HAL won't honor it's own sale prices!!!!!

Lulley766

To Lulley 766 & all others in on this thread,
I have been giving this thought when having time.
How would the folks calling the original poster of this thread everything but an intelligent person feel if you, via your TA, booked a cruise months ahead of time and the cruise line sent you a lower price before cruising that they won't give you. I can understand it might be worded for new bookings only. They in their computer system should have software that would not allow this to happen. I am sure the ones giving the lady that posted this & those of us that support her the roughest time would scream the loudest. They seem to be doing a good job of that on this thread. Even though they are not using capital letters to do it. Shame on you people.:(
I learned a saying from my father years ago that applies to some of you folks on this thread: "Some people are like owls. The more light you shine on them the less they see."
You want to hold to your opinion as inane as it might be as opposed to thinking of yourselves in the same spot and trying to help. Or at least saying have a good time and try to fix it when you get back.
I for one will be talking to my TA tomarrow and ask her why price is always lower than any they send me. I will also ask why when the price goes down on any cruise I have been on she lets me know and adjusts the price. Guess that is why I like dealing with AAA.:)
I hope Lulley766 has a great one and tries not to think of this while cruising. I have a feeling this will all work out before leaving though.
By the way...I have never received a lower incentive price via brochure or E-mail than I received from the TA. If they have a fire sale in the same cat before I go, I get that too.

Lulley, too bad your attempt at getting some imput on a legitimate question has turned out to elicit some negative responses. We've never experienced what you describe but hope that you'll find some satisfying way of resolving the problem. Hopefully you will enjoy a wonderful trip and that will make up for anything else which may not have gone exactly the way you expected. Good luck in getting help from HAL on your issue. Here's hoping you have a great trip.

[quote name='jessemon']I am sure the ones giving the lady that posted this & those of us that support her the roughest time would scream the loudest. [/QUOTE]

Hardly, since I've been in that situation more than once. So I do undersatand it, and I still say that the only way to "help" the OP is to get them to move on by this to planning for their cruise. Neither the cruise line nor the OP's TA has done anything wrong, so there's really nothing more to say about it.

THe OP misunderstand the nature of the offer, wasn't qualified for the offer yet still is insisting on compensation. I've tried to help by showing that there's no obligation on the line's part to compensate the OP in any way. THat's how I tried to help. Those who encouraged the OP to waste effort on a fruitless attempt to gain compensation are the one's who should be chastizing themselves and offering their regrets to the OP.

[color=navy][quote name='Caribbean Girl'][color=navy]Lulley, too bad your attempt at getting some imput on a legitimate question has turned out to elicit some negative responses. We've never experienced what you describe but hope that you'll find some satisfying way of resolving the problem. Hopefully you will enjoy a wonderful trip and that will make up for anything else which may not have gone exactly the way you expected. Good luck in getting help from HAL on your issue. Here's hoping you have a great trip.[/color][/QUOTE]

[/color][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=navy]Well said CG!![/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=navy][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=navy]"When you choose to be pleasant and positive in the way you treat others, you have also chosen, in most cases, how you are going to be treated by others"[/color][/size][/font]

Jessemom, yes, this has happened to me. I book way ahead as I have said before, got in the mail my cruise reduced, but said for new bookings only. I did ask my TA if I was eligible, she called HAL, they said no, I did not pursue it further.

I agree, nothing ventured nothing gained, but there comes a time to let it go.

Many thanks to all of you for your continued support. I will be in wait and see mode from now on. No, it won't spoil my cruise, but it certainly won't enhance it either. I work in a high-end service industry where I am expected to provide high-level customer service, and therefore are at a loss as to the lack of service I have recevied. Maybe that's the point I'm trying to make. There are many lines to choose from and Carnival, Royal Carribben and Celebrity will be just as willing to take my money as HAL. The deciding factor for me is the service. Everyone would be up in arms if they didn't receive the service that they feel they paid for while on the ship. What then is the difference if you don't feel you received the service you are paying for while you are still on land? A little graciousness and goodwill goes a long way with people, and usually results in repeat business. For those of you who disagree with my view, that is entirely your choice. For those of you who have taken the time and the effort to respond and support my inquiry, I thank you, especially Carribbean Girl and Jessemon. But consider this, the next time you each book a cruise - will you all check to see if the price was reduced prior to sailing, and then what will YOU do? Don't be so quick to judge, as you never know how a man feels until you walk a mile in their shoes....

I'll keep you posted if anything develops. TTFN - Ta Ta For Now...

Very few cruisers would say they are not interested in getting a price reduction should the rates drop. I like to save money too. But what if we were required to go the other way too? For instance what if the cruiselines were to say, ok passengers, you will all get refunds if it drops, however if it increases then you pay HAL the difference? How often do we see the prices go up and we smile and say, wow sure am glad I booked early and got the cabin I want, that category has gone up $300 pp. I hope that if you look at it like that you may not be as upset. Anyway I guess I will be hollered at and flamed cause I posted my opinion. But that is what it is, just an opinion and our world goes on whether we agree or not.

