Walkie-Talkie

megreedy

Sorry, I didn't think using the term curmudgeon was name calling. Just a very descriptive term to describe a person who is not easily contented. Not too different than someone being called inconsiderate, but that is thrown around freely, and nothing is said about using that term! Name calling or not aside, let's face it, there are people who will always look for a reason to complain. Whether it is walkie talkies, smoking on your balcony or even, yes, farting in the elevator, it is all within the rules if NCL.

If they work and give peace of mind to parents, in my opinion, let people have them! People need to be more tolerant of others and quit being self centered. We all pay our cruise fare, we all have pet peeves, relax and don't let little things bother you so much!

Well,....

No.

Sorry, I didn't think using the term curmudgeon was name calling. Just a very descriptive term to describe a person who is not easily contented. Not too different than someone being called inconsiderate, but that is thrown around freely, and nothing is said about using that term! Name calling or not aside, let's face it, there are people who will always look for a reason to complain. Whether it is walkie talkies, smoking on your balcony or even, yes, farting in the elevator, it is all within the rules if NCL.

Actually inconsiderate is an adjective so it is not name calling as curmudgeon is a noun, it is. By your description you say I am not easily contented. That is definately not true. And I believe enough people on this board who have cruised with me or chatted with me would attest. For instance, Che would attest I am a very fair non-smoker and have never had an issue. 2Boyzmom would attest that I love being around kids. Mpk, Clay Clayton and ValleyVillage I think can attest that I am no curmudgeon. I have a good time. Just because I find walkie talkies and cell phones in a confined environment a negative I would NEVER let either ruin my good time. So, let's just agree to disagree on this one small issue that hardly defines someone in entirety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The original question was if walkie talkies work not how "you" feel about them.:rolleyes:

OP, my last cruise was the first time we brought walkie talkies with us. Sometimes they would work and other times they would not. The ones we brought were motorola (middle of the road) so perhaps the more expensive kind will work better.

In all of my cruises, we were never bothered by them, actually we barely see or hear people using them. The times that we have seen people with them...the conversations are very short and quiet.

The original question was if walkie talkies work not how "you" feel about them.:rolleyes:

OP, my last cruise was the first time we brought walkie talkies with us. Sometimes they would work and other times they would not. The ones we brought were motorola (middle of the road) so perhaps the more expensive kind will work better.

In all of my cruises, we were never bothered by them, actually we barely see or hear people using them. The times that we have seen people with them...the conversations are very short and quiet.

Yeah, most of our "conversations" go like this:

me: Joe where are you at?

them: In the room

me: Ok, stay there I'm on my way.

Actually inconsiderate is an adjective so it is not name calling as curmudgeon is a noun, it is. By your description you say I am not easily contented. That is definately not true. And I believe enough people on this board who have cruised with me or chatted with me would attest. For instance, Che would attest I am a very fair non-smoker and have never had an issue. 2Boyzmom would attest that I love being around kids. Mpk, Clay Clayton and ValleyVillage I think can attest that I am no curmudgeon. I have a good time. Just because I find walkie talkies and cell phones in a confined environment a negative I would NEVER let either ruin my good time. So, let's just agree to disagree on this one small issue that hardly defines someone in entirety.

Dmh15,

My previous comments were aimed at no one. As something that I deal with on a daily basis, I see people the will go out of their way to he unhappy. I agree that voicing an opinion on a singular topic doesn't make one fall into the category of a discontent. Maybe I was being a little narrow-sighted by not looking at who was making comments about the subject before casting such a generalization, but you must admit that these boards tend to take a negative turn relatively early in most threads, with people giving opinions about what others should not do so as not to annoy them on their vacation. I guess that I am just as guilty for hijacking this thread to express my frustration of this practice. Again I apologize if you felt this was a statement about you personally, but it was not. I am officially off my soap box!

Dmh15,

My previous comments were aimed at no one. As something that I deal with on a daily basis, I see people the will go out of their way to he unhappy. I agree that voicing an opinion on a singular topic doesn't make one fall into the category of a discontent. Maybe I was being a little narrow-sighted by not looking at who was making comments about the subject before casting such a generalization, but you must admit that these boards tend to take a negative turn relatively early in most threads, with people giving opinions about what others should not do so as not to annoy them on their vacation. I guess that I am just as guilty for hijacking this thread to express my frustration of this practice. Again I apologize if you felt this was a statement about you personally, but it was not. I am officially off my soap box!

I appreciate your comments. Thank you. Very nice of you. Soap box put away here too.

had ours for our first cruise.

Just me and my two kiddos

worked great since they didn't get off the ship in Bermuda and I wanted to go shopping.....

all was wonderful

they called me and i them....

until they didn't answer me

hmmm.....

they dropped theirs in the hot tub

US FRS walkie talkies are not legal to use in Bermuda. (or other foreign countries) If you get caught you could face a fine.

