Navigator of the Seas to get new Sabor Modern Mexican specialty restaurant

mpoole3

In Tucson where we have REAL Sonoran Mexican food (tongue firmly planted in cheek) there are a few upscale modern Mexican restaurants where dinner for two would be considerably more than $50. I suspect that Sabor will not be specializing in burritos, tacos and nachos!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Where are you getting this information? :confused:

From another thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41038870&postcount=869

Went to the Captain's Corner, Capt. Claus said RCCL is in negotiations with Galveston right now trying to get changes made to the channel

and port area so that RCCL can bring in the Freedom Of the Seas in 2015. The terminal is to be doubled in size with work starting in 04/14.

Edited by pspercy

From another thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41038870&postcount=869

Went to the Captain's Corner, Capt. Claus said RCCL is in negotiations with Galveston right now trying to get changes made to the channel

and port area so that RCCL can bring in the Freedom Of the Seas in 2015. The terminal is to be doubled in size with work starting in 04/14.

Cool!!! :D:D:D

I don't think it's so much a matter of where the ship is sailing FROM with regards to Mexican fare, but where it's sailing TO. I had awesome Enchiladas Verdes in Cozumel, admittedly at a place the local Board of Health would have fallen down laughing at. Went with a recommendation from a frequent visitor who told me not to judge the book by the cover.

But you Texans will understand there's Mexican fast-food, usually at a place with a two-word name, one being "taco." There are places you can sit down at, where the platters typically go by a name or number (your El Chico, El Fenix, On the Border... and I think Rita's fits here) and then there are top-shelf Mexican places where you can get a serious steak and not just skirt steak made into Fajitas.

Count me in the "open minded" troop. Rita's was better than I expected it to be - this from someone who has lived his entire life in TX, CA or NV.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

I'm excited about the new restaurant but I'll miss the dungeon.

This evening ended in the dungeon around midnight. (Those who are wondering smoking is not aloud downstairs, but you can upstairs). Each evening they had pop music featured by DJ Drag@n

DSC06178_zps9e6c24bd.jpg

DSC06375_zps9cf12b4b.jpg

Edited by mpoole3

Went to the Captain's Corner, Capt. Claus said RCCL is in negotiations with Galveston right now trying to get changes made to the channel and port area so that RCCL can bring in the Freedom Of the Seas in 2015. The terminal is to be doubled in size with work starting in 04/14.

There are a lot of signs that Port Canaveral could be getting an Oasis-class in late 2015, and if that does happen, it makes sense to move the Freedom, which currently does essentially the same routes, elsewhere.

ICount me in the "open minded" troop. Rita's was better than I expected it to be - this from someone who has lived his entire life in TX, CA or NV.

I have to disagree with quality of Rita's but that IMO

But If Rita's was so popular why aren they putting it on the Nav:confused:

But If Rita's was so popular why aren they putting it on the Nav:confused:

Don't forget t Portofinos was around forever and then Royal Caribbean opted to add Giovanni's. There's room in the world for more than one Mexican specialty restaurant onboard :)

To me it's sad to see a Mexican restaurant on any ship sailing from Galveston. We Texans are very particular about our Mexican food. We all have our favorites which no other restaurant can compare. When sailing I want food I can't/wouldn't get at home. Oh well...

I'd agree with this. Also, why pay for it on the ship when you can get in Cozumel during the cruise.

$25pp seems extremely high to me for Mexican food. Being from Texas, we have tons of Tex-Mex restaurants and even the nicest ones charge no where near $25 for the most expensive items on the menus. I realize this includes tip but I'm going to have to hear some rave reviews before I'd pay $50/couple for Mexican food.

I'm from the East coast, and know nothing about Mexican food in Texas and other parts of the Southwestern U.S. However, around here it's common for my wife and I to spend $40-$50 for the two of us at the "cheap" Mexican places like La Hacienda, La Parilla, and other similar low end places. We recently went to a bigger chain called Pappasito's Cantina (I think they started in Texas), and while the service and food quality didn't seem that much higher, our total bill including tax and tip was over $100. So it's not unusual to spend near or over $50 for two people, at least on the Atlantic side. I can easily see a more upscale Mexican restaurant charging $25 pp including tax and tip and considering that a great deal.

I'm from the East coast, and know nothing about Mexican food in Texas and other parts of the Southwestern U.S. However, around here it's common for my wife and I to spend $40-$50 for the two of us at the "cheap" Mexican places like La Hacienda, La Parilla, and other similar low end places. We recently went to a bigger chain called Pappasito's Cantina (I think they started in Texas), and while the service and food quality didn't seem that much higher, our total bill including tax and tip was over $100. So it's not unusual to spend near or over $50 for two people, at least on the Atlantic side. I can easily see a more upscale Mexican restaurant charging $25 pp including tax and tip and considering that a great deal.

I'm sure you won't be getting taco's, burrito's, enchillada's etc etc at Sabor. if they charge $25, you will get your money worth. like it is the case at Chops, GT & Portofino.

$50 for 2 at a Mexican restaurant?

It won't be around for long.

Unless it has "all you can drink" margarita's ...

Now THIS is an idea I can get behind! :D:D

I'm glad they are getting rid of the Dungeon. The set up is poor at best. It doesn't allow for good flow and interaction. The section on the other side of the staircase is completely closed off to the tiny dance floor. Not to mention the creepiness of people on the upper portion staring down at you.

To me it's sad to see a Mexican restaurant on any ship sailing from Galveston. We Texans are very particular about our Mexican food. We all have our favorites which no other restaurant can compare. When sailing I want food I can't/wouldn't get at home. Oh well...

I was about to say, Mexican restaurant on a ship sailing from Texas seems a bit redundant...