Vancouver departure and currency

I'm guessing that we will need Canadian currency while in Vancouver. Do taxis take credit cards or do I need cash to pay for a taxi? I'm also assuming I need Canadian currency to tip porters at Canada Place.

Any other places I definately need Canadian currency? Can you add gratuity to a credit card at most restaurants in Vancouver? Are you expected to tip the driver of a HOHO bus?

Should I get cash converted in the states or just get Cash in Canada? If I wait until I get there where should I go? We are flying into Seattle and driving to Vancouver if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I'm guessing that we will need Canadian currency while in Vancouver. Do taxis take credit cards or do I need cash to pay for a taxi? I'm also assuming I need Canadian currency to tip porters at Canada Place.

Any other places I definately need Canadian currency? Can you add gratuity to a credit card at most restaurants in Vancouver? Are you expected to tip the driver of a HOHO bus?

Should I get cash converted in the states or just get Cash in Canada? If I wait until I get there where should I go? We are flying into Seattle and driving to Vancouver if that makes a difference.

ATMs will give you the best exchange rate (even though its almost 1:1, almost). However ATM fees charged by the ATM owner and your bank may make it pricey, so check with your bank about their fees.

Unless you have a "zerO foreign transaction fee" credit card, using a credit card may cost you an extra 3% per use, so check your credit card issuer.

There's been a huge debate here about acceptability of using USD in Canada, especially in a international border city like Vancouver. IMO be courteous to our friends in the north and use only Canadian money in Canada.

Best to use Canadian currency and get it from a bank to get the best exchange rate. Many vendors will accept US dollars but you will get hosed on the exchange rate compared to the bank. Your dollar is currently worth about $1.08 Canadian and I would expect merchants to be taking it at par. Yes the major taxi companies that serve the airport accept credit cards and I have used one often. Again check with your financial institution to see what fees they may charge for foreign transactions. Enjoy Vancouver as it is one of Canada's most beautiful cities.

As a former Vancouverite, I grew up seeing visitors from the U.S. (where I now live) bringing U.S. currency with them and expecting to be able to pass it wherever they went in Canada. As a courtesy to these visitors, the merchants of Vancouver usually accepted U.S. dollars, and later went to the bank to get them converted to Canadian currency.

On the other hand, merchants below the border in Blaine, Bellingham and Seattle would also accept Canadian currency as a goodwill gesture. It worked and typifies the goodwill and cooperation that exists between our two countries.

However, I would not expect to travel to Europe, Asia or other parts of the world and expect them to accept U.S. currency. I wish more Americans would realize that in travelling to a foreign country, they need to observe common courtesy and carry currency with them that would be easily used wherever they go. As someone here once remarked, "would a New York cab driver accept Danish Kroners for a ride?"

Once I read a question in CC that sticks in my mind - "Where do I go to get some Canadian Euros?" :D

Transit in Vancouver is about the only place you will "NEED" Canadian cash.

That being said it is true that you will get Canadian change back from any transaction. It's the cost of doing business with foreign money.

JUst about everyone will take you credit card and would be my choice if my card company had a decent exchange rate built in.

You don't NEED Canadian currency for transit, the ticket machines at Skytrain stations also take debit and credit cards in addition to cash.

Easy ways to get a small amount of C$:

Buy a coffee somewhere with US$, your change will be in C$

Use a bank machine and withdraw C$20

bring US coin. It's used interchangeably here.

Only other thing to note, Canada no longer has $1 and $2 bills, we've had $1 and $2 coins for a long time, so the smallest paper (and it's not paper anymore either, the new ones are all mylar) notes are fives.

Thanks. I'll verify church exchange with my credit card company and the bank. I dint want to end up with a Tom of extra currency, but I want to make sure I have enough Canadian dollars to tip the porters when we get back.

I noted that you said you were driving north from Seattle - if this is correct there is a money exchange office immediately after you pass thru the Canadian customs it is in the same building as the BC Tourist Office and has very good exchange rates. I would suggest you stop there and exchange a small amount of money...

However having said that most everywhere will take credit cards

Enjoy our fair city

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say "thanks" for all of the advice! DH and I will be staying 2 nights in Vancouver post-cruise in July, and will be looking into getting some Canadian cash to use during our stay in your beautiful city!:D:cool: