If we all wait to pay the lowest amount....

the english lady

OH has just started having a ship magazine delivered-not a cruising one.

It has in there about the state Fred O is in-huge debts,shorter cruises, more o/nighters (so they do not use fuel I guess)

While lots of people come on here to state how Bert has paid less than me-if we all wait to pay the lowest fare, what direction would P and O be heading in.

It's funny, I just went over to the Fred boards to see what is being said there.

Some of the comments are along the lines of I paid top whack for my cruise and have just found them selling the same cruise cheaper..sounds familiar?

Fred charges if you are on the equivalant of a getaway fare and wish to change your allocated dining time (£2pppn) ..people were complaining about having to pay that.

Everyone is being squeezed but if we all chase after the bottom dollar.

Anyway this is a cheery post for the new year-isn't it.....:(:(

Mmmmm...not sure how long it would be before there would be no cruise ships to sail on. I don't think these low prices are viable long term. My view is that if you pay £100 pn for an inside cabin that's a a good price...anything less and its a bargain. If we all could wait for these low prices....and I think that is what is now happening with quite a high percentage of passengers....then many many corners and cutbacks would have to happen and the cruising experience would change completely. One can't expect low prices and high standards.

The Cruise Lines have made a rod for their own back by bringing in capacity that far exceeds the current, and foreseeable, demand---apparently this year sees the introduction of a further 14000 passenger spaces.

People realise that initial brochure prices will not only be discounted, but may well be artificially inflated so that even with a measure of discounting the Cruise Line has an inbuilt buffer.

The answer would appear to be for the big Cruise Lines to reduce capacity, and be prepared to sail a ship under occupied but with passengers prepared to pay a price that guarantees maintenance of high standards for the passengers, and profit for the Cruise Line.

My recent 10 day cruise on the Queen Elizabeth cost £499pp for a balcony stateroom, but the ship was still 400 passengers under full capacity, so heavy discounting does not necessarily produce satisfactory results for the Cruise Line.

While there is over capacity, chasing discounts will be the name of the game.

So if P and O are bringing in Brittania, does that mean they will ditch some of their smaller older ships?

Totally agree if people pay little they must not expect a lot.

I am always amazed that people claim not to know about the different fare structures, but as soon as they discover the likes of select and getaway fares, after booking, they manage to find the likes of cruise critic to complain that the have been cheated/scammed etc.

The cruise companies rely on new customer ignorance. For example, the Early Booker fares have been missing on and off over the holidays. We know and wait; others will book at full price. Only a fraction of cruisers come on forums.

My point is that forum members are quite unrepresentative of the proverbial man on the Clapham cruiseship.

Stuart

The cruise companies rely on new customer ignorance. For example, the Early Booker fares have been missing on and off over the holidays. We know and wait; others will book at full price. Only a fraction of cruisers come on forums.

My point is that forum members are quite unrepresentative of the proverbial man on the Clapham cruiseship.

Stuart

The popular Saturday National Newspapers frequently contain page after page of adverts for discounted cruises, so even people who have never cruised before are well aware of 'the name of the game'.

I agree that £100 ppn is a good deal even if they do come in cheaper later on. That is for an inside cabin. We have often booked at just under that. I also agree that with these mega sized ships, they are creating their own problem. On the other hand, there are loads of us who like small ships, so Fred ought to be doing better.

For me its about value for money. Not just getting the least expensive deal. Unfortunately all cruise lines are constantly cutting things from their offering. P&O seem to be cutting more than many others. Therefore if I look to cruise P&O it has to be at good price. People wont pay the same for less.

I agree that £100 ppn is a good deal even if they do come in cheaper later on. That is for an inside cabin. We have often booked at just under that..

My Getaway on Arcadia in November was £49.95 pppn.........for a balcony!

Best bargain I have ever had.

Brian

Just been browsing the Baltic cruises on P&O site and see that the early saver prices are back. Didn't think they'd be back until February!!!! We do want to go to Russia this year, probably May/June so will keep my eye on prices.;)

KevinYork

We see what you say about wanting 'value for money' but that cuts both ways.

Reading this thread and most agree that around £100 a night for an inside berth is a fair price. Obviously it will rise for an outside or balcony.

And if everyone paid that then the end product would be high. The problem is that , due to the price cutting, getaways etc etc, a lot of people are coming round to the idea that around £50 a night is 'about right'. Then those same people are the ones coming on here whinging and moaning about the lowering of standards on board.

You cannot have it both ways.

And actually that is what P&O really need to address and make their mind up about. Do they want to run a classy product which may mean sailing not full on some cruises. Or keep lowering prices and standards which will end up with many loyal customers heading to other cruise lines where standards have not dropped. And leave P&O to the fat, tattooed sun loungers who can tuck into pizzas and burgers all day. The problem for some is that the second option may well end up being a more profitable route to take - especially with the Brittania arriving soon with another 3500 berths to fill.

KevinYork

We see what you say about wanting 'value for money' but that cuts both ways.

Reading this thread and most agree that around £100 a night for an inside berth is a fair price. Obviously it will rise for an outside or balcony.

And if everyone paid that then the end product would be high. The problem is that , due to the price cutting, getaways etc etc, a lot of people are coming round to the idea that around £50 a night is 'about right'. Then those same people are the ones coming on here whinging and moaning about the lowering of standards on board.

You cannot have it both ways.

And actually that is what P&O really need to address and make their mind up about. Do they want to run a classy product which may mean sailing not full on some cruises. Or keep lowering prices and standards which will end up with many loyal customers heading to other cruise lines where standards have not dropped. And leave P&O to the fat, tattooed sun loungers who can tuck into pizzas and burgers all day. The problem for some is that the second option may well end up being a more profitable route to take - especially with the Brittania arriving soon with another 3500 berths to fill.

Actually the pizzas on Ventura were not too bad for an afternoon snack after a day frightening the fish with my fat, tattooed 71 year old body!!

Actually 5 ft 7 and 13st with one fading tattoo

Does this say it all?

Half the realistic price. !!

No wonder P&O have the knives out.

Maybe half the realistic price for the summer but about right for the off-peak season and comparable to other mass-market lines. For example:

NCL Jade 10 night January East Med cruise £299 for balcony

NCL Jade 11 night January West Med cruise £399 for balcony (£450 for suite)

A Costa 11 night December West Med cruise was £199 for balcony!

Given the choice I would prefer to pay the "right price"-higher than getaway fares and keep cruising special.

I do sometimes look at other brands ,but unless I am looking in the wrong place, cannot find any that sail from Southampton that often. I really do not like all the hanging around with flying now, which is why we took to cruising big time.

P and O fits us perfectly. I would like to stay with them. Will they bite the bullet and say no more really silly prices...

Is it that new cruisers now know the cost of everything ,but the value of nothing.

But actually it's not working for them at all. On board Oriana in September I was talking to the Loyalty Manager when we booked a cruise for next year. She told me that for instance, one Baltic Cruise went out with 800+ Getaways on board. That is a big loss for them she told me and she also told me that the Vantage/Getaway would finish, which it did. They can't continue like this or somebody will go bust.