Msc Lirica just back from Xmas Cruise

tammez

Hi Tammaz

We are on the Lirica from 15 March, will be our first cruise so any information you could give would be greatly appreciated.

We are 3 adults, parents and 27 year old.

Do we book MSC trips or try and get private ones? Husband and daughter would like to do the formula 1 circuit, myself probably the Abu Dhabi tour. Not sure on the other cities would probably like to do the ffjords dhow cruise.

We have booked the inclusive drinks package so don't need to bother about what is being spent.

Seen a number of reviews about food not too good, is this the case?

I have probably many many questions but would much appreciate any info you could give, if you would like to let me know privately my email address is djl.perry@virgin.net.

Many thanks

Jackie

Hi if anyone is going on this wonderful Middle East cruise and has some questions I will be happy to answer, plus any tips on DIY tours, taxis, shuttles etc.

Hi,

Which is the best way to get to the Dubai Mall - shuttle or taxi? Also what time could you disembark - we're looking to book advance timed tickets for the Burj Kalifa so any thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi Tammaz

We are on the Lirica from 15 March, will be our first cruise so any information you could give would be greatly appreciated.

We are 3 adults, parents and 27 year old.

Do we book MSC trips or try and get private ones? Husband and daughter would like to do the formula 1 circuit, myself probably the Abu Dhabi tour. Not sure on the other cities would probably like to do the ffjords dhow cruise.

We have booked the inclusive drinks package so don't need to bother about what is being spent.

Seen a number of reviews about food not too good, is this the case?

I have probably many many questions but would much appreciate any info you could give, if you would like to let me know privately my email address is djl.perry@virgin.net.

Many thanks

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

We had a great time but cruising is all about managing expectations. This was our 7th cruise in a short time. We have been on MSC mega ships, Norwegian and Carnival. All were great in their own way. The lirica is very similar to the Opera that is fairly compact. It is spotless and although we had an inside our friends had a balcony which was by far the biggest I have seen on all other ships.

The food is 7 courses but Mediterranean so plenty of fish. The courses are a choice of 2 starters followed by a salad. Then 2 soups one clear,one a broth,next either a pasta dish or risotto then a choice of 4 mains and then dessert. My children are 13 and 15 but are well travelled and will try most things like cuttle fish, lobster etc. we enjoyed the food and the waiter on table 30 was brilliant and derived an extra tip. There are no burger etc options but there is bolognaise,chicken and steak dishes available every day as a substitute.

For us it is always the itinary we go for and we had a fabulous time everything we did was DIY.

We arrived from Birmingham early in Dubai and was on board for around 10. Back Onboard time was 5:30. There are loads of taxis within easy walking and they are all tour guides. The taxis in Dubai are really cheap but there is a 20 dirhams charge for port exit which is about a couple of miles. we used a7 seater for our party which again there was plenty. There is a wifi free zone here.

The taxis have rates for 6 hours 500 dirhams or 300 for 3 hours which was the same in Abu Dhabi.

We had prebooked the At top Burj Khalifi online which saved us a small fortune on our party for 2;00. We negotiated a rate with our taxi driver and he took us to the Deira Souk, the working Dhows on the Creek and a couple of themed hotels. He then took us to the Flamingos and the palace before dropping us at the incredible Dubai Mall. At the top of Khalifi it was fantastic, the views! The Dubai mall is the largest in the world. Got a taxi back for 50 dirhams for 7 seater.

Abu Dhabi, again took taxi tour went to the Mosque, the Palace, the Marina by the F1, the F1 track and Hotel then a look round Ferrari world. 300 aed all in back at 2:30.

Day at sea then khor al fakkan. This resort is small. I researched prior and there is a 4 star hotel called the oceanic that does day pass. Free shuttle bus out of port. Walk 3 mins to taxi rank and take the free courtesy bus to the Oceanic. Day pass for our party was 65 AED please note cash only. For this we got full use of sauna,pools, beach including towels sun lounger and a fantastic lunch. A brilliant family day! Returned on 3:30 courtesy bus.

