QM2 – Quirky – Majestic – Peerless – Flawed

megacruiser

Thank you very much for posting your review, it was great seeing recent pictures of QM2, especially ones with her decorated for Christmas. The Indian offerings in the King's Court sound wonderful!

Unless you pay for one of the Grills, expect that the food will be comparable to Royal Caribbean or Princess, better than P&O and not quite as good as Celebrity. Also that non-grill accommodation will be of fairly typical size and standard. Don’t get hung up on class segregation. People who pay much higher fares get better food served in more intimate surroundings, and have a lounge and a small open deck for their exclusive use; otherwise everyone can access the whole the ship.

I've never understood why some people get so upset about "Class" on Cunard ships, and I generally only book interior cabins! Personally I think it is good that Cunard gives those who book a very expensive suite better dining offerings. On other lines guests who book incredibly expensive suites are eating the same food and generally have the same service as someone like me who books a MUCH cheaper cabin.

Also, does no one fly anymore, especially internationally? First Class, Business Class, Premium Economy, and Economy. What's wrong with giving those who pay vastly more a little special treatment.

Oh well!

Anyway, in conclusion and to summarise my take on Queen Mary 2:

Its biggest disappointments:

· Restaurant and buffet lack proper supervision and management

· Kings Court - chaotic and badly laid out; food quality and presentation poor

· Britannia Restaurant – drab décor; so-so food; waiters slow and inefficient

· Indoor pool area is too small and not attractive, a wasted opportunity

· Layout is awkward when accessing the Queens Room and Illuminations

· Not designed for warm weather cruising, causing design compromises

Its biggest selling points:

· High space to passenger ratio means no sense of crowding

· Impressive variety of entertainment and on board guest speakers

· Lots of live music to suit most tastes, including jazz and a large orchestra

· Queens Room for Afternoon Tea and the largest ballroom at sea

· Golden Lion pub serving draft British beers and good pub lunches

· The option to upgrade to luxury cruise standards by paying for the Grills

· Biggest library at sea with adjoining book shop

· Illuminations for unique planetarium shows and recent release movies

· G32 - probably the best nightclub at sea

· The elegance of the Chart Room bar and the Commodore Club

· Four good alternative dining options; three at a very small supplement

· Unique design with masses of public rooms and indoor space

· No better ship at coping with heavy seas

· The only way to get any notion of the Golden Era of Transatlantic Liners

· One of a kind and probably the last of a kind

I agree with almost all of your above statements, especially the last three!

Once again, thank you for your review.

Edited by bradpole

...Choosing Cunard proved to be an astute decision. They do try to maintain some standards and their anachronistic dress code seems to successfully deter a certain element that feels at home on P&O and that is a blessing for sure...

Precisely why I choose Cunard - to avoid the "certain element" which you mentioned. Anybody so insiderate as to wear a polo and jeans on formal night will be inconsiderate to fellow passengers in many other ways.

Thanks for the photos, they brought back lots of good memories of last Christmas on QM2. Can't wait to goon board again, whenever that happy day may dawn!

Personally I have always found the waiters in Britannia restaurant very efficient and the food has been good. I have not noticed any decline in standards.

I do agree that at the end of a cruise I always feel like yesterdays news, can't be bothered with you anymore, got to get the next lot on. You suddenly seem to be invisible to people who were falling over themselves to be helpful the day before.

I do agree that at the end of a cruise I always feel like yesterdays news, can't be bothered with you anymore, got to get the next lot on. You suddenly seem to be invisible to people who were falling over themselves to be helpful the day before.

Yes -- but I do believe that there is a valuable life's lesson to be learned in that :)

Barry

One final thank you to everyone who has responded so positively.

Possibly of little interest to the majority of Cunard forum readers, but next month I will try to two more similar photo reviews.

February 1st: Oasis of the Seas... from the sublime to the ridiculous?

February 8th: Celebrity Constellation... back to some semblance of normality?

Thank you for the photo report.

