Am I crazy to stay on the boat?

nickiefriend

We are cruising in March and doing the exact same stops that we did on our last cruise. In Belize last time we did the Jungle range rover tour and cave tour. This time, that will not be an option because of major back issues that I am dealing with.

With that and the fact that it is a tender port, I am thinking of staying on the boat. Is there anything that I will truly be missing if I do?

Lamanai is worth getting off the ship.

Belize City, Belize

This will be one of your favorite ports IF you book an excursion. You'll hate the place if you do not. This fact has been chronicled time and again. Do yourself a favor and book an excursion! The two most popular excursions are the Cave Tubing and the Lamanai Ruins / Jungle River Cruise. Both get rave reviews. Our selection of the Lamanai tour was no exception.

Once at the Belize pier we were greeted with a nice Welcome sign. There are only a handful of shops at the pier. I am guessing there were about 90 folks on this tour. We were herded onto 1 of 3 air conditioned buses. Whatever bus you get becomes your tour group, and included a guide that not only narrated the bus tour and answered our questions but also drove our boat on the jungle cruise and lead our excursion of the ruins. Our experienced guide was Vel, and he was breaking in a very pretty young guide-in-training that joined us for the duration of the tour. Our guides were very friendly, knowledgeable, and proud of their country.

Belize is a poor country with great natural and historical assets. One idiot on the bus asked "Why are there bars on the windows of houses?" during an otherwise interesting Q&A about the country. (Answer: they have a crime problem related to a "crack" problem). The housing and habitat reminded us a lot of Waimanalo on Oahu (sans the bars). We learned a lot about the city and country on our 1.25 hour bus tour over a paved 2-lane road to the boat dock. [side note: from visible signage along the road it appears Pepsi "controls" the less populated part of the country while Coca-Cola "owns" Belize City itself]. Each bus unloaded their groups into a large thatched roof building sporting restrooms and a couple of artisans. Within a few minutes we were loaded onto covered boats with comfortable seats and two powerful outboard motors.

We snaked South down the river to the Lamanai Ruin site. Our guide plying us with information and pointing out numerous birds (including King Fisher, Blue Herrin, Vultures, and Snow Egrets), baby crocodiles, and a huge green iguana, as well as various flora and fauna. We also found the huge termite nests in the trees to be of interest to all. One of the 3 boats experienced engine trouble which slowed us down a bit, but that boat was never abandoned. Our boat held back each time to make sure they were not stranded.

Once we arrived at Lamanai, we ate a hearty lunch of Mayan chicken, rice, coleslaw, coconut tarts, and bottled Pepsi and water. We started our tour in a small museum with interesting Mayan artifacts and continued on by foot through an impressive jungle featuring vines, "Jurassic Park"-sized palm fronds, medicinal trees, and Howler Monkeys. We spent about 1.5 hours exploring 3 large Mayan temples and the remains of a small Mayan town. Our guides provided an enormous amount of insight and kept us moving at a reasonable clip.

We returned to the boats, sped back up the river, and returned to the buses just before nightfall. We arrived back at the docks about an hour after the final tender was suppose to leave for the ship. Our guides, to their credit, had made the decision to give us the full tour --- not an abridged tour --- even though we had arrived late. After all, we were paying the full price of the tour and they weren't going to let us get anything less. It was clear, back in Lamanai, that we were not going to make the tender cutoff time. This began to cause great distress among some tour passengers. Just remember, that if you are on a cruise-sponsored tour, there are "no worries!" They were not going to strand any of their passengers in Belize if they are on a cruise-sponsored excursion. Sure enough, we were met at the pier with a nice large boat that easily and comfortably sped all of us back to the ship, which was beautifully illuminated out on the sea. Bottom line: take this tour.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions in over 20 Caribbean ports.

Last cruise we got off of the ship long enough to shop for an hour or two and then went back to the ship. After 15 cruises there isn't a lot of things left to do and most ports are a PITA unless you book a tour. We got off in Coxen Hole, went 30 yards from the gate and were inundated with hawkers. We turned around and went right back to the ship. Same thing happened in Costa Maya. Took a táxi to town, walked 3 blocks kicking vendors out of the way and crawled back into a taxi. Spent the rest of the day on a quite ship. I won't even mention Jamaica.

We are cruising in March and doing the exact same stops that we did on our last cruise. In Belize last time we did the Jungle range rover tour and cave tour. This time, that will not be an option because of major back issues that I am dealing with.

With that and the fact that it is a tender port, I am thinking of staying on the boat. Is there anything that I will truly be missing if I do?

Not crazy at all to stay on the ship when you're currently having major back issues. Just get yourself well so you can do something on to next port stop there.