While I always appreciate opinions, my only question was do they work, lol. I have NO INTENT of being disrespectful to others around me if I were to use them. If I were to use them it would be for safety reasons only. My 13 year old niece will be joining us and I (and she) feel more comfortable being able to check in now and then via a walkie talkie. We don't have the luxury of using an iphone app, so I thought we could possibly use this instead.

Rest assured to everyone that is so worried about the "annoyance" factor, it won't happen from this cruiser. That said, I surely hope everyone can show respect for one another. It's the one thing I wish everyone had a little bit more of - I swear this world would be a much better place to live in if we ALL showed one more ounce of respect every day that we live.

H&J, I am a smoker and smoke on my balcony as this is allowed by NCL. So I am in the same category as someone who farts in a lift? Really !!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes.

US FRS walkie talkies are not legal to use in Bermuda. (or other foreign countries) If you get caught you could face a fine.

they were mickey mouse ones....

mainly used if you were in the Disney parks....

even shaped like Mickey Mouse....

like i said they worked up until their Mickey decided to take a dip in the hot tub. :rolleyes:

curmudgeon

a bad-tempered or surly person

Seriously. Then again, I get such a kick out of it so it's good entertainment for me.

Besides, isn't that what the most of the people on here do...tell others not to do things that bug them? Don't call the ship a boat, don't use walkie talkies, leave your cell phone in your safe. It doesn't end. It seems that if people are just going to be miserable,they are always going to find something that offends them.

they were mickey mouse ones....

mainly used if you were in the Disney parks....

even shaped like Mickey Mouse....

like i said they worked up until their Mickey decided to take a dip in the hot tub. :rolleyes:

Most commercially available Wilkie talkies purchased in the United States are on US FRS frequencies and as the poster stated can result in fines if used internationally. The frequencies are regulated and use of the frequency in another country could result in bleed over or interference with critical radio transmissions in that country.

It is not a matter of they were Mickey Mouse "toy" walkie talkies but that there can be unintended consequences to their use outside of the US. My daughter's toy rescue hero walkie talkie set happens to bleed over and receives CB channel 19 you can only imagine the responses we have heard after she signs the doc mcstuffins theme song to all trucks within range on the interstate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would not take or use walkie talkies internationally unless a specific international set has been purchased where I can set the frequency. As a previous poster stated they are illegal for use in most foreign countries. It is not a simple matter of walkie talkies I can talk to my family but the unintended consequence in a foreign port or onboard ship that another system is operating on the same frequency. Even with the relaxed electronics policy onboard aircraft's walkie talkies are stilled banned because of the frequency bleed over and interference issues.

We set meeting places and times for our kids and go from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I always appreciate opinions, my only question was do they work, lol. I have NO INTENT of being disrespectful to others around me if I were to use them. If I were to use them it would be for safety reasons only. My 13 year old niece will be joining us and I (and she) feel more comfortable being able to check in now and then via a walkie talkie. We don't have the luxury of using an iphone app, so I thought we could possibly use this instead.

Rest assured to everyone that is so worried about the "annoyance" factor, it won't happen from this cruiser. That said, I surely hope everyone can show respect for one another. It's the one thing I wish everyone had a little bit more of - I swear this world would be a much better place to live in if we ALL showed one more ounce of respect every day that we live.

As my earlier post mentioned, for this question/topic, you were about to saturated with personal opinions...in addition to ...maybe...getting a factual report on whether they work or not. This particular topic...and a few others....seem to always cause that.

As my earlier post mentioned, for this question/topic, you were about to saturated with personal opinions...in addition to ...maybe...getting a factual report on whether they work or not. This particular topic...and a few others....seem to always cause that.

They work line-of-sight.

They don't transmit well through the decks.

They DO annoy anyone within earshot of somebody who thinks hollering louder will improve the reception.

Wow. Yes, walky-talkies work on the ship. My husband and I use them occasionally to let each other know where we are on the ship (we are both 60's curmudgeons). I'd apologize if they bothered anyone, but I can't imagine they were any more bothersome than your kids screaming on the balcony or running around the dining room or you shouting back and forth while I am trying to nap on the deck chair. Sheesh.

There once was a lady from Dallas

Who always behaved without malice.

To be called a curmudgeon

Felt like a bludgeon

She's certainly not ever callous!

There once was a lady from Dallas

Who always behaved without malice.

To be called a curmudgeon

Felt like a bludgeon

She's certainly not ever callous!

Thanks for a wonderful limerick, it made me smile! I am half Irish in fact. But even more thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

We had some on our last cruise and as long as you find a good channel they work well. We bought wristwatch walkie-talkies that had a head phone port so if you want to talk to them you could use that and hear them well. You could also find some with a microphone which would cut down on the yelling into them.