Mariner society spending credits question

3littlepigs

Just wondering whether you get mariner society credits for shore excursions booked before you sail or whether its just based on the total of your onboard account at the end of the cruise. We have booked a few things for our next cruise because it's likely some trips will be full ( one already is) it made me wonder whether we would have received the extra credit had we waited and booked on board.

Not worried about it, just the accountant in me being overly analytical!:D

Yes, your pre-purchased shore excursions definitely count towards your Mariner cruise day credits.

If there are any HAL excursions I want to do, I book early online to reserve a place, especially if they are popular - I can always cancel online without penalty prior to the cruise if I change my mind.

Yes, your pre-purchased shore excursions definitely count towards your Mariner cruise day credits.

If there are any HAL excursions I want to do, I book early online to reserve a place, especially if they are popular - I can always cancel online without penalty prior to the cruise if I change my mind.

How do u know if a cruise is popular ?

Edited by Thebes

How do u know if a cruise is popular ?

When reading

some of the destination forums you can get an idea if a shore excursion is going to be popular. On the Italy forum most cruisers recommend taking the ship's excursion to Cinque Terre out of Livorno rather than a private excursion because of time restraints and on my Med cruises it has always been booked out before the cruise had begun.

I also did a private excursion to Volunteer Point in the Falklands but the ship's excursion booked out months before the cruise due to a limit in the number of seats available and popularity.

I think a lot depends on the country and transportation logistics. I'm doing a 37 night cruise later this year and although I will do a lot of independent tours, there are a few I will book through HAL - and book soon to ensure I have a seat.

When reading

some of the destination forums you can get an idea if a shore excursion is going to be popular. On the Italy forum most cruisers recommend taking the ship's excursion to Cinque Terre out of Livorno rather than a private excursion because of time restraints and on my Med cruises it has always been booked out before the cruise had begun.

I also did a private excursion to Volunteer Point in the Falklands but the ship's excursion booked out months before the cruise due to a limit in the number of seats available and popularity.

I think a lot depends on the country and transportation logistics. I'm doing a 37 night cruise later this year and although I will do a lot of independent tours, there are a few I will book through HAL - and book soon to ensure I have a seat.

Thanks. I'm sure you knew what I meant. I truly meant cruise excursion. We booked all our cruises for our Caribbean cruise coming up in feb on Edam. It is not so easy to know what is popular and what is not when it comes to cruises in Caribbean. Too many to choose from.

Thanks. I'm sure you knew what I meant. I truly meant cruise excursion. We booked all our cruises for our Caribbean cruise coming up in feb on Edam. It is not so easy to know what is popular and what is not when it comes to cruises in Caribbean. Too many to choose from.

Yes, I knew what you meant. I do a lot of research before I travel and tend to have most of my port plans sorted before I go on board - but that could also be because of the destinations I cruise too. I've been happy with just about all my excursions (and I was cruising long before I found CC) but I'm also a glass half full type of person.

Whatever you have decided, have a wonderful cruise.

Just wondering whether you get mariner society credits for shore excursions booked before you sail or whether its just based on the total of your onboard account at the end of the cruise. We have booked a few things for our next cruise because it's likely some trips will be full ( one already is) it made me wonder whether we would have received the extra credit had we waited and booked on board.

Not worried about it, just the accountant in me being overly analytical!:D

Anything you pre-book through HAL counts towards your Mariner credits.

All shore excursions, all specialty restaurants, all indulgences, etc. that you pre-book count.

But the new "Above and Beyond" promotion offers a 10% discount on shore excursions that are booked in advance on qualified sailings.

Details at http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=Above_and_Beyond

Yes, it does. I got a few "Above and Beyond" Promotional e-mails.

I wonder when people book on line if it is like with star mariners booking alternative restaurants and having to pay full price and then getting a credit to their on board account when aboard?

Has anyone booked an excursion that qualified for that discount and seen the reduction reflected on line when they did the booking?

Thanks for all the great info!

Glad to see it doesn't make any difference. Our next cruise goes to some ports where doing the ships excursions are pretty much the only way to go, one trip we booked some time backed is already fully booked.

With our sailing credits and spending we will easily go up a category with this next cruise.

Yes, it does. I got a few "Above and Beyond" Promotional e-mails.

I wonder when people book on line if it is like with star mariners booking alternative restaurants and having to pay full price and then getting a credit to their on board account when aboard?

Has anyone booked an excursion that qualified for that discount and seen the reduction reflected on line when they did the booking?

Just booked an excursion for Kristiansand for August and the 10% is broken down to 5% each for myself and DH. Comes right off the top when booking.

Just booked an excursion for Kristiansand for August and the 10% is broken down to 5% each for myself and DH. Comes right off the top when booking.

That's great.

Thanks for letting us know.

Wonder why they can't set it up so Star Mariner Discounts come right off the top when pre-booking dinner reservations for Pinnacle etc? They get to use those funds for free for lots of months in some cases. :rolleyes:

I read the fine print after switching my fare from Explore4 to Above and Beyond. It says

Up to 10% savings on select summer shore excursions when booked before February 28, 2014*

So it's not all of them and it's not always 10%. The discount does however show immediately when looking at the cost of the excursions.

Of course the ones I really want either aren't 10% off or don't even have a discount (like the shutterbug in PEI). :)

shorex1_zps454ed56c.jpg

shorex2_zps0c6a0a79.jpg

I read the fine print after switching my fare from Explore4 to Above and Beyond. It says

Up to 10% savings on select summer shore excursions when booked before February 28, 2014*

So it's not all of them and it's not always 10%. The discount does however show immediately when looking at the cost of the excursions.

Of course the ones I really want either aren't 10% off or don't even have a discount (like the shutterbug in PEI). :)

shorex1_zps454ed56c.jpg

shorex2_zps0c6a0a79.jpg

maybe it depends on the length of the cruise, the popularity of where you are going and other factors. However all of my Euopean ie the Baltics excursions are discounted 10%, but again, this is a longer collectors cruise and it is a European cruise. ;)

Edited by chloes nana
mistake on location

Thnaks.

PEI is beautiful.

Hopefully you will love it as much as we do.

Interesting how some of the excursions are 5% and some 10% and some none.

Maybe that is a clue as to which historically have been more or less popular?

Thnaks.

PEI is beautiful.

Hopefully you will love it as much as we do.

Interesting how some of the excursions are 5% and some 10% and some none.

Maybe that is a clue as to which historically have been more or less popular?

My guess is it also depends on what they're actually getting as their cut from the tour operator. The photography one is probably an independent since it's led by an actual photography expert and so they don't get as big of a break on price. The larger the tour (ie more people packed on to one bus) the cheaper the actual breakdown per person gets, it's like buying in bulk at Sam's Club. :)

My husband and I will pick the smaller more expensive tours whenever possible, we don't like being packed onto a bus with lots of other people and prefer smaller more personal tours.

Edited by sherilyn70