Soy or almond milk

Relaxinginthesun

Does anyone know if soy or almond milk is available on board?

I pre- order Soya milk, as I have a lactose sensitivity.

Up until our last cruise, I asked for it when I ordered my porridge ( oatmeal) in the MDR for breakfast. It was brought to me in a glass.

On our last cruise, we tended to go to the Ocean View cafe for breakfast. Again, I had to ask for it and I had to supply a beaker to have it poured into.

I have never asked for almond milk.

Edited by upwarduk

Can they make drinks in the bars or speciality cafés with soy milk? For example, a Kaluha (? Spelling) and soy milk instead of cream? Can you get a soy latte from the cafe that sells cappuccinos (Cafe Baccio I think, sorry I forgot the name)? We are leaving on the Equinox next week and I am a vegan. Thanks!

Be well,

Jen

Can they make drinks in the bars or speciality cafés with soy milk? For example, a Kaluha (? Spelling) and soy milk instead of cream? Can you get a soy latte from the cafe that sells cappuccinos (Cafe Baccio I think, sorry I forgot the name)? We are leaving on the Equinox next week and I am a vegan. Thanks!

Be well,

Jen

You might need to get a glass of soy milk from either room service or the dining room but, as long as you can provide it, of course they will !

I noticed on the recent Aqua Spa menu that the Preisman's posted it lists smoothies made with vanilla soy and almond milk.

http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm#aqua

JenKnits, I am on the same sailing as you are. Really hoping they have almond milk available in Blu and at Cafe El Bacio too. My last cruise was on Millie (this class of ship did not have almond milk at the time, not sure about today) and I brought my own almond milk on board.

Tobyknits,

Wow, it looks like we have a lot in common!!! I think I remember your name from the Maniacs Roll Call ( the -knits stands out!). Are you vegan? We are not in AQ, but I have been told the MDR has at least one nightly vegan selection. I haven't been on Celebrity before so I'm not sure how everything works. From what I understand -- and I may be wrong, so PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG -- Blu is only available to those passengers who are booked in AQ cabins? Is the AquaSpa Cafe open to all passengers? I have other silly questions too, like are the veggie burgers served in the Mast Grille vegan (not all veggie burgers are vegan)? And can the other speciality dining venues accommodate vegan dining requests? I think Silk Harvest looks like it may be vegan friendly. I am bringing a supply of protein bars and nuts. Here I am going on with my vegan stuff and questions, and you may just be lactose intolerant, or prefer the taste of almond/ soy milk! Sorry!

More importantly, what knitting are you bringing with you on the cruise?

Be well,

Jen

Jen

I'm not Toby and I'm not on your cruise but my husband is a vegan and we've sailed Celebrity before.

We DO sail in Aqua because in addition to being vegan he also doesn't eat nuts or oils so we're more comfortable making these special requests in a smaller dining room. And yes, Blu is only open to those sailing in Aqua class.

We've tried the Specialty restaurants and personally feel we're better off sticking to the dining room, waiter and Maitre D' who are already familiar with our habits.

The Aqua Spa Cafe is open to everyone on the ship. It has some nice choices for those that like to eat a little lighter for breakfast and lunch.

Hope this helps

JenKnits,

No, I cannot claim to be vegan. I eat a lot of vegan food because I am intolerant to both dairy and eggs.

If the MDR has a nightly vegan selection it is not printed on the regular menu from what I have seen. There is always a vegetarian selection there, but in my limited experience on Celebrity the vegetarian item is very commonly loaded with cheese. However, I don't think you will have a problem is you speak to the maitre d', it seems from other threads here (and Karen's reply) they do a decent job accommodating vegans.

On Millie a year or so ago I found that very few of the serving staff knew whether things were dairy free. I got a lot of blank looks when I would ask. For that reason, I think the maitre d' is your best resource.

(Ha! I have not yet decided what to bring for a knitting project. Probably socks and colorwork mitts. My Ravelry username is TobyKnits as well.)

I noticed on the recent Aqua Spa menu that the Preisman's posted it lists smoothies made with vanilla soy and almond milk.

http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm#aqua

JenKnits, I am on the same sailing as you are. Really hoping they have almond milk available in Blu and at Cafe El Bacio too. My last cruise was on Millie (this class of ship did not have almond milk at the time, not sure about today) and I brought my own almond milk on board.

I had smoothies made almost daily with almond milk when I was onboard the Summit a few weeks ago in Blu. I did have to preorder them the night before. The citrus one was terrible with almond milk; however, my boyfriend enjoyed the regular milk one he had. The mango madness was my favorite. It was excellent! Once when I didn't preorder the previous night, as I didn't know I'd need to, they apologized and stated they could not make one with almond milk without knowing in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Be well,

Jen

Definitely. At least on Reflection at Café al Bacio we could request soy milk instead of milk in the coffees or hot chocolate.

Karen, Tobyknits, & OMK&Belladonna,

Thanks so much for the info, insights, & feedback! Karen, sorry you won't be on our cruise with us! I will have a supply of nuts & protein bars with me. I will work with the Maître D too. I'm not too worried.

Be well,

Jen

I am definitely bringing socks, but not sure what else... I have oven mitts I want to make (I know, oven mitts, exciting right?), but I don't think it's a good project for a cruise. I may just stick with socks. I have a Ravelry account, but I'm not an "active" user. I just search for patterns, etc.

On Equinox I know sow is available at Café latitudes for any coffee type drinks---also if you are truly vegan its best when dining to sit at the same table nightly (if you have anytime dining) that way the waiter and his assistant know your preferences and will have the vegetarian menu for you nightly--and also be aware you prefer no cheese or dairy----my wife is vegan --we just got of 26 days on Equinox and she had no major issues--the buffet has good choices as well

Paul

Thanks Paul! We actually just decided to changed to a traditional dining time for that reason! I am printing out a list of vegan wines to compare with the wine list, in case the sommelier is not familiar with which wines are vegan.

Can I ask about your wife's experiences on the Equinox, please? Did she stick to the MDR, or eat anywhere else on board? I know the Mast Grille has veggie burgers, for example, but I don't know if they are vegan. We are not AQ passengers, so we can't eat in Blu. I imagine the buffet will have some vegan options. The menus of the speciality restaurants didn't look vegan friendly, except Silk Harvest; but we have a plethora of amazing Asian restaurants in NYC where we live, so that doesn't appeal to us so much.

I appreciate your time and feedback! Thanks again!

Be well,

Jen

Hey Jen

my wife actually found the buffet to be easier because of the cook to order pasta and stir fry sections---also the large salad bar and she could "load up" on veggies from the buffet they also had a vegan sushi---also a large selection of fruit---you can request soy milk in the buffet

The vegetarian menu does have a lot of cheese on it--but you can ask to have it prepared without---she did find a few things she loved ---she got her vanilla soy latte every day at café bacio---buy the coffee cup for $9 and speciaity coffees are half price in it for your entire cruise---if you have a drink package they are included

she never went hungry but did occasionally compromise to vegetarian for the sake of expediency---i.e after shore excursion vegetarian pizza--lol

Equinox is our favorite ship ---wonderful crew and captain--have fun

Paul