Service – Generally good with a few misses. The Lyric Theatre didn’t have chocolate for mudslides; however the waiter went to find chocolate for us. The VCL didn’t have chocolate and the waiter told us we would have to do without it. Even after 3 days of asking, he made no attempt to get chocolate. Boleros ran out of guava, on day 4 for my guavaritas, so I had to switch to mango. Not a huge issue.

Internet – No ship wide wifi, but very good bandwidth in the hotspots around the ship. Surprisingly, there is no hotspot in the Concierge Lounge. Skype worked , iMessage worked, but Facetime didn’t. I was able to download the daily NY newspaper in under 1 min.

Gifts – We received an AOS glass block and a letter congratulating us for reaching 300 cruise points. We received a bottle of wine from the Hotel Director and a bottle of wine from the Food and Beverage Manager. We also received a 2004 RCCL calendar and a letter from Adam G saying we were entered in the Diamond and above Quantum free cruise raffle. It seemed like every time we went back to our cabin, there was a gift waiting.

Elevators – Extremely hot!!!!!!!!!

Shout outs to Dean & Deana, Roadburner (Kay & Steve) and Guest Service Manager Savio Lopez, who was on Oasis and is now on AOS. We have watched him 1000 times on Extreme Cruise Ship on our DVR. He was a pleasure to meet in person and helped us carry our bags during self departure.

Rating:

There have definitely been a lot of CC threads about ships sailing out of Puerto Rico. We had no issues at all. We didn’t experience any rudeness, packs of bad kids or Quinceañeras gone wild. What we saw were families partying, enjoying their vacations and the holiday season. We loved the great dancing in Boleros too. Overall, we loved the itinerary so much we have booked it again on the Jewel in May for Paulette’s Bday. As for the ship, it is aging gracefully, and most of the crew delivered the WOW factor. I will give the Adventure of the Seas a score of 94%.

Another excellent RCCL vacation, we remain loyal to Royal.

This is Ken Jarvis and I approve this review….

We got off Legend on the 23rd

LOL, I looked at your post and we were at the ports together. That's funny, we were taking pics of each others ship. Maybe we will hit another December in the future, we have Oasis for 14

I'm going to look thru my pics to see if I see you. Next year we are doing the Oasis Transatlantic in Oct, so no Dec cruise for us in 2014. Unless of course you can use your connections to get me more vacation days :-)

Glad you had such a great time on your cruise!!!

A couple of questions - Are the reserved seats for suite guests still the stadium area by the pool bar? Also, was there a special event for suite guests? On the Explorer last month there was an outstanding dinner event for suite guests featuring some of the best lobster I have ever eaten! Wondering if this is fleet wide, or only on the Explorer? We are in OS 1600 on Feb 23rd and really looking forward to it :D

Yes to the reserved seating. The suite event was during St Lucia sail away at the peekaboo bridge. We forgot all about it and didn't attend. I like the idea of a dinner event.

Thanks for your review and the great pictures of the "old girl"...we will be sailing on her September, 2014 to the Canary Islands and are so looking forward to being on her again.

We did the Canary Islands 2 years ago on Adventure. We had a great time. I hope you have smooth seas. It was very rough for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ken!!

Just now seeing this today! Glad y'all had a great cruise! We sailed on the AOS LAST Christmas, and a few other times. Always a great time. We love sailing out of San Juan! Hope to see you on a ship in the near future!

I'm going to look thru my pics to see if I see you. Next year we are doing the Oasis Transatlantic in Oct, so no Dec cruise for us in 2014. Unless of course you can use your connections to get me more vacation days :-)

I added a notation to my last bill, Please allow Ken 7 days off in a row with pay. :p

Hey Ken!!

Just now seeing this today! Glad y'all had a great cruise! We sailed on the AOS LAST Christmas' date=' and a few other times. Always a great time. We love sailing out of San Juan! Hope to see you on a ship in the near future![/size']

Thanks Jane - I hope to be in another Max'sMom review soon. hahaha

"We also received a 2004 RCCL calendar and a letter from Adam G saying we were entered in the Diamond and above Quantum free cruise raffle."

When I read this I asked myself just how old was this review? Then I asked myself why would RCCL give out a 9 year old calendar? Then I glanced down at the date in the lower corner of my laptop and said oh. :p :D

We took this cruise years ago and loved every minute of it. AOS was a great ship and we enjoyed visiting all these islands. Next time on St. Martin, Maho beach is on the itinerary.

Thanks for the review, brought back a lot of pleasant memories.

Dolby1000

• 2 weeks later...