It has been said before, life would be boring if we all agreed on everything, if we all wore the same clothes, drove the same car, heck how could we ever book out cabins if we all wanted the same one :eek: , and the CC hosts would have nothing to do cause posts would never get heated and poofed! So far this has gotten a bit heated but no personal attacks as yet. That is great folks, maybe we are finally learning how to disagree amicably.

Lulley766, I hope you have a delightful cruise regardless of the outcome. You were probably happy with the price you paid until you saw the new price. Remember that old song, had a line in it that says "Don't look Ethel! ;) ". Think I won't look either. It may only upset me. There are probably a lot of cruisers that checked their cruise prices just a day or two before their sail date and they found that the prices dropped and there was little they could do about it. I know that may not make you feel better, but at least you know you are not alone.

Annieeee

[quote name='dogsdogs']I'm sorry to go off topic here, but I was intrigued by your comment that AA gives you credit if the fare goes down on your flight. If you don't mind my asking, how do you go about getting that? Is this for first class only, or does it apply to economy too? Please advise. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

dogsdogs

I generally book air travel well in advance, particularly transcontinental/overseas flights. Then I keep following the price for that flight on AA.com or one of the travel sites. When I notice a price drop, I simply notify my local AA office and have always been issued a credit for the price difference which I can use for 12 months following issuance. I have only done this on lowest cost economy fares; even in those cases where I already had upgraded to business class using miles.

[quote name='Lulley766']Many thanks to all of you for your continued support. I will be in wait and see mode from now on. ...[/QUOTE]

Lulley766

This is like following a soap opera. I can't wait to find out how this turns out. As I said in an earlier reply, I'm betting HAL will make some accommodation when all is said and done.

It would add to the interest if you could now provide the specifics of your cruise - ship name; sailing date; cabin categories booked, etc. Of course, we will understand if you want to keep this private and it will certainly not diminish my support for your case.

Quote When situations like this have occurred on other lines, (and even airlines), the companies have been honorable and given the sale price. To those of you who say that cabin selection is important, well, yes it is. I don't think it's worth the value of $700 which is the amount in dispute at this time. Neither is dining seating worth that either. I am disappointed that HAL is shortsighted on this matter. Unquote

[color=green]This must be something new..I was in the International Airline Business for more than 30 years..We never gave a refund or an upgrade on a previously sold ticket, when we had a "special sale" (for new bookings only) to fill empty seats ..We often had people sitting together in one section who paid different fares & that is still the same in the airline business..We were just notified of an increase in the fuel surcharge on our air portion for travel in November (American Airlines) from Santiago to Miami..Our booking was made in February & we have already given final payment.. [/color]

[color=#008000]In my opinion, if you can get a reduced fare, that is wonderful, but don't believe that HAL is obligated to give you a reduction in price, upgrade or shipboard credit..And I also don't feel that HAL is shortsighted in this matter..The cost of cruises has remained the same for many years & if cruise lines are to stay in business they can't afford to give price reductions, every time they have a special sale to fill empty cabins..[/color]

[color=#008000]Just my opinion..[/color]

..The cost of cruises has remained the same for many years & if cruise lines are to stay in business they can't afford to give price reductions, every time they have a special sale to fill empty cabins..[/color]

[color=#008000]Just my opinion..[/color][/QUOTE]

Another case of misplaced sympathy for the cruise lines. My neighbor down here in Miami, Mickey Arison, owner of Carnival Cruises, didn't accumulate a personal fortune of $20 billion dollars as a result of his altruism. The fact is that cruise lines are cash cows. Yes, its correct to say cruise prices have remained relatively stable over the years. However, the cruise lines make a substantial profit on shipboard purchases and you can't tell me that drinks, tours, transfers, spas and amenities that previously were gratis have not risen substantially over the years.

There are reasonable arguements to be made on both sides of this issue but grave financial harm to the cruise companies isn't one of them.

Okay, so I said I wouldn't post any more, but if I don't I may combust....

To Doublebzz - Thank you for your comments. I would love to tell you what ship I am on, but run the risk of seeing a picture of myself at the boarding gate with a big X thru it and a quote that says, "Do not let this woman on board". Suffice it to say we are sailing within a month, hence my desire to settle this issue.

As far as the cruise lines not increasing their fares, well they shouldn't have to. You would be naive to think that the "government taxes and port fees" that I have paid ($188.66 this cruise) is not partly profit to HAL. I once sailed to Bermuda many years ago on the Norwegian Majesty. The port fee charges (10 years ago) were $150. Our ship never made it to Bermuda. We found out later that the Port of Bermuda closed to incoming traffic BEFORE WE LEFT BOSTON. Hence, the ship knew we would never get to our only port, but never told us. Many passengers recognized the coastline of Massachusetts and wondered why we could still see if for three days. We would not have enough time to get to Bermuda given our location. When the passengers got wind of this little scam they demanded, at minimum, a refund of the $150 pp port fees. We never got it. In fact, we got zippo from NCL. Out of mere curiosity, I called the Government of Bermuda and asked the per person charge of entry into the Port of Bermuda. I was told $12. Makes you wonder where the other $138 went doesn't it? Apparently, the Attorney General's office in Miami filed suit against a lot of the lines a while back for this very same thing. The cruise lines then instituted "government fees and taxes" in addition to the traditional port fees. Granted some of the money will go for that, but I would be skeptical as to just how much. Trust me, the cruise lines fill their pockets first before anything else, so I have no qualms about asking for a refund. Port fees and gov't. taxes are found money for these people.

