Using Travel Agent

e2011

I must ask this question even though I suspect over 50% of the people on Cruise Critic are travel agents. Since all cruise fares are the same wheather you use a TA, Disney Cruise Lines direct or their internet site for a given date and room class, what kind of perks are you seeing from TA's right now? I am not talking about reasons to use an agent but rather the question is specifically what are some of you getting as perks from your TA such as free bottle of wine, on board credits that come from their commission, etc...

Edited by e2011

There are many agencies and each establishes it's own policies/perks. I use an agency that gives an onboard credit in addition to amazing service. In the past I've used an agency that gave an onboard credit but no service. I can name another agency that usually gives a gift type perk--photo package, coupon book, etc. and their offer changes once or twice a year.

on our last DCL cruise, $150 On board credit and a gift basket. I didn't care about the gift basket, I booked with the TA because they offered the OBC. If they didn't offer this, I would book directly through DCL.

Thank you. this is exactly what I was looking for. Exact numbers and gifts. I appreciate your post.

8-9% of "cruise fare" back, in the form of a cash card to their store, that arrives in the mail, a week after completing the sailing. In VA we can cash them at the store and walk out with the cash fwiw, (well, last year I was successful) YMMV.

TA not too knowledgeable about DCL, but ... @ 9% who cares. :D

Bookable online and phone. Must be a member to use them though.

HTH and is allowed.

Side note, and this is personal opinion only.. If you are looking for a TA on the basis of OBC/Gifts, that's fine for a one-shot booking. But longer term, focusing on service will make for better trips, even if the perks are not as good.

I could do a lot better perk wise than my current TA, but I wouldn't trade her support for any amount of discounts.

Side note, and this is personal opinion only.. If you are looking for a TA on the basis of OBC/Gifts, that's fine for a one-shot booking. But longer term, focusing on service will make for better trips, even if the perks are not as good.

I could do a lot better perk wise than my current TA, but I wouldn't trade her support for any amount of discounts.

I agree. I have a TA who is very knowledgable and is an expert on all things Disney. She also has been on most of the other lines and ships personally and I plan on continuing as a client. I was just curious because she does typically give us back 5% as SBC. I know she only makes 10 so I am pleased with this perk. She does need to eat! And most of cruises are 7 day and typically we spend around $5k per cruise since we always go concierge. Honestly a $500 commission on a $5k trip does not seem like much but I guess its volume in that business.

Edited by e2011

If she makes 10 percent she is doing well - depending on volume some lines pay as low as 4 percent.

Something to think about though is that not all of the $5K is commissionable. ONLY the fare is - any taxes, port fees, etc do not count toward their share. Advance paid tips, transfers etc also don't count. They may get a small bit from pre-cruise and post-cruise hotels if they book them (if you do a Disney land-sea combo they can do ok). They may also make some on trip insurance...

I agree. I have a TA who is very knowledgable and is an expert on all things Disney. She also has been on most of the other lines and ships personally and I plan on continuing as a client. I was just curious because she does typically give us back 5% as SBC. I know she only makes 10 so I am pleased with this perk. She does need to eat! And most of cruises are 7 day and typically we spend around $5k per cruise since we always go concierge. Honestly a $500 commission on a $5k trip does not seem like much but I guess its volume in that business.

Unless things have changed, DCL's basic commission is 10% of the cruise fare portion of the ticket. As noted, that is NOT the amount we pay to go on a cruise; it is the ticket less taxes and government fees.

DCL also pays an agency a bonus based on the amount of DCL they book in a given time period. I believe the max they can get is a total of 15% of the commissionable amount booked. Again--this was several years ago and may not be currently accurate.

From those amounts, a reputable agency would be paying their agents, providing benefits like medical insurance, vacation time off, employer share of taxes, etc. Some agencies make their agents independent contractors, avoiding paying any benefits. It really isn't easy to compare apples to apples.

To OP, on my last cruise, I got a $150 OBC. The amount the agency I use gives is based on the cost of the cruise.