Oman please not here currency is Omani Rial or Euro. 1rial is 2 euros. As it was Christmas Day we walked to the fish market and the souk in Muttrah port which is in the old part of Muscat. Courtesy bus out of port provided free. Again if you research the area there are loads of taxis willing to negotiate a price to show you around. We enjoyed bartering in the Souks for fancy dress costumes for New Year.

Khasab we had a fantastic Dhow trip into the fjords. We chose Khourshem Tours from Trip Advisor and was glad we did. Full day,including a simple cooked lunch,snorkelling and equipment,towels 32 euros per person!!! Not too full compared to MSC who pack them in. We saw Dolphins close up too. On way back I looked around the Dhow and all 17 passengers we lying on cushions, legs over the edge in the sun eyes closed totally chilled! Favourite day.

Back in Dubai went to Wild Wadi in the Jumeirah beach hotel overlooking the Burj Al Arab. Bought some buy 1 get 1 free entertainer tickets off Ebay. If didn't have the kids would have gone for high tea at Burj and booked direct online.

Phew!! Hope this helps!!!!

Hi,

Which is the best way to get to the Dubai Mall - shuttle or taxi? Also what time could you disembark - we're looking to book advance timed tickets for the Burj Kalifa so any thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks

To the Dubai mall is around 70 dirhams there including the 20 dirhams port charge and 50 back. We booked our tickets for 2 o clock , absolutely brilliant. For 300 dirhams you could take the taxi tour we did then end up the Mall. Allow 10 / 15 mins to reach the Khalifa. Then take a taxi back. 6 AED to £.

To the Dubai mall is around 70 dirhams there including the 20 dirhams port charge and 50 back. We booked our tickets for 2 o clock , absolutely brilliant. For 300 dirhams you could take the taxi tour we did then end up the Mall. Allow 10 / 15 mins to reach the Khalifa. Then take a taxi back. 6 AED to £.

Hi Tammez

Wow! So much fabulous information - thank you! We spent a lot of time this weekend picking the MSC trips we want to do but after reading your experiences I think we have the confidence to try going it alone.

We have a 15 year old too - would love to know what there is to do on Lirica for that age group.

Many thanks

Heb

I agree with the tip for using taxis in UAE. They are safe, reliable and very cheap.

Tammuz, question about Khasab if you don't mind. I'm going on my third Srabaina gulf cruise in a few weeks. In past trips there didn't seem to be any services in port at Khasab. Last night when I was doing some research I found a mention of a free pore shuttle into Khasab town itself. Did you notice this service operating when you were there?

I agree with the tip for using taxis in UAE. They are safe, reliable and very cheap.

Tammuz, question about Khasab if you don't mind. I'm going on my third Srabaina gulf cruise in a few weeks. In past trips there didn't seem to be any services in port at Khasab. Last night when I was doing some research I found a mention of a free pore shuttle into Khasab town itself. Did you notice this service operating when you were there?

Hi, there is a free shuttle to the port entrance, taxis do arrive here but not plentiful. There did seem to be a number of minibuses taking people to town. As we were taking a trip have to as it didn't pay too much attention.Sorry.

Hi Tammez

Wow! So much fabulous information - thank you! We spent a lot of time this weekend picking the MSC trips we want to do but after reading your experiences I think we have the confidence to try going it alone.

We have a 15 year old too - would love to know what there is to do on Lirica for that age group.

Many thanks

Heb

Hi our kids stick to us like glue. There is a teens club and a small video games room. You have the usual crazy golf and table tennis, pool activities etc. we were only on ship one sea day and it rained so they read played cards and chilled. Internet was 24 euros for 100 mins so they could keep their Social life going!!!!

Hi Jackie,

We had a great time but cruising is all about managing expectations. This was our 7th cruise in a short time. We have been on MSC mega ships, Norwegian and Carnival. All were great in their own way. The lirica is very similar to the Opera that is fairly compact. It is spotless and although we had an inside our friends had a balcony which was by far the biggest I have seen on all other ships.

The food is 7 courses but Mediterranean so plenty of fish. The courses are a choice of 2 starters followed by a salad. Then 2 soups one clear,one a broth,next either a pasta dish or risotto then a choice of 4 mains and then dessert. My children are 13 and 15 but are well travelled and will try most things like cuttle fish, lobster etc. we enjoyed the food and the waiter on table 30 was brilliant and derived an extra tip. There are no burger etc options but there is bolognaise,chicken and steak dishes available every day as a substitute.

For us it is always the itinary we go for and we had a fabulous time everything we did was DIY.

We arrived from Birmingham early in Dubai and was on board for around 10. Back Onboard time was 5:30. There are loads of taxis within easy walking and they are all tour guides. The taxis in Dubai are really cheap but there is a 20 dirhams charge for port exit which is about a couple of miles. we used a7 seater for our party which again there was plenty. There is a wifi free zone here.

The taxis have rates for 6 hours 500 dirhams or 300 for 3 hours which was the same in Abu Dhabi.

We had prebooked the At top Burj Khalifi online which saved us a small fortune on our party for 2;00. We negotiated a rate with our taxi driver and he took us to the Deira Souk, the working Dhows on the Creek and a couple of themed hotels. He then took us to the Flamingos and the palace before dropping us at the incredible Dubai Mall. At the top of Khalifi it was fantastic, the views! The Dubai mall is the largest in the world. Got a taxi back for 50 dirhams for 7 seater.

Abu Dhabi, again took taxi tour went to the Mosque, the Palace, the Marina by the F1, the F1 track and Hotel then a look round Ferrari world. 300 aed all in back at 2:30.

Day at sea then khor al fakkan. This resort is small. I researched prior and there is a 4 star hotel called the oceanic that does day pass. Free shuttle bus out of port. Walk 3 mins to taxi rank and take the free courtesy bus to the Oceanic. Day pass for our party was 65 AED please note cash only. For this we got full use of sauna,pools, beach including towels sun lounger and a fantastic lunch. A brilliant family day! Returned on 3:30 courtesy bus.

Oman please not here currency is Omani Rial or Euro. 1rial is 2 euros. As it was Christmas Day we walked to the fish market and the souk in Muttrah port which is in the old part of Muscat. Courtesy bus out of port provided free. Again if you research the area there are loads of taxis willing to negotiate a price to show you around. We enjoyed bartering in the Souks for fancy dress costumes for New Year.

Khasab we had a fantastic Dhow trip into the fjords. We chose Khourshem Tours from Trip Advisor and was glad we did. Full day,including a simple cooked lunch,snorkelling and equipment,towels 32 euros per person!!! Not too full compared to MSC who pack them in. We saw Dolphins close up too. On way back I looked around the Dhow and all 17 passengers we lying on cushions, legs over the edge in the sun eyes closed totally chilled! Favourite day.

Back in Dubai went to Wild Wadi in the Jumeirah beach hotel overlooking the Burj Al Arab. Bought some buy 1 get 1 free entertainer tickets off Ebay. If didn't have the kids would have gone for high tea at Burj and booked direct online.

Thanks for that review. We are doing the same cruise on Jan 11, but there is no-one in my roll call.

Our plans

1 Abu Dhabi- booked Falcon hospital online and will catch taxi to mosque.

2. Kor - thinking of doing ship tour around the countryside as there aren't any private trips.

3. Muscat- private 4 hour tour

Khasab - private full day dhow private tour.

6 days in Dubai with high tea at Burj, tickets to Burj Khalifa and general sightseeing.

Hi, there is a free shuttle to the port entrance, taxis do arrive here but not plentiful. There did seem to be a number of minibuses taking people to town. As we were taking a trip have to as it didn't pay too much attention.Sorry.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go and if doesn't work out, I can always have a quiet day onboard.

Thanks for that review. We are doing the same cruise on Jan 11, but there is no-one in my roll call.

Our plans

2. Kor - thinking of doing ship tour around the countryside as there aren't any private trips.

6 days in Dubai with high tea at Burj, tickets to Burj Khalifa and general sightseeing.

