MDR Attire

Eager2Explore

Let me bounce to the other end of the spectrum:

Does Carnival partner with any formal wear vendors to provide rentals - delivered and in the cabin before leaving - then after the cruise you just leave them in the closet and they take care of the rest.

Long shot I know, but I'm feeling like dressing up for the Mrs. this time out, if the service is available. HAL did it years ago, but then they cater to a different demo...

Yes they do ; -)

And we will be the (other) over dressed couple in the corner enjoying each other in all our finery... So you will be in good company! Promise!

This thread cracks me up.

It's all good, and I dress how I feel is appropriate and please myself with no concern for how others dress, but the wide variety of perspectives slays me. A shirt with a collar viewed as a big concession to formal night...

And needing to be told to not wear a swim suit to dine...

*That strangled sound is me cracking up ; -)*

Edited by sarafinadh

Semi Formal on another ship said "Jacket & tie". I turned up Jacket & Cravat Entry denied by the maitre d '. "Sorry Sir that's not a tie."

No probs. Went round the corner, removed cravat & used the tie, lying in wait in my pocket. Maitre 'd welcomed me, as usual. I was just seeing how a cravat, which is a smart piece of neckwear but normally part of one's daytime code, would be regarded.

Any information on percentage wearing "black tie" on Carnival Splendour's "Elegant Nights". 8 night cruise 28 January 2014 to Bahamas? Loath to bring "black tie" for one or two nights "Elegant" when Ive been on code free Norwegian since 16 January 2014 where "The only suit you need is your bathing suit".

Edited by kasuku

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/?c=car

Yes! Found it. And feel free to wear whatever you want next table over - I ain't wearing it for you anyways and I'd rather everyone be comfy for dinner! :D

I have a suggestion...buy a tux. You can pick one up at JC Penny for approximately what you're going to pay to rent one. No, it's not Armani but neither is the one on the ship! It's a nice, wool tux. DH has one I bought him for our anniversary a few years back; I bought it for the sole purpose of cruising. He's worn it four times total (two nights each on Celebrity and Disney) and if we hadn't had to cancel our Celebrity cruise March 2014, he'd be wearing it then, too. We've definitely gotten our money's worth and nobody is looking at the label.

He looks very nice in it and I get to wear a beautiful gown, too. It never ceases to amaze me how shoddily some men dress when their wives/girlfriends are dressed to the nines. Good for you for wanting to dress up!

Your wife will love it!

We are not a "different demographic" than the folks who sail on HAL. We are just not into dressing up! We have money, education,and enough class not to need to put on a show for others.

Folks are of course free to be as formal as they like but it is not necessary to "put down" those of us who have long ago decided that clothes do not "make the man" on vacation! Formal wear will be in the minority on Carnival.

That's why we like it!!

We are not a "different demographic" than the folks who sail on HAL. We are just not into dressing up! We have money, education,and enough class not to need to put on a show for others.

Folks are of course free to be as formal as they like but it is not necessary to "put down" those of us who have long ago decided that clothes do not "make the man" on vacation! Formal wear will be in the minority on Carnival.

That's why we like it!!

I feel the same way riffatsea. I don't feel the need to dress every night for dinner . It's enough that I have to do it for office everyday. 2 nights of dressing up on formal nights yes, 7 nights NO !

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I have a suggestion...buy a tux. You can pick one up at JC Penny for approximately what you're going to pay to rent one. No, it's not Armani but neither is the one on the ship! It's a nice, wool tux. DH has one I bought him for our anniversary a few years back; I bought it for the sole purpose of cruising. He's worn it four times total (two nights each on Celebrity and Disney) and if we hadn't had to cancel our Celebrity cruise March 2014, he'd be wearing it then, too. We've definitely gotten our money's worth and nobody is looking at the label.

He looks very nice in it and I get to wear a beautiful gown, too. It never ceases to amaze me how shoddily some men dress when their wives/girlfriends are dressed to the nines. Good for you for wanting to dress up!

Your wife will love it!

I bounce around too much with my weight - plus I'd rather not lug it around - and finally - I got the little closet so unless the DW free's up space in her giganto one, I'm limited to my wardrobe! :)

I've found it varies.

When we took our first cruise and sailed out of Florida, jeans (even "good jeans"--dark wash, freshly starched and pressed, definately NOT for every day wear!) weren't allowed in the MDR on formal night but when we sailed out of Texas, they didn't even bat an eye. Down here, jeans *are* formal wear. :D We wear them with everything!

Yes! He can wear what he wants on non elegant nights.

There is no rule that says he MUST wear long pants and a collared shirt.

He may find that it is chilly inside and may not end up wanting to wear the shorts. I am always cold.

DS and I were always cold, too. He kept stealing my zip front hoodie jacket because he was freezing.

Thank goodness I packed a few shawls to keep myself warm! I almost never go anywhere without at least one handknit somewhere about my person, though. :)

I was recently on the Dream and For formal nights it was not unusual to see many wearing bib overalls with a new hanky hanging out of their pocket as a accessory. The shirt was optional.

🐷

I've found it varies.

When we took our first cruise and sailed out of Florida, jeans (even "good jeans"--dark wash, freshly starched and pressed, definately NOT for every day wear!) weren't allowed in the MDR on formal night but when we sailed out of Texas, they didn't even bat an eye. Down here, jeans *are* formal wear. :D We wear them with everything!

I guess we are from a different part of Texas ( it is a big state ) :D LOL Bill