I book straight with a specific Disney Cruise vacation planner. She is incredible and I can email her at the drop of a hat, she has helped straighten out some serious accounting problems that were a DC mix up on their end and I wouldn't book without her. If not for her help, I would never have been able to go on my parent's anniversary cruise and that is the truth. She also placed all our families' rooms connecting and next to each other when we had VGT (no guarantee of placement anywhere on ship with balcony) so we could open up all our verandas together. It was wonderful! I'm not sure how much help an independent TA would have been able to do for that. Additionally she worked very hard to keep it a surprise so that Dad wasn't copied on stuff we booked (cuz it was a surprise.) It was such personal service and same when we booked our next one. I have two Chase Disney reward ACCTS and get we on board credit plus have over $500 in rewards towards this cruise (and still have four months left to accrue more!) So for me, I get the discounts and incredible customer service. I wouldn't consider going independent of a Disney rep but that is because they have really earned it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I book straight with a specific Disney Cruise vacation planner. She is incredible and I can email her at the drop of a hat, she has helped straighten out some serious accounting problems that were a DC mix up on their end and I wouldn't book without her. If not for her help, I would never have been able to go on my parent's anniversary cruise and that is the truth. She also placed all our families' rooms connecting and next to each other when we had VGT (no guarantee of placement anywhere on ship with balcony) so we could open up all our verandas together. It was wonderful! I'm not sure how much help an independent TA would have been able to do for that. Additionally she worked very hard to keep it a surprise so that Dad wasn't copied on stuff we booked (cuz it was a surprise.) It was such personal service and same when we booked our next one. I have two Chase Disney reward ACCTS and get we on board credit plus have over $500 in rewards towards this cruise (and still have four months left to accrue more!) So for me, I get the discounts and incredible customer service. I wouldn't consider going independent of a Disney rep but that is because they have really earned it.

Our TA has done all those things for us many times except keeping a surprise because we have never had occasion to surprise someone with a cruise. We have the Chase Disney card as well. I think the main thing is to use someone you like regardless of their agency affiliation.

Unless things have changed' date=' DCL's basic commission is 10% of the cruise fare portion of the ticket. As noted, that is NOT the amount we pay to go on a cruise; it is the ticket less taxes and government fees.

[/quote']

Some of the fare itself is deemed "NCF - Non commissionable Fare" so % of the total fare is less, sometimes substantially less

You are correct, but I've never been able to figure out what "non-commissionable fare/items" are. I understand the term, but on my invoices, it is always the taxes/govt. fees. Anything else is hidden, although it may be built in somewhere.

Edited by moki'smommy

NCF's include Port Charges as well as tax's & fee's .

It certainly does reduce the TA's comm .

Many US TA's are homebased and split the comm. with the large agency or consortium that they contract with.

That total comm. is more like 15% not 10% if the agency is a top producer.

Any TA earning just 10% is certainly not working with a large agency or booking a lot of cruises..

Edited by MCC retired

NCF's include Port Charges as well as tax's & fee's .

It certainly does reduce the TA's comm .

Many US TA's are homebased and split the comm. with the large agency or consortium that they contract with.

That total comm. is more like 15% not 10% if the agency is a top producer.

Any TA earning just 10% is certainly not working with a large agency or booking a lot of cruises..

Thats strange because our agent's firm is one of the top in the country and she is a top producer for them. Maybe she does get 15%?? I thought at one time she told us it was 10% net to her. If I was a TA I would book my own cruises and give myself 100% back! That would be sweet.

Edited by e2011

The base is 10 percent. Top producers can get a bonus plus some agencies award a higher share once an agent books a specific amount of business, so 15% is not out of the realm of possibility.

Thats strange because our agent's firm is one of the top in the country and she is a top producer for them. Maybe she does get 15%?? I thought at one time she told us it was 10% net to her. If I was a TA I would book my own cruises and give myself 100% back! That would be sweet.

I am glad you see the values of using your favorite travel agent. Good service and knowledge is much more valuable than a few more $ of OBC!

I am glad you see the values of using your favorite travel agent. Good service and knowledge is much more valuable than a few more $ of OBC!

Absolutely agree. However there are excellent agents who give both great, knowledgeable service and a generous OBC or other perk.

I have used my travel agent for all of my cruises. I started the first time because I saw an advertisement from him I took advantage of. He gave me so many good tips and hints that really helped make the vacation special, so I decided to use him ever since. He does give OBC based on the cost of the cruise, but I find his knowledge and expertise is worth far more.

He will also book our flights and hotels, if needed, and handles any problems that may arise - even if they are not his fault. It is definitely worth having someone to fall back on for help, if things don't go right.

My advice, since it costs the same, use a travel agent.