Epic 12/14-12/21 Anybody get sick with a respiratory Illness?

NCEMT

We were on the Epic there was 9 family members, on the second day into the cruise people of our group started getting sick. So far 7 of us have come down with this terrible sinus,migraine, cough illness. Has anybody else? My nephew contacted The front desk, not much they could do. but we did notice that the on board store had quite a few packages of cough drops and by the last day they had none. Having been one of the 7 this illness sucks, we had to postpone christmas, hopefully we will be well enough by new years eve to have a christmas. Note to self, no more pre holiday cruises.:(

Just wondering if any of your group had their flu shots? Curious as to that because it sounds like the flu and it sure is that time of year. I had the flu last spring on our Hawaii cruise and it sure puts you to bed early! i think I got it from my grandson before I left but symptyoms did not develope till half way thru the cruise. You just never know.

Just wondering if any of your group had their flu shots? Curious as to that because it sounds like the flu and it sure is that time of year. I had the flu last spring on our Hawaii cruise and it sure puts you to bed early! i think I got it from my grandson before I left but symptyoms did not develope till half way thru the cruise. You just never know.

I work in Health care and it was a requirement to get a flu shot, which I got back in October.

I was on your cruise. No one in my cabin got sick but I did notice alot of people coughing in the theaters. Think it's one of those unavoidable things on a cruise similar to flying or being in an office building.

You would think with so much washy washy the chances of getting sick would be slim.

You would think with so much washy washy the chances of getting sick would be slim.

All it takes is one cough in your hand after you pass the hand sanitizers to start contaminating all the serving spoons and tongs you touch and get it on to the next 20 people in line. Think you are alot better off washy washing after you get your food but before you start to eat.

And no one in my cabin had a flu shot.

We were on the Epic there was 9 family members, on the second day into the cruise people of our group started getting sick. So far 7 of us have come down with this terrible sinus,migraine, cough illness. Has anybody else? My nephew contacted The front desk, not much they could do. but we did notice that the on board store had quite a few packages of cough drops and by the last day they had none. Having been one of the 7 this illness sucks, we had to postpone christmas, hopefully we will be well enough by new years eve to have a christmas. Note to self, no more pre holiday cruises.:(

It's the flu and it's starting to hit hard. I'm still recovering.

Not really the fault of NCL. You can easily pick it up at your local grocery store. According to the CDC, the time from when a person is exposed to flu virus to when symptoms begin is about 1 to 4 days, with an average of about 2 days.

If I could have a flu shot I would, because I have had reactions in the past I cannot have a flu shot.

Edited by kcwingwalker

Not really the fault of NCL. You can easily pick it up at your local grocery store. According to the CDC, the time from when a person is exposed to flu virus to when symptoms begin is about 1 to 4 days, with an average of about 2 days.

If I could have a flu shot I would, because I have had reactions in the past I cannot have a flu shot.

Yeah, don't fret that you didn't this year. Got my shot at the beginning of November and have been home sick with the flu for 5 days now. It is just now hitting our area hard, and several people I know all had the shot and all have the flu. Maybe they picked the wrong formula this year. Same thing happened with the 2006/07 flu season - the concoction just didn't do well that year in our area.

OP - hope you recover soon, this sucks! But flu is a beast that once it rears its ugly head, it spreads like crazy. That little innocent cough from the person behind you on the plane...

Just got off the epic today, and experienced the same symptoms. It was horrible, first my husband got it...he passed on to me and four other family members that were traveling in our group.

Edited by azil

Just got off the epic today, and experienced the same symptoms. It was horrible, first my husband got it...he passed on to me and four other family members that were traveling in our group.

Oh so sorry :( feel better. No fun feeling so bad.

We got off the Carnival Splendor on the 19th. We both had sore throats on day six and it made Christmas a sad event for us, today is the first day we feel improvement in a week. Doesn't leave good memories of the cruise when you come home feeling like crap.

I got something just like that on the Westerdam, December 7-14. Came down really sick the last night before disembarking. I think it was passed by the coughing, airborne. I had a flu shot in October. It was either unrelated to the flu or a strain not in the shot. Finally feeling better after two weeks, one of pretty sick and the second just no energy. DH came down with it three days after we got home, courtesy of me. I think the same illness is going around in our community. One person at church said her family Christmas dinner count went from 20 to 12 due to a bug like this.

OP, hope all of you feel better soon!

I work in Health care and it was a requirement to get a flu shot, which I got back in October.

in NYC hospitals if you dont get the shot, they force you to wear masks during your entire shift. A lot of employees walking around with masks

Washy washy doesn't really help coughy sneezy :). Airborne germs that is. It is cold and flu season and there is an upper respiratory bug going around that sounds a lot like what the OP had.

I've had just what the OP is describing for over a week and now the rest of my family is having the same symptoms. I wish I could say I caught it on a cruise but we haven't been anywhere. I had a flu shot too so this might be something else. I doubt the cruise lines can do much about it.

Edited by emcelh

Everyone is a doctor on here I see? I was on the cruise and I feel great. No problem at all with myself or any of the 7 people in my party. None of us have a flu shot either. Oh, I just sneezed, should I call the cruise line and complain?

I was on Epic 12/14-21 and have been pretty sick this past week.

My husband is coughing and has a sore throat but I have had much more congestion, headache, fever, etc. I have slept an awful lot the past few days!

I never felt any symptoms while on the cruise and place the blame more on the airport and airplane.

Everyone is a doctor on here I see? I was on the cruise and I feel great. No problem at all with myself or any of the 7 people in my party. None of us have a flu shot either. Oh, I just sneezed, should I call the cruise line and complain?

Don't see the point of your snarky post. But I'm sure all of us are just overjoyed that you didn't get sick. :p

We were not on the Epic but hubby and I have had deep coughs for over a week now. Went to the doctor and we both have Mycoplasma Pneumonia aka walking pneumonia. The doctor said they are seeing a lot of it this year and have been testing for it when someone comes in complaining of cough and other respiratory symptoms. We are soooo tired of coughing!

in NYC hospitals if you dont get the shot, they force you to wear masks during your entire shift. A lot of employees walking around with masks

Work in NYC healthcare too. Got my first flu shot ever this year, cuz I'm not working in a mask!

Lots of bugs going around this year, and it is officially flu season! What a fun time of year....

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Work in NYC healthcare too. Got my first flu shot ever this year, cuz I'm not working in a mask!

Lots of bugs going around this year, and it is officially flu season! What a fun time of year....

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know what you mean! There is tons of crazy bugs going around. It was mandatory for us to get a flu shot, no big deal not a live virus so why not do what we can to stay protected. I heard of some suspected H1N1 not confirmed, how about up north? Have a wonderful cruise coming up, working in Healthcare it is a well deserved break.

I came down with the same symptoms last year on the Dawn. It was a horrible experience, which lasted almost 1 month.

A few days later, my friends developed similar illnesses with the same duration. If it happens again on another cruise, I'll probably go to the ship's doctor.