travel documents ?

twinmom38

hi everyone.. we are cruising in August on Miracle, ( my favorite), and my sone and daughter in law are booked also. They are recently married, but her passport is in her maiden name. Travel agent suggested changing the booking name for her to her maiden name to match her passport as opposed to the expense of getting a new passport as she has 8 years left on this one. In your experience, is this okay to do ? I assume Carnival doesnt care if they have matching last names to share a cabin. and also, we are booking air fare independantly.. would I book hers in her married name, or maiden name to match her passport? Or does it matter? FYI.. we are doing a r/t seattle alaska, and may not need the passport for anything other than ID at the airport/and to board ship. thanks, hope i didnt confuse you all..

:confused:

hi everyone.. we are cruising in August on Miracle, ( my favorite), and my sone and daughter in law are booked also. They are recently married, but her passport is in her maiden name. Travel agent suggested changing the booking name for her to her maiden name to match her passport as opposed to the expense of getting a new passport as she has 8 years left on this one. In your experience, is this okay to do ? I assume Carnival doesnt care if they have matching last names to share a cabin. and also, we are booking air fare independantly.. would I book hers in her married name, or maiden name to match her passport? Or does it matter? FYI.. we are doing a r/t seattle alaska, and may not need the passport for anything other than ID at the airport/and to board ship. thanks, hope i didnt confuse you all..

I think if she brings her marriage license to bridge the name change with her passport she should be fine.

ok... i did think to bring it... just having anxiety of getting there and they deny her.. travel agent states that if she DID get new passport, they simply put a notation in the back of it that there was a name change... its not really a "new" passport, and she feels that can be more problematic than just going as "her old self".. thanks !

appreciate your answer.. i did call, but since we have travel agent, they referred me to her... just feel uncomfortable, but i supposes with a passport, drivers license and marriage license, what more could they need?

ok... i did think to bring it... just having anxiety of getting there and they deny her.. travel agent states that if she DID get new passport, they simply put a notation in the back of it that there was a name change... its not really a "new" passport, and she feels that can be more problematic than just going as "her old self".. thanks !

I am sure that she isn't the first married person to use a passport (or birth certificate) issued in the maiden name;).

I just booked through carnival 12/31/13. I was married 7 years ago and they told me to book with whatever name was on my passport. if traveling with passport that is the only id they need so they wont know the difference if your name changed or not. just show passport and not license. I plan to bring everything with me just in case, but carnival said as long as name on passport matched booking name they wouldn't need any other ID. Now I just have to remember to say my maiden name! happy cruising!!!

thats seems to be the best answer.. we changed her booking name to match her passport, and will have her travel wityh just her passport as ID.. but like you, we will bring the other documentation.. just in case.. thanks everyone!

thats seems to be the best answer.. we changed her booking name to match her passport, and will have her travel wityh just her passport as ID.. but like you, we will bring the other documentation.. just in case.. thanks everyone!

A friend cruised with me after her divorce. It was much easier to just fly and cruise in divorced name (wasn't ready to spend the $$$ to change psasport). Although she would have preferred travelling with her renewed maiden name, it was easier with just the passport in the divorced name.

Depending on your plans for Skagway, you may need your passport. If you plan to go to Yukon or any other area in Canada, you will need such. We 'did' Alaska this past September and my favorite excursion was the Rail and hike to Laughton Glacier. Was a Carnival excursion and a bit pricey but well worth the price. Was a fabulous day!

hi everyone.. We are cruising in august on miracle, ( my favorite), and my sone and daughter in law are booked also. They are recently married, but her passport is in her maiden name. Travel agent suggested changing the booking name for her to her maiden name to match her passport as opposed to the expense of getting a new passport as she has 8 years left on this one. In your experience, is this okay to do ? I assume carnival doesnt care if they have matching last names to share a cabin. And also, we are booking air fare independantly.. Would i book hers in her married name, or maiden name to match her passport? Or does it matter? Fyi.. We are doing a r/t seattle alaska, and may not need the passport for anything other than id at the airport/and to board ship. Thanks, hope i didnt confuse you all..

hi-----the passport---must be in the name of the person traveling----so---she better get a new passport----or she will have a problem---getting on the ship- irene and john---58 cruisers on carnival

My passport is in my 'other name' (marriage #1 name). When I travel with my son I use it. When I travel with my (now) husband I don't use the passport, I just use my DL and Birth Certificate, although I carry my passport along just because. The one time I used my passport in the company of my now husband someone mistakenly called him by the last name of my previous husband - that went over like a lead balloon....

So, point of my post is to say yes she can travel under her maiden name with her maiden name passport. As long as her hubby doesn't mind no one else will either :D

hi-----the passport---must be in the name of the person traveling----so---she better get a new passport----or she will have a problem---getting on the ship- irene and john---58 cruisers on carnival

irene and john, thanks for your reply.. i am dotting all my i's and crossing all my t's... why is it that you feel she would need a new passport? travel agent, as well as many others agree, to simply book her passage with the cruiseline in her maiden name, which matches her passport..is there a reason you would be concerned about it? if Carnival has her listed as teresa smith, and her passport says teresa smith, where would hte potential issue lie?

thank you for your reply..

She doesn't need to get a new passport. I travel on cruises all of the time and my passport is in my maiden name. I do take my marriage license, birth certificate and drivers license in case they are needed but I have never once had a problem and I book in my married name.

When have a name change on a passport due to marriage you can only get the name change for free if your passport was issued within a year. I personally do not think it would be worth getting a name change on passport that is only 2 yrs old since OP DIL would have to pay the full price of a passport renewal.

well thank you... thats what travel agent said, just about exactly.. she had gotten the passport when she was traveling abroad while in school, and was married shortly after, so yes, she has many years left.. thanks again.. :)