Room steward tipping...how much and when?

RyanDMB99@aol.com

Ive never tipped the room steward before (just went with the auto tipping on sail and sign). Question for the people who DO tip more- how much do u give them and do u do it at the beginning or the end of the week. Ive always had good service in the past but I feel I want to give them something more on my upcoming Dream cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Ive never tipped the room steward before (just went with the auto tipping on sail and sign). Question for the people who DO tip more- how much do u give them and do u do it at the beginning or the end of the week. Ive always had good service in the past but I feel I want to give them something more on my upcoming Dream cruise.

Depending on the service we ussally tip the room steward between $50 and $100 on the last night.

We usually give around $20-$30 and we give it on the last day Same for our waiters

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Do you ask for anything over and above just the standard making up your room twice a day? Im trying to get a feel for what people tip and what they ask for in return.

Do you ask for anything over and above just the standard making up your room twice a day? Im trying to get a feel for what people tip and what they ask for in return.

That's just for doing their normal job. If we ask for something specific, like extra ice or unlock our balcony door, or anything along those lines, we tip a little at the time of request. Nothing much, 3 or 4 dollars.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

In the past, I have done $40 if I am not asking for anything out of the norm. One year we sailed needing "extra assistance" since one passenger mainly preferred to say in her cabin (balcony with a view) and then we tipped 80.00 (or double our normal) just because we were asking for more service.

We have given $20 in the past but no longer. Honestly have never had someone go above and beyond their job description.

I don't do it just because they go above and beyond, I just think they deserve more than what the standard is. Just my opinion.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Wow.....some of you guys are VERY good tippers!!

And all this time I thought I was doing pretty good by giving an extra $25-$30 on the last day....:o. Now I feel like a cheapsake.......:p

As others have said........tip over and above or not.....it's always your own personal decision.

Happy Sailing Everybody!!!!

And all this time I thought I was doing pretty good by giving an extra $25-$30 on the last day....:o. Now I feel like a cheapsake.......:p

As others have said........tip over and above or not.....it's always your own personal decision.

Lol, I don't think you're a cheapskate, people who remove tips are cheapskates. I tip extra as much for myself as for them, I think it makes a person feel good when they make someone's day.

Some people have more disposable income than others. I have a Newfoundland and a teen boy in braces. All my money goes towards food and making sure the orthodontist and vet drive nice cars.

depending on how many ppl in the cabin, but usually around 15-20 and I do it at the end of the cruise we've always had good service from our room stewards. same with the waiters though I will say, our last cruise on the victory out of san juan, we actually didn't give extra tips at the end. they switched them and neither team not personable and were slow. we always pre-pay our gratuities which then means we never adjust them. so they still got tips, just not the extra at the end.

Edited by jks336

I always leave my auto tips on. (even when service is less than desirable, but this has rarely happened on my cruises)

But I only tip extra when the service, be it by the MDR staff or the room steward, is exceptional. Out of the 7 cruises I have taken, I have had 4 exceptional room stewards who got an extra 20.00 from me given evening before disembarking. But out of the 7 cruises I have taken, the MDR staff have all been exceptional, and have gotten the same. As for MDR staff, sometimes a 20.00, and sometimes 10.00, and usually the same to the head waiter and the assistant. Once I gave more to the assistant than the head waiter, because he was the worker bee, and also the most pleasant.

I have also, on the last night of the cruise, gone to a bar where I had exceptional service from a particular bartender, and given 10.00.

I always tip the room service delivery person at least 2.00, and sometimes more depending on how much they bring.

Edited by SMSACE6

I've only done one cruise.

On the last night I made a little origami boat out of some 20's and then made waves out of 1's and 5's.

It was probably around $50 or so but I did the boat to be cute. I think he liked it, I left a note for him too and he took it with him.

I've heard that it is good to leave the steward a small gift or tip on the first night (to ensure good service maybe??) So we did that too. Maybe $20 or so.

I'm from the UK, we don't tip here customarily. BUT I believe in tipping for exemplary service. And that's what I feel we received.

We usually give the Head Steward and Head Waiter additional $$ for their teams---usually $10-$15 per person above the auto tips.

We have encountered extremely friendly, hard working staff on each of our cruises and we thank them for their outstanding service with extra tips.

We usually give the Head Steward and Head Waiter additional $$ for their teams---usually $10-$15 per person above the auto tips.

We have encountered extremely friendly, hard working staff on each of our cruises and we thank them for their outstanding service with extra tips.

this is what we do too. but after reading the other comments, maybe we need to give more!

I always day 1 hand my room steward a 20$ bill and ask for a extra ice bucket and last day that one is dependent on the service provided great ones and I can afford it 50 more dollars and one time I had a room steward ripped my camera bag with his vacuum but he was great he got another 20$. So for me I had one a couple years ago if I could have afforded it I would have gave him 1000$ he knew we had 2 kids with us he really went above and beyond he taught us towel animals cause my kids ask him for 3 days straight after taking the ships class he spent the better part of a hour teaching them.