What is your opinion of the Aft cabins on the S class ships?

Ugaaucruisers

Just came back from two weeks on the Eclipse. Looked very closely at the aft cabins from the dock and quite frankly, I would not book one, except maybe the corners. There seems to be very little overhead protection from either sun, wind or rain. We are so spoiled by the "M" class aft balconies that we have become very picky on balcony and protection size. This is just my opinion. We had an A1 on the forward indentation which has a slightly larger balcony than the others. There are some trade offs, such as window washing equipment but that did not spoil our enjoyment of our time on the balcony. Hope this helps. Kathryn

We did it once. Loved the view, very relaxing. My one issue, and I can see you have been on S class ships before, is there are only two locations with banks of elevators. It was a good hike from the aft to the closest elevator. We would also find ourselves going to the dance club up front and making that hike back to the aft. We did notice some soot occasionally on our 2 chairs and table, we just wiped it off with a towel, not a big deal.

We did it once. Loved the view, very relaxing. My one issue, and I can see you have been on S class ships before, is there are only two locations with banks of elevators. It was a good hike from the aft to the closest elevator. We would also find ourselves going to the dance club up front and making that hike back to the aft. We did notice some soot occasionally on our 2 chairs and table, we just wiped it off with a towel, not a big deal.

I would agree. It is a long hike to your room. We are in an aft cabin for the second year in a row so they must not be too terrible....:D

We love aft on M class, but we weren't crazy about our aft cabin on Reflection. It was much smaller than what we were used to, and it was a long way back (if you forgot your seapass......again...)from the bars, restaurants, etc. We also found that we loved the lawn and the Sunset bar so much that we spent a lot of time up there in the afternoons relaxing that we would have spent on our balcony on the M-class ships. If the upgrade isn't steep, it might be worth it for you, but we would not book one again on the Solstice ships.

Go Auburn next week!!)

We love aft on M class, but we weren't crazy about our aft cabin on Reflection. It was much smaller than what we were used to, and it was a long way back (if you forgot your seapass......again...)from the bars, restaurants, etc. We also found that we loved the lawn and the Sunset bar so much that we spent a lot of time up there in the afternoons relaxing that we would have spent on our balcony on the M-class ships. If the upgrade isn't steep, it might be worth it for you, but we would not book one again on the Solstice ships.

Go Auburn next week!!)

Thanks and thanks! We are looking forward to the game Monday:)

Thanks. Was it odd having people look down on you from above?? Also, was it too bright or hot to enjoy your balcony on sunny days? We will be in the Western Caribbean.

Hi,

Have stayed in aft/stern cabins on decks 9 and 12 on S Class ships...absolutely loved the overhang on deck 12, and the oft mentioned issue of noise from scraping chairs etc from above was pretty much a non-issue for us. When on deck 9, certainly at times the sun was a bit toasty in comparison. Obviously, no issue with folks looking down when on 12...and never really took notice of anyone above when on deck 9...was more interested in the views outward and the wake and the ocean etc. Can't say I spent much time looking at folks below me either, except when one certain lady was throwing food bits to seagulls onto the balconies below her...and one bird got stuck there and couldn't figure out how to fly up and out...I rushed 2 decks down and found the room steward...and we found the right cabin, and with a bit of help of a blanket, got the bird up and away. (the responsible lady disappeared from her deck in apparent embarrassment after initially laughing her behind off ) ! :mad:

Things we loved: The quietness of the area...little to no foot traffic etc in hallways. Loved the view and sound of the ship wake. Never considered the walk an issue...but then I don't consider walking from anywhere to anywhere on a ship an issue...and believe, I did that walk several hundred times !

Enjoy...whichever you decide.

Woody

Edited by rwr235

Love having an aft balcony other than we were in Aqua class 1676 so yes people often leaned on the railings outside the buffet right over us. We just felt uncomfortable.. too funny though on the cruise prior ( b2b) we looked down to see what would be our veranda and a lady was laying out topless.

We had to wipe soot off everyday before we sat or leaning on our railing.

We did not mind the walk.

I believe the top floor is covered but not even the corner s1's have much overhang.

We like the wake and enjoy being away from the crowds. I like the walk, if I was on crutches I would have a different opinion.

The soot can be heavy or not, I am sure it is not healthy. And your clothes and feet can become blackened.

Still we book there and take our chances.

Was in 1676, only time we saw anyone looking down on us was when we were docking in Sydney. Sun was just coming up, lights on at the Opera House was a beautiful morning. No soot problem. On hot sunny days the balcony was quite hot from 2-4, but beautiful in the mornings and evening.