Hi. I would imagine the taxi driver will also include taking you to Falcon hospital which sounds great. We were originally going to do a desert safari with Abu Dhabi Desert Safari -Day Tours - 45 good tripadvisor reviews all good. However, no show for us and phone numbers unobtainable. Have posted the 46th review to warn fellow travellers.

Well jealous of Burj Al Arab, it will be a great feeling crossing security past all the sightseers and up the drive to the island that houses the Burj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great Hol next week!

Thanks for this information, I've contacted the hotel and I think we'll do the same here..They have offered a day pass with or without lunch and as we're travelling with some very picky eaters I was wondering if you could let us know what kind of food it is? I've looked on the hotel website and they seem to have a few dining options so please could you let us know which restaurant the lunch was served in? Really appreciate this info, we were really struggling for what to do here!

Our plans

Have either a printout of your reservation for the Burj al Arab or have it on your phone to show security. It will make it so much easier and quicker getting cleared by security. Don't go really early either. They only allow you in a little bit earlierbthan your reservation and you are very limited which parts of the hotel you van wander around in.

Also if it's the 7 course afternoon tea you've booked, make sure you're really hungry - it was fab but I could not finish it!

[s.

Thanks for this information, I've contacted the hotel and I think we'll do the same here..They have offered a day pass with or without lunch and as we're travelling with some very picky eaters I was wondering if you could let us know what kind of food it is? I've looked on the hotel website and they seem to have a few dining options so please could you let us know which restaurant the lunch was served in? Really appreciate this info, we were really struggling for what to do here!

The food was a buffet type. There were lots of choice and is served in the Restaurant that overlooks the sea.

There are soups, salads, cold meats, fish, salmon mousse for starters. For main course there were curry/ Goulash options about 6 different types including fish,chicken and lamb. There was also a carvery for the plain eaters.Too many desserts to mention! There should be no problem with picky eaters.

[s.

The food was a buffet type. There were lots of choice and is served in the Restaurant that overlooks the sea.

There are soups, salads, cold meats, fish, salmon mousse for starters. For main course there were curry/ Goulash options about 6 different types including fish,chicken and lamb. There was also a carvery for the plain eaters.Too many desserts to mention! There should be no problem with picky eaters.

Sounds great- we will give it a go!!!! Many thanks:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tammez,

With the entertainer tickets off ebay - did you just show up on the day with the ticket? We're looking to do Aquaventure at Atlantis when we go in Feb and have just seen similar BOGOF tickets on Ebay - I'm just a bit wary of not being able to pre book for a specific day and finding we can't get in.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Heb

Will be on 15th March sailing and just wondered if you could tell me when the formal night(s) are on this cruise.

Read your review and it was most informative and you obviously had a good time on this cruise. I cannot wait to do this itinerary for the second time and get the chance to see the sights I did not have time for on RCI in Feb last year. Also looking forward to spending time pre and post cruise with the family who are based in Dubai.

Regards

Suzanne (Bristol UK)

Will be on 15th March sailing and just wondered if you could tell me when the formal night(s) are on this cruise.

Read your review and it was most informative and you obviously had a good time on this cruise. I cannot wait to do this itinerary for the second time and get the chance to see the sights I did not have time for on RCI in Feb last year. Also looking forward to spending time pre and post cruise with the family who are based in Dubai.

Regards

Suzanne (Bristol UK)

Hi Suzanne

I asked irnbru the same question on the "on board MSC Lirica" thread - formal nights are Mon & Thurs.

Hope this helps

Heather

Hi Tammez,

With the entertainer tickets off ebay - did you just show up on the day with the ticket? We're looking to do Aquaventure at Atlantis when we go in Feb and have just seen similar BOGOF tickets on Ebay - I'm just a bit wary of not being able to pre book for a specific day and finding we can't get in.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Heb

Hi, yes we showed up at Wild Wadi and handed the tickets over, it was like they expected you to have them! The water parks are very large we had no problem on a Friday which is the busiest day. If you get there at 10.00 you should have no problem!!