getting off ship in grand cayman...

Macdooger4

Similar question

Thinking of going to see the sting rays in the afternoon. How hard to go ashore and shop a while - go back and stash loot, change, grab a bite to eat and get off again?

Never mind - we don't get there until 10:00 - Brunch will do! At least we can sleep in that morning.

Edited by Island Crazed

What's the longest it has taken you to get off ship at grand cayman? Will be there in July on carnival paradise. Thanks!! Wondering what to expect.

You should start off with this website

http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php it will let you know how many boats are in port when you are. The wife and I didn't get in line right when the tendering started and only had to wait probably 20 minutes. The tender boats are good size, they can hold anywhere from 120-350 people on each boat and there are probably 7 boats going back and forth. The cruise lines have the tendering down to a science and make it as seamless as possible.

You should start off with this website

http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php it will let you know how many boats are in port when you are. The wife and I didn't get in line right when the tendering started and only had to wait probably 20 minutes. The tender boats are good size, they can hold anywhere from 120-350 people on each boat and there are probably 7 boats going back and forth. The cruise lines have the tendering down to a science and make it as seamless as possible.

Thank you for the link, I will def. check it out!!

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Cayman has a very efficient tender system. I've been there on both the Triumph and Legend and didn't wait long either time.

The fact that the ships anchor close enough to practically swim to the port make it go a lot faster!

Don't plan on the same easy return trip though - the lines for the return tenders are usually long and there isn't much shade/protection from the afternoon storm. Be forewarned!

Thanks for the link. there are three there the day we arrive. But, the first one arrives at 7am abd has a few hundred pax. A carnival ship gets there at 10am and we arrive at 10:30 on the Gandeur. This is about 5,500 pax for the two ships together. From your comments about the size of the tenders we should be OK.

DH and I just want to go to the beach. We visited there 3 years ago and did the island tour. [OK but not special] I think if we wait unitl 11:30 or so we should make it off easily.

The tender boat in Grand Cayman was the worst part of our cruise. The boat held 300, we were one of the first ones on. We waited for 1/2 hour for the boat to fill. It was pretty rocky so I don't think it would normally take that long. My daughter (5) started to complain her stomach hurt, we had a little made dash so she could get sick over the garbage can. Sounds like with calmer waters that this process would be faster though.

We also tendered on a small boat in Belize which went to Rendezvous Caye, that was alot easier but I think the rough water in GC had alot to do with it.

To make matters worse it rained the whole day, so we got in the public bus to go to turtle farm. Only to realize we left wallet (and all cash) on the ship! So we toured for an hour while the bus did it's route and took us back to the port area.

Edited by canadian85

• 1 month later...
The tender boat in Grand Cayman was the worst part of our cruise. The boat held 300, we were one of the first ones on. We waited for 1/2 hour for the boat to fill. It was pretty rocky so I don't think it would normally take that long. My daughter (5) started to complain her stomach hurt, we had a little made dash so she could get sick over the garbage can. Sounds like with calmer waters that this process would be faster though.

We also tendered on a small boat in Belize which went to Rendezvous Caye, that was alot easier but I think the rough water in GC had alot to do with it.

To make matters worse it rained the whole day, so we got in the public bus to go to turtle farm. Only to realize we left wallet (and all cash) on the ship! So we toured for an hour while the bus did it's route and took us back to the port area.

At least you got off! This is my THIRD attempt to get there for one day!!!