Carnival Years of Changes

JMAE

Yep, my kids (starting at ages 10 and 9) have cruised 8 times and been in 14 different countries. One experience we had was our Panama Canal trip, they cried about going because it was an educational trip during the school year, but today they still say it was one of the best cruises.

Calling a cruise an educational trip, would be like saying a trip to Epcot was a cultural educational experience.

They might of learned a thing or two, but it is still a cruise.

On a cruise four years ago with John Heald he bragged about how Carnival had "live entertainment" and not pre-recorded tracks with the evening shows. Pfffft. Now they don't even have evening shows every night and count on "funny" passengers to get on stage to amuse us.

He cant even make fun of the competition anymore.

Calling a cruise an educational trip, would be like saying a trip to Epcot was a cultural educational experience.

This is pretty educational for my kids along with delivering gifts to an orphanage. It's about learning something new no matter the means of transportation.

I hope Carnival remembers it's still a cruise, something special.

11687902025_068df62d21_q.jpg

[/url] by ,

Edited by Blk_Amish

What does everyone feel are the biggest changes, positive or negative, that Carnival has done over the years? Thanks

Cruises in general have morphed into something quite unrecognizeable, starting with ship size. My personal feeling is the minute they started making McMansions out of ships, the quality and service has deteriorated. The biggest change is space/passenger ratio and then number of crew and the changes go from there.

I'm holding tight to the smaller/older ships until they are out of service. After that, I have no clue whether we'll still cruise on our vacations.

Carnival, RCI & Princess cruisers lamenting the McMansion-sized ships should defect to Holland America if they want something on the smaller size (and higher price). I just drool when I look at HAL's 'world cruises' on their website - only $19K for a 114-day around the world cruise. ;-)

Carnival, RCI & Princess cruisers lamenting the McMansion-sized ships should defect to Holland America if they want something on the smaller size (and higher price).

We sailed on our first Holland America cruise last summer. At 82,000 tons, the Westerdam was hardly a small ship, but definitely smaller than my two previous ships (the 130,000 ton Carnival Dream and the 225,000 ton Allure of the Seas).

The experience was definitely a throwback to the more traditional days of cruising, with a more sophisticated atmosphere, port lecturers, fully stocked libraries, truly formal evenings, attention to detail, zero stupid pool games, and a blissfully quiet lido deck.

But as much as we enjoyed the experience provided by Holland, I can see how today's average cruiser, used to modern cruising and entertainment, would be bored to death on Holland. It's truly not for everyone.

Edited by Tapi

But as much as we enjoyed the experience provided by Holland, I can see how today's average cruiser, used to modern cruising and entertainment, would be bored to death on Holland. It's truly not for everyone.

I always wonder if there will ever come a time when that will appeal to me???

Their school gave them credit. :)

We sailed on our first Holland America cruise last summer. At 82,000 tons, the Westerdam was hardly a small ship, but definitely smaller than my two previous ships (the 130,000 ton Carnival Dream and the 225,000 ton Allure of the Seas).

The experience was definitely a throwback to the more traditional days of cruising, with a more sophisticated atmosphere, port lecturers, fully stocked libraries, truly formal evenings, attention to detail, zero stupid pool games, and a blissfully quiet lido deck.

That sounds really nice.

I think that DH and I would enjoy that. but

We don't get bored on cruises and we don't usually go to any of Carnival's offerings.

Maybe the early comedy show if we can get in.

Our first cruise was in 1982 on Song of Norway.

There was entertainment on one night.

No televisions in the cabins.

We were not bored.

Edited by mzloolue

I sailed 20 years ago , heck more than 20 LOL...on smaller ships, ships that had "step over" to get into your cabin, sailed with bunk beds 2x , but the food was fantastic, people dressed up. Baked alaska parads, tableside flambe, skeet shooting - it is a wonder the ship didn't catch on fire.. Oh...smoking or non sides in the dining room haha

If you did not get there in time for dinner you were eating hot dogs or burgers, there was no real "dinner" buffet

But of course a huge midnight buffet

I would not want to go back to all of that but there was a sweet spot on Carnival - in the mid 90's to 2010 or so I think? when we had great shows, Caribbean deck band, Filipino Cover Band, more waiters in dining room...captains party...."fun farewell " party last sea day - an hour of free drinks. Definitely more staff IMHO

The entertainment is a huge factor for me - I was shocked at how puny and bad the "Playlist" shows are and the thought of repeating the same shows over and over on different ships is a real deal breaker for me. I am looking to the Freedom before she loses her great shows Big Easy and Ticket to Ride.

I would not want to go back to all of that but there was a sweet spot on Carnival - in the mid 90's to 2010 or so I think?.

For me, the best years were 2003 through 2008...2003 and 2004 being the absolute best.

