New to Carnival - Need Help

pattydifer

We absolutely love cruising and when a deal comes up that is too good to pass up...well we don't! Tom and I (Patty) will be cruising out of NYC on Splendor at the end of January (2014) and have never been on Carnival, so we are hoping you experienced Carnival Cruisers can help us out. We have booked an inside Spa cabin. So Here are my questions, answer any and all you can. And THANK YOU for your help.

1. What dining venues are included with the cruise fare?

2. Do inside staterooms have a fridge?

3. Are there any secret quiet spots you have found?

4. Is a sports jacket with turtleneck permissible for MDR (for men)? Cause that is about as dressed up as Tom is going to get!!!!!

5. Is there a soft drink package available for adults?

6. Is there a wine package offered? (e.g.: by 8 bottles get 20% off each)

7. Is there generally a MDR open for breakfast and/or lunch service?

8, When your cruise ticket says check-in is 1-3 pm is that in stone? (Cause what if we get to terminal earlier?)

I cant answer all but I can help with some :)

We absolutely love cruising and when a deal comes up that is too good to pass up...well we don't! Tom and I (Patty) will be cruising out of NYC on Splendor at the end of January (2014) and have never been on Carnival, so we are hoping you experienced Carnival Cruisers can help us out. We have booked an inside Spa cabin. So Here are my questions, answer any and all you can. And THANK YOU for your help.

1. What dining venues are included with the cruise fare? If the splendor has a steakhouse that would be the only place not included. On carnivals newer ship they have for a fee venues but I dont believe the splendor has been upgraded to 2.0 yet

4. Is a sports jacket with turtleneck permissible for MDR (for men)? Cause that is about as dressed up as Tom is going to get!!!!! yes that will pass

5. Is there a soft drink package available for adults? yes, bottomless bubbles

6. Is there a wine package offered? (e.g.: by 8 bottles get 20% off each) yes, i believe this is offered the first day. there is usually a table on the lido or atrium when you board

7. Is there generally a MDR open for breakfast and/or lunch service? definitely on days at sea, never ate there on port days

8, When your cruise ticket says check-in is 1-3 pm is that in stone? (Cause what if we get to terminal earlier?) we always get there pretty early, atleast by 11

1. What dining venues are included with the cruise fare? Buffet, MDR, Pizza station, sandwich station, sushi station (if your ship has it) ice cream station. Steak house not included. Coffee House not included. BUT Coffee station is included.

2. Do inside staterooms have a fridge? I don't think so. And even we have got a fridge (balcony cabins, certain ships) it is generally not very cold.

4. Is a sports jacket with turtleneck permissible for MDR (for men)? Cause that is about as dressed up as Tom is going to get!!!!! DH wears a dress shirt and tie for formal night and just a button up for other nights. Khakis or dress pants.

5. Is there a soft drink package available for adults? Yes

6. Is there a wine package offered? (e.g.: by 8 bottles get 20% off each) Yes, but I have never found the price to be that reasonable.

7. Is there generally a MDR open for breakfast and/or lunch service? Yes, we go every morning for breakfast. Not positive about lunch - I think only on sea days.

8, When your cruise ticket says check-in is 1-3 pm is that in stone? (Cause what if we get to terminal earlier?)

We have gotten there as early as 10 and as late as 3:30.

Have fun and keep an open mind. I personally find the Carnival décor a bit much but I do enjoy the food and some of the shows. Staff are always great!

Hi,

Carnival doesn't usually bother people much about dressing up for "elegant " night. Your husband doesn't need a jacket at all . My DH wears black jeans and a shirt with a collar. I don't think anyone will stop him with his turtleneck but the only rule I have seen is that they want a shirt with a collar so not completely sure.

Yes there are wine packages and soft drink packages.

You can also bring 2 bottles of wine (each person) on board with no problem. You can drink in your room or bring glass to dinner as you choose.

4. Is a sports jacket with turtleneck permissible for MDR (for men)? Cause that is about as dressed up as Tom is going to get!!!!!

6. Is there a wine package offered? (e.g.: by 8 bottles get 20% off each) You can each bring 1 750ml bottle on with you

Will be on splendor for first time next week.....

Your only pay for venue on the Splendor would be the steakhouse - The Pinnacle. I believe it is $35 per person. We did the steakhouse on the Glory and it was well worth the money.

