Making Reservations for Specialty Restaurants - Can You do That Before Boarding?

Hyundaigirl

Happy New Year everyone!

Question - I've looked and can't find the answer to this. Is it possible to book any specialty restaurant reservations prior to boarding ? I recall on our Holland America cruise you had the option to do so on the same site where you booked shore excursions.

Happy New Year everyone!

Question - I've looked and can't find the answer to this. Is it possible to book any specialty restaurant reservations prior to boarding ? I recall on our Holland America cruise you had the option to do so on the same site where you booked shore excursions.

Azamara does not give you this option but do not worry once on board you will have no problems getting a table when you want, never had a problem at all

My sense is that the specialty dining rooms offer reservations in the 6 to 6:30 range and then in the 8 to 9 range in order to be able to use each table twice in an evening, thereby making best use of the available space. Dinners there are not rushed, so if a reservation were taken for, say, 7:15 to 7:45, that table could not be turned over that evening.

My sense is that the specialty dining rooms offer reservations in the 6 to 6:30 range and then in the 8 to 9 range in order to be able to use each table twice in an evening, thereby making best use of the available space. Dinners there are not rushed, so if a reservation were taken for, say, 7:15 to 7:45, that table could not be turned over that evening.

:eek: That's like traditional seatings in the MDR!

After a full day of sightseeing, I might not be ready for dinner until 7:15.

Does that mean I'll not be able to make a reservation for dinner at one of the specialty restaurants?

That's not a happy thought.:(

I've not had an issue dining in either Prime C or Aqualina, but booking early guarantees no disappointment. If it were me and I was intent on visiting the Specialties I'd go and see the Maître d's in those restaurants early on in the cruise just to introduce myself and get a feel of what they can do. I ate once in the Speciality restaurants on my last 14 night cruise. The MDR food was so good I didn't feel the need to go to them, even though we were in a suite and it was paid for.

I will throw something else out there. It's not really answering the original question, but Kellie Poodle had me thinking about it. After a day of touring and if they are doing it you can do a lot worse than going to one of the theme nights in the buffet. It's a good way to have a "down" day from all of the food and I've found them to be excellent.

Phil

Does that mean I'll not be able to make a reservation for dinner at one of the specialty restaurants?

Go to a specialty restaurant on a sea day, or embarkation day, or on a day when the ship leaves port before dinnertime. And just go to the main dining room on days when you're planning to get back to the ship later in the day. This is not an unsolvable problem.

:eek: That's like traditional seatings in the MDR!

After a full day of sightseeing, I might not be ready for dinner until 7:15.

That's not a happy thought.:(

You will not have any issues dining where you want, when you want...you may have to be flexible on your times, but it will all work out.

Relax and you will be surprised how laid back and easy the Azamara experience is. Tell everyone we said Hi!...and please make sure to go see Max when he is playing the piano in Luxe and send him our best.:)

You will not have any issues dining where you want, when you want...you may have to be flexible on your times, but it will all work out.

Relax and you will be surprised how laid back and easy the Azamara experience is. Tell everyone we said Hi!...and please make sure to go see Max when he is playing the piano in Luxe and send him our best.:)

Thanks. One of the things I'm looking forward is the piano in Luxe. I heard Max was great.

Shall I tell him the folks from Austin send their best?

Go to a specialty restaurant on a sea day, or embarkation day, or on a day when the ship leaves port before dinnertime. And just go to the main dining room on days when you're planning to get back to the ship later in the day. This is not an unsolvable problem.

I can do that and most certainly will consider it as we plan to attend at least one of the specialty restaurants on our 14 day cruise, but we only have 4 sea days and on the two days we leave port early, we'll have been up at the crack of dawn on excursions.

Do they announce what the theme is going to be in the buffet?

I can do that and most certainly will consider it as we plan to attend at least one of the specialty restaurants on our 14 day cruise, but we only have 4 sea days and on the two days we leave port early, we'll have been up at the crack of dawn on excursions.

Do they announce what the theme is going to be in the buffet?

There should be a list of events in your stateroom, if not at the time of boarding then shortly thereafter. As I recall, it includes the nightly themes in the buffet. You can also see main dining room menus for every night on the in-room television at the start of the cruise.

There should be a list of events in your stateroom, if not at the time of boarding then shortly thereafter. As I recall, it includes the nightly themes in the buffet. You can also see main dining room menus for every night on the in-room television at the start of the cruise.

That's a great option to see the menus on the tv - we want to eat out on some nights when we are later in port too so that will help! :)

Thanks. One of the things I'm looking forward is the piano in Luxe. I heard Max was great.

Shall I tell him the folks from Austin send their best?

Please do!:D

That's great! We can plan our dining venues around the menus.

Aside from the specialty restaurants my husband and I are looking forward to the flexibility in the MDR - if we get back to the ship after a day of touring and are ravenous then we can opt to eat early and not wait until a later set seating time. Or later if we want to just chill and linger over a pre-dinner cocktail!

Aside from the specialty restaurants my husband and I are looking forward to the flexibility in the MDR - if we get back to the ship after a day of touring and are ravenous then we can opt to eat early and not wait until a later set seating time. Or later if we want to just chill and linger over a pre-dinner cocktail!

Yup! This is why we do the open seating options on the ships with traditional seating times.

It sure beats getting stuck for two weeks with boring or ill behaved table mates.:D