[font=Comic Sans MS][b][quote][/b][/font][font=Verdana]To Doublebzz - Thank you for your comments. I would love to tell you what ship I am on, but run the risk of seeing a picture of myself at the boarding gate with a big X thru it and a quote that says, "Do not let this woman on board". Suffice it to say we are sailing within a month, hence my desire to settle this issue. [/quote][/font]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]It is highly likely this thread has been read by many HAL people. We know they read these boards. Whether they know (or really have bothered to even try to determine) your identity is unknown. I don't suppose they would react in any negative way to your expressing your displeasure. This is a free society where we are permitted to speak our opinions. This most assuredly is not the first time some one has expressed negative opinions here.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Hope you start to enjoy your short countdown. Wishing you a great cruise.[/font][/b]

[quote name='Lulley766']Well, if HAL is reading these boards and still doing nothing, well that speaks volumes to me about the regard they hold for their customers. We are simply cash cows....MOOOO!!!!![/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Lulley....Aren't all customers cash cows to all businesses? All businesses want our money......that's what keeps them in business. They are supposed to make a profit. We have the choice to not to business with any company we don't like. IF HAL is reading this, they figure they have already lost your future business so they have even less incentive to consider granting you some consideration. JMHO[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I have tried to see it from your angle. I have 'been where you are' and have paid a higher price and not gotten a refund when the price dropped for new bookings. I didn't meet the terms. I asked. They pointed out where I did not meet the terms. I felt they were correct. (Sure, I didn't like it but I had to agree I didn't meet the terms of the offer.)[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Again, I still wish you a good cruise and hope you can start to look forward to boarding and enjoying.[/font][/b]

Clearly I realize they are running a business, but it is a business based on service. As I said before if people were not receiving the level of service they felt on the ship they would be upset, how is it different on land? Price issue aside, I waited a week for a return phone call that never came, and then I had to follow up. That just boils down to poor service.

Lulley, if I were as upset as you are about it, I would cancel, there would be no way I would have a good time, so why waste my hard earned money on a cruise I am already upset about.

[quote name='Lulley766']Clearly I realize they are running a business, but it is a business based on service. As I said before if people were not receiving the level of service they felt on the ship they would be upset, how is it different on land? Price issue aside, I waited a week for a return phone call that never came, and then I had to follow up. That just boils down to poor service.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it has something to do with your attitude? Certainly your "stories" about port charges are figments of your imagination (at best) - it's a topic that's been discussed to death here, especially last year in light of the many port changes and cancellations due to hurricanes. Unfortunately, when you get known facts wrong it leads to an interpretation of the rest of your observations as perhaps containing faulty logic or facts.

As Doone suggested, perhaps you need to reconsider this cruise which can hardly be an enjoyable experience for you now.

As an aside, but related to the discussion here, a byline in this morning's business section of "The Miami Herald" states: "BellSouth offers lower DSL prices, if you want them." The article goes on to say that BellSouth is lowering its DSL prices by $10 a month to new subscribers. It also says that it will honor the lower price to those existing customers who request it. I happened to sign a Bell South contract two months ago - from what some of these replies imply, I would be unethical to seek the lower monthly rate now.

I know I'm mixing apples and oranges but I happen to like fruit salad.

doublebzz: Who claimed that seeking a lower price was "unethical"?????

Considering the content of your recent post, it's probably hopeless to ask you to stay on tpic, but at least try for a modicum of accuracy!

[quote name='dakrewser']doublebzz: Who claimed that seeking a lower price was "unethical"?????

Considering the content of your recent post, it's probably hopeless to ask you to stay on tpic, but at least try for a modicum of accuracy![/QUOTE]

Dakrewser: What's a "tpic" and what's innacurate about my comments?

[quote name='jhannah']If they state they will honor the price to current subscribers, then it's not an offer ONLY to new subscribers. You qualify. Different scenario than the OP presented.[/QUOTE]

Jhannah

I think you folks have too narrow a view of the "scenario." If I were taking my final exam in Contracts 101 at Law School, I'd probably agree with your argument. To me, this issue is all about public relations. I had an early background in the retail business and was schooled in the archaic philosophy that "the customer is always right." That schooling also taught you do everything to retain the business of customers. It doesn't mean you give Lulley766 an immediate refund of the $700 price difference she claims, but it does mean you are courteous and responsive to her comminications and offer some accommodation as a good will gesture. HAL is a fine company and I expect that will occur at the end of the day.

Archived