There should be a sushi station set up - it is usually between 5:30 and 8ish? Ask at the desk where it is located. Some ships now have a permanent sushi restaurant, but this ship does not.

Inside staterooms on Carnival do not have mini fridges.

Even though they recommend you to get there between 1 and 3pm, you can arrive earlier. Probably the earliest you will get on board is 11:30. I would recommend getting there at 11AM.

Hi,

Carnival doesn't usually bother people much about dressing up for "elegant " night. Your husband doesn't need a jacket at all . My DH wears black jeans and a shirt with a collar. I don't think anyone will stop him with his turtleneck but the only rule I have seen is that they want a shirt with a collar so not completely sure.

Yes there are wine packages and soft drink packages.

You can also bring 2 bottles of wine (each person) on board with no problem. You can drink in your room or bring glass to dinner as you choose.

Actually you may only bring on 1 bottle (750ML) of wine per adult.

Your only pay for venue on the Splendor would be the steakhouse - The Pinnacle. I believe it is $35 per person. We did the steakhouse on the Glory and it was well worth the money.

There should be a sushi station set up - it is usually between 5:30 and 8ish? Ask at the desk where it is located. Some ships now have a permanent sushi restaurant, but this ship does not.

Inside staterooms on Carnival do not have mini fridges.

Even though they recommend you to get there between 1 and 3pm, you can arrive earlier. Probably the earliest you will get on board is 11:30. I would recommend getting there at 11AM.

This is not true. I know there are mini-fridges on Conquest Class and Spirit class ships. Not sure if Splendor has them or not, though.

Lots of nice dining areas. Look for the deli section - terrific fresh made sandwiches. 24 hour pizza. Grill area for hamburgers, etc.

Lunch in dining room only on sea days. Breakfast every day.

Get there at 11. Small possibility you might have to wait, but not likely.

1. What dining venues are included with the cruise fare? EVerything except the steakhouse

2. Do inside staterooms have a fridge? Yes.

3. Are there any secret quiet spots you have found? Front of ship, accessible from floors 6 and 7, and possibly one other.

4. Is a sports jacket with turtleneck permissible for MDR (for men)? Cause that is about as dressed up as Tom is going to get!!!!! Yes.

5. Is there a soft drink package available for adults? Yes.

6. Is there a wine package offered? (e.g.: by 8 bottles get 20% off each) Yes, there are 3, I believe.

7. Is there generally a MDR open for breakfast and/or lunch service? Brunch on sea days.

8, When your cruise ticket says check-in is 1-3 pm is that in stone? (Cause what if we get to terminal earlier?) We checked in around 11:30-12ish.

We loved Splendor, and are sad to see her leaving NYC before our next planned cruise. Enjoy!

Sushi is not included (or at least it wasn't on the Sunshine, which we disembarked this morning.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk

Sushi was included on the Splendor in July, but I believe they have made the switch to it being a Taste bar. I've read there may be sushi on the buffet.

One MDR will be open for breakfast on port days and brunch on seadays.

The soda sticker is $6/pp/pd + 15%grat. It is poured from the can, you do not get the whole can. It is also good for juices and things like Shirley Temples and Cherry Cokes. For comparison the whole can is $1.95 +15%.

You can bring on 12 20oz bottles of soda & water and 1 bottle of wine per adult.

A Tea is served on seadays around 3pm. No fee is charged.

The Splendor has a few hidden dining venues-

Out the back of the lido buffet - the Tandoor is on one side and the deli is at the other. Upstairs from the buffet is the rotisserie.

If you like Indian the Tandoor is excellant (majority of the chefs are from India), it is only open at lunch.

Edited by SadieN

1. What dining venues are included with the cruise fare? All except the Steakhouse.

4. Is a sports jacket with turtleneck permissible for MDR (for men)? Cause that is about as dressed up as Tom is going to get!!!!! No Problem. He'll be absolutely fine.

6. Is there a wine package offered? (e.g.: by 8 bottles get 20% off each)

7. Is there generally a MDR open for breakfast and/or lunch service? MDR for breakfast every morning. MDR is open on for lunch on Sea days.

8, When your cruise ticket says check-in is 1-3 pm is that in stone? (Cause what if we get to terminal earlier?)No, not set in stone.

Have a great cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~