LuLu

~~~

Lamanai is worth getting off the ship.

Belize City, Belize

This will be one of your favorite ports IF you book an excursion. You'll hate the place if you do not. This fact has been chronicled time and again. Do yourself a favor and book an excursion! The two most popular excursions are the Cave Tubing and the Lamanai Ruins / Jungle River Cruise. Both get rave reviews. Our selection of the Lamanai tour was no exception.

Once at the Belize pier we were greeted with a nice Welcome sign. There are only a handful of shops at the pier. I am guessing there were about 90 folks on this tour. We were herded onto 1 of 3 air conditioned buses. Whatever bus you get becomes your tour group, and included a guide that not only narrated the bus tour and answered our questions but also drove our boat on the jungle cruise and lead our excursion of the ruins. Our experienced guide was Vel, and he was breaking in a very pretty young guide-in-training that joined us for the duration of the tour. Our guides were very friendly, knowledgeable, and proud of their country.

Belize is a poor country with great natural and historical assets. One idiot on the bus asked "Why are there bars on the windows of houses?" during an otherwise interesting Q&A about the country. (Answer: they have a crime problem related to a "crack" problem). The housing and habitat reminded us a lot of Waimanalo on Oahu (sans the bars). We learned a lot about the city and country on our 1.25 hour bus tour over a paved 2-lane road to the boat dock. [side note: from visible signage along the road it appears Pepsi "controls" the less populated part of the country while Coca-Cola "owns" Belize City itself]. Each bus unloaded their groups into a large thatched roof building sporting restrooms and a couple of artisans. Within a few minutes we were loaded onto covered boats with comfortable seats and two powerful outboard motors.

We snaked South down the river to the Lamanai Ruin site. Our guide plying us with information and pointing out numerous birds (including King Fisher, Blue Herrin, Vultures, and Snow Egrets), baby crocodiles, and a huge green iguana, as well as various flora and fauna. We also found the huge termite nests in the trees to be of interest to all. One of the 3 boats experienced engine trouble which slowed us down a bit, but that boat was never abandoned. Our boat held back each time to make sure they were not stranded.

Once we arrived at Lamanai, we ate a hearty lunch of Mayan chicken, rice, coleslaw, coconut tarts, and bottled Pepsi and water. We started our tour in a small museum with interesting Mayan artifacts and continued on by foot through an impressive jungle featuring vines, "Jurassic Park"-sized palm fronds, medicinal trees, and Howler Monkeys. We spent about 1.5 hours exploring 3 large Mayan temples and the remains of a small Mayan town. Our guides provided an enormous amount of insight and kept us moving at a reasonable clip.

We returned to the boats, sped back up the river, and returned to the buses just before nightfall. We arrived back at the docks about an hour after the final tender was suppose to leave for the ship. Our guides, to their credit, had made the decision to give us the full tour --- not an abridged tour --- even though we had arrived late. After all, we were paying the full price of the tour and they weren't going to let us get anything less. It was clear, back in Lamanai, that we were not going to make the tender cutoff time. This began to cause great distress among some tour passengers. Just remember, that if you are on a cruise-sponsored tour, there are "no worries!" They were not going to strand any of their passengers in Belize if they are on a cruise-sponsored excursion. Sure enough, we were met at the pier with a nice large boat that easily and comfortably sped all of us back to the ship, which was beautifully illuminated out on the sea. Bottom line: take this tour.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions in over 20 Caribbean ports.

Great review ... but it has nothing to do with the OP you might want to post that in the Belize port of call section

I was in Belize last year on the Carnival Liberty and did an ATV excursion. If I ever get back to Belize I would just stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet.

Most excursions are at least an hour away in a crowded bus, definately not good for someone with a bad back. The tender is about 20 mins and if the water is rough, again, not good on a bad back. Walking around the port in stores that sell the same stuff that you've already seen. Not worth it.

Stay on the ship and relax. Save your back for the next port.

We went to Altun Ha earlier this month. The excursion itself would be fine with back issues as there is not much walking but the road was very bad. Lots of pot holes and of course speed bumps.

We are going there in March as well, and were there last April...I think we will sleep in a bit , have a leisurely breakfast, wait for the tender mob line to clear, tender to BC, and have a few Belikins, maybe a bite to eat, then go back on a tender before the last minute return mob..

We are doing our third Western Caribbean cruise in 2014 (and the fourth in 2015). We previously have done Belize ship excursions to Lamanai and to snorkel. Both were excellent. But next time we will do exactly what you mention.

Belize just is not a good port to get off the ship and arrange your private (i.e. less costly) excursion. So it seems to be the perfect place to either take that special "ship" excursion or to use the day for relaxation on the ship and at the pier.

Edited by newbe dave

We visited Belize last month and did a city tour and visited Altun Ha. We booked with VIV tours and I highly recommend them.

The road to Altun Ha is rough in places however if you let the driver know that you have a bad back, perhaps they can drive slower over the potholes? Our driver was very accommodating (made several stops so we could see wildlife, etc.). If someone in our group had asked to go slow over the potholes (or drive around them), I don't doubt for a second that they would have done it.

Of all the tours I've done the guides we had on this one (Kareem and Fab) were probably the most friendly and accommodating of any that we've dealt with.

:(I had several bulging discs on my last cruise (didn't know that was the problem at the time) and I was very slow moving and in agony. Staying on the ship will make for a peaceful and relaxing day for you.

The first time I stayed on the ship several years due to not feeling well was really a nice surprise for me. The hustle and bustle was gone. I could go where I wanted on the ship and enjoy the sun and shade in peace and quiet.

Like the other posters have said, if you don't have an excursion planned, which you probably wouldn't be physically up for anyway, it isn't a great port to mill around in. The shopping area is a zoo of people and if your back hurts, you'll likely be miserable.

Hopefully, you will find that your really enjoy your day on the ship.

This crossed my mind (staying on the boat). I have to tell you I'm

Cracking up because in my notifications it had your name and the name of this thread and when I read them

Together I thought you were asking this question...I love my butler am I crazy to stay on the boat? Lol. I thought it was a romantic thing and that someone actually fell for their butler ( or someone had such great service they wanted to do a b2b that wasn't planned. Anyway just struck me funny