It brings me back to sweet memories of my

Unfortunately I was so immensed into the ship that I did not take enough photos to make a review this ship deserves.

I wouldn't discuss your conclusions (some are irrelevant) - just note that you aknowledged the fact that the QM2 is an ocean liner, not an ordinary cruise ship.

"Wasted space" on a passenger ship is luxury, it's a treasure.

It's a nightmare to be on a ship where all spaces are "well utilized" that simply means a can of sardines.

Thanks again!

Thank you for posting such a thorough and beautifully illustrated review. It's too bad that the thread took a negative turn.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about The Kings Court. It is totally unlike any other dining venue on board both in quality of food, service and maintenance of an attractive place to eat ( not dine!). The staff is sullen and unhelpful, so unlike the rest of the ship.

We are very much looking forward to our third crossing this summer, and your photos make me eager to board.

Ricki

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for this wonderful post! DH and I will be embarking on our first Cunard cruise on July 2 (Independence Day celebration on the QM2) and your photos and commentary have really heightened the anticipation!

I would like to add my "thanks" as well. Wonderful photos. You made me feel like I was right onboard beside you.

Thank you, also, for all your commentary. I think "managing expectations" by starting out well-informed is sage advice. This message board is certainly helpful towards that end.

I've just re read your review and pictures after disembarking last week after 23 wonderful days onboard. I feel like I really know QM2 now. :p

Oh. Except for Kings Court. I think the crew change it around at night just to confuse us passengers.

It was great to see some familiar faces in your pictures.

One advantage of a WC sector is that until the very last day of the WC in Southampton, there is no "last day" feeling generally on the ship.

I enjoyed the gym except for the clunky old free weights and it was quite busy and I was often exercising with the ships dancers.

Edited by Pushka

"Choosing Cunard proved to be an astute decision. They do try to maintain some standards and their anachronistic dress code seems to successfully deter a certain element that feels at home on P&O and that is a blessing for sure."

HYACINTH. HYACINTH!! DEAR HYACINTH.

I know that this thread is quite old -- but I simply didn't realise that it was you giving your review of QM2 -- why didn't you reveal yourself??

I must say that your photos are excellent - Richard has done a wonderful job of showing you how to use your box Brownie and, of course, you must be very grateful to that son of yours -- Sheridan , I think I remember? - for giving it to you. What's that?? OH! -- he also bought you the ticket for your cruise on QM2. Well, I am sure now that Richard has retired , you must be feeling the pinch. I did wonder how you could afford a cruise on QM2 -- now we all know !! :) It's must be wonderful to have such a happy and gay son.

Barry

I must say that you with your pictures and blog have captured

The essence of the RMS Queen Mary 2.

The pictures show how well built the QM2

Is . It's public rooms and specious decks are reminiscent of

The French Line , Normandie

The aft open space with swimming pools

And sun decks are reminiscent of the Italian line ,Leonardo da Vinci

I agree with you about the kings Court. Inferior as a buffet.

You get to the point and your report is direct , clean

And puts the Qm2 in perspective 2014:)

Thank you for posting such a thorough and beautifully illustrated review. It's too bad that the thread took a negative turn.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about The Kings Court. It is totally unlike any other dining venue on board both in quality of food, service and maintenance of an attractive place to eat ( not dine!). The staff is sullen and unhelpful, so unlike the rest of the ship.

We are very much looking forward to our third crossing this summer, and your photos make me eager to board.

Ricki

Oh my, that certainly seems like a negative to me! Sullen and unhelpful crew members? You stated that "It's too bad that the thread took a negative turn" and yet, your comments could hardly be considered positive.

Just my opinion, but there is a reason why the title is Cruise Critic. Perhaps Cruise Cheerleaders or Pick and Choose What You Want to Critique would be more acceptable? :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Enjoyed looking at the beautiful photos. Engenders good memories.

This ugly thread, however, needs to walk the plank.

Bobby, I agree. And I'm very sorry if any posts I contributed to this thread added to the ugly. -Salacia