Carnival Years of Changes

JMAE

The biggest change to affect me negatively is Carnival pulling out of the northeast ports of Baltimore, NYC, and Boston. And also the port of Norfolk. And, no European cruises in the near future. Makes me sad. But this may turn into a positive change, as it will push me to try other cruise lines leaving out of the northeast, in addition to looking into cruise lines that are still cruising the Med. Hopefully it will push me out of the Carnival rut I've been stuck in the past dozen cruises.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by nodogkisses

We sail on other lines every other year or so, I find all have made cuts in entertainment and some services, but I still enjoy cruising and the fact that the prices seem to have some down a little is a good thing.

The perks they originally offered frequent cruisers, lured the innocents to not try any other cruise lines for a while. Cut backs, no steel drum band, not much in the games on board, etc, and now they change the menu again, to make it easier on the staff. Well they needed it.

just off CCL NCL & RCCL in last 2 months Live music in the shows on NCL & RCCL RCCL had a 9 piece orchestra BRILLIANT

Dream had 7 and that was fine. Just one flyon for the week.

Even worse one night they had love and marriage game they used to have during the day.

Either entertainment gets upgraded or thinking we are about done with Carnival.

Everyone is talking about what they have cut and I am also disappointed in those cuts, but carnival must be given credit for their price point.

Look at what a cruise cost 20 years ago. It was far more expensive than now. Not a lot in our world has dropped in price since 1985. Yes, much has been lost in the way of amenities, but if prices had stayed what they were then or increased with inflation like everything else, I doubt I would be cruising this year.

Everyone is talking about what they have cut and I am also disappointed in those cuts, but carnival must be given credit for their price point.

Look at what a cruise cost 20 years ago. It was far more expensive than now. Not a lot in our world has dropped in price since 1985. Yes, much has been lost in the way of amenities, but if prices had stayed what they were then or increased with inflation like everything else, I doubt I would be cruising this year.

Very true but they can only reduce prices so far before they cannot make money and keep their passengers.

You can say what you may regarding cuts made by Carnival like entertainment but then compare cruising on the Tropical to the Breeze. Tell me you would rather cruise on the Tropical (Not a bad ship for the times but absolutely no comparison to the new ones). No, things are not all that bad and though Carnival has made cuts, I have no problem cruising with them today.

A plus for me is the lunch choices on the 2.0 ships especially the Breeze . I was on the breeze in June then the victory in December what a difference, the choices on the victory were minimal

Sent from my HTCONE using Forums mobile app

Lowered prices from the thousands in the 1980s to mere hundreds today.

Cruising used to be something only the upper class could do, now practically everyone can.

EXACTLY....I just looked back on my cruise docs from Sept of 2006 on the Victory for an Extended aft to Canada/New England and paid $2678.00 for 2 people not including flight or precruise hotel.

I am now cruising 7 and 8 days with all of the above for less than $800.00 per person WITH A BALCONY:D

Edited by PittsburghGirlee

They have cheapen the whole cruising experience, making it more a boat ride. They have lowered the quality severely in matter of years, 5 or so. The overall rate has not significantly dropped in 5 years to justify the level of decline. I got more and paid about the same on my first 3 Carnival cruises, compared to the last which was the most expensive.

Look at Carnival rates and service from 5-6 years ago? Twenty years ago, many aren't around to recall those days when crusing was he vacation of a lifetime. When it happened it was worth the lifetime wait:D They need to stop going for every Tom, Dick, and Harry and be a bit more quality than quantity focus. Carnival FUN is a great product that should be maintained.

Edited by Blk_Amish

oh I don't know the tropical was a great ship. George the mater dee(ha spelling) greated everyone as they came in the dining room. live steel band when you entered the building to embark. live bands in at least three venues. free expresso in the diningroom. great shows EVERY night. oh I don't know past guests were treated special, now if you do a few cruises you get to go to the past guest party, and platinum and above (of which there was none) and you looked to make milestone with 25 cruises not 199 days that they threw in mid stream without even grandfathering those of us who were close into. yeah the tropical was a pretty special ship I think, and the good old days were too

They have cheapen the whole cruising experience, making it more a boat ride. They have lowered the quality severely in matter of years, 5 or so. The overall rate has not significantly dropped in 5 years to justify the level of decline. I got more and paid about the same on my first 3 Carnival cruises, compared to the last which was the most expensive.

This is why I chose to try Celebrity, I thought I'd pay more however I just paid $450 for a five night cruise and they picked up the a drink package and paid the gratuities....a lot less than Carnival so now I'm wondering what I'm in for....or hopefully I found fleet of ships with a new experience to enjoy....keeping my fingers crossed..

Edited by going2cruz

One of the best recent changes is the "past guests reception". They have limited it to gold, platinum and diamond guests. That was such a great choice! What used to be a overcrowded poor excuse of a party where you had thimble sized drinks and maybe one pass of the appetizer tray, now is a wonderful experience with full sized drinks and plenty of food to go around and around!