You can say what you may regarding cuts made by Carnival like entertainment but then compare cruising on the Tropical to the Breeze. Tell me you would rather cruise on the Tropical (Not a bad ship for the times but absolutely no comparison to the new ones). No, things are not all that bad and though Carnival has made cuts, I have no problem cruising with them today.

Given the choice of a do over of our Jubilee Cruise 20 years ago and the Magic in 2012 - I might just choose the Jubilee. Cabins were about the same size and price was about the same. Sure the food and entertainment spaces are more impressive on the magic, but there is nothing of substance going on in these wonderful venues. Give me the men of Atlantis in the show lounge and trio mar on the pool deck, waiters with time to get to know us and our tastes, same with the stewards. Let me drive golf balls and shoot skeet off the stern and enjoy the an afternoon with DW on the F deck. The one substantial improvement over this time has been the evolution in design to make private balconies affordable. If not for our cove balcony, we would choose a redo of our Jubilee cruise over our Magic cruise. Coves and Cucina del Captino kept it close.

MSC "Americanized" Divina from Miami was one of the best cruises I have been on - combining old school with ultra modern

MSC stopped the 5 language stuff for USA = hired former Princess cruise director, hired top execs from Royal and Celebrity - and hired some staff from them too

Best shows at sea -period...fantastic shows every night - huge cast, dancers, European cirque d' soleil type acrobats etc...plus fly in acts and a Michael Jackson show - standing O's every night

TONS of live music, dancing, dueling pianos, even bowling alley and 4 d theater. Beautiful beautiful ship.Buffet open 20 hours

Old school - NO stupid announcements unless for safety. NO art auction Less selling and pushing at you. Dining room open for all 3 meals on both sea and PORT days

Having been on a 7 night - they have a true Captain's party for all, a true past guest party even for those that sailed only 3 nights,

they also have theme nights on 7 night - white hot night, "italian night" (*wear red/white/green)...and a 60's 70's night. I have not seen that in years other than the White night on NCL

Oh..and the price is really cheap cause most people don't know them "yet"

They are very popular in Europe. Even the uniforms worn by the staff, workers are upscale. On my last Carnival cruise in Dec the front desk no longer even has blazers, they have a cheap shapeless blue and red cotton jacket. Very sad. MSC has huge entertainment staff that gets people dancing. Oh and one night they have "Officer and a Gentleman" - all the handsome Italian officers in dress whites come to the lounge to dance with the passengers haha

Thinking back - they used to have the true captains party then changed it to the $1 off and instead had the "fun farewell" which was not widely publicized, an hour of free drinks at end of cruise. They only put a little announcement about it at the start of the cruise not on the actual day, so many did not know about it. Then it went poof - they said due to "lack of attendance" but of course most people did NOT know about it haha

Around that time the cutbacks became more and more evident

The worst for me is the entertainment

I can deal with the lack of Captain's party - but the thought of seeing "The Brits" a 2nd time? OH NO

Thinking back - they used to have the true captains party then changed it to the $1 off and instead had the "fun farewell" which was not widely publicized, an hour of free drinks at end of cruise. They only put a little announcement about it at the start of the cruise not on the actual day, so many did not know about it. Then it went poof - they said due to "lack of attendance" but of course most people did NOT know about it haha

Around that time the cutbacks became more and more evident

The worst for me is the entertainment

I can deal with the lack of Captain's party - but the thought of seeing "The Brits" a 2nd time? OH NO

Very true. JH has indicated they are taking a good look at the entertainment offered as I think they know they have a big problem with it.

Playlist is apparently a disaster.

You can say what you may regarding cuts made by Carnival like entertainment but then compare cruising on the Tropical to the Breeze. Tell me you would rather cruise on the Tropical (Not a bad ship for the times but absolutely no comparison to the new ones). No, things are not all that bad and though Carnival has made cuts, I have no problem cruising with them today.

Went through my records and came across a 1991-2001 Carnival Brochure. I looked at the Deck Plan for the Tropicale and here is what I found. There were only 8 decks and that counts the Sports deck which was about a quarter of the size of the other main decks. The theater was 1 floor and had considerable support poles that blocked the view. There was only 1 restaurant and the only other place serving foor was a pizza grill. There were no Deli's or specialty grills like Guy Bergers. I did see about 5 lounges or bars. The Library was about the size of a Balcony Cabin. I do remember seeing pipes all along the ceilings of the decks to carry water and waste. If there was a ship's store, it was not indicated in the deck plans. Maybe they had stands on the Promenade (I don't remember.) The funny part of it all is that we had a great time when we sailed the Tropicale. Next month we sail the Breeze with 15 decks (They don't count Deck 13) and I would need several pages to list all the amenities that were not available on the Tropicale. I would say, there have been a few changes.

Edited by richfret