Norway - inside cabin or balcony

Thinking of going to Norway in May on RCI Adventure of the Seas. (Kristiansand/Alesund/Flam/Stavanger). Couple of questions

1) Inside cabin or outside balcony.

2) What is best deck to minimise chances of sea-sickness

3) What is weather likely to be like

Thanks

Londoner99

Edited by londoner99

1) personal choice

we have done it in an inside but in June & an outside in Aug

2) lower deck ..mid ships

3)cold, cool or warm Maybe wet

Take hat, mitts/gloves good waterproof walking shoes & layers a waterproof jacket is a good thing to pack ;)

enjoy

1) If you can afford a balcony, it's nice for the scenery during the sail-ins. However, be sure to go up on the top decks at some point for the panoramic view on the way to/from Flåm. (Personally, I can't afford multiple balcony sailings in a year, so I'd rather save money on the inside cabin and cruise more. But that's completely individual preference.)

2) Agree, lower decks, mid-ship. Think about how the ship moves when it's in the water. The bottom middle is kind of the axis of rotation, so it would have the least motion. Like being on the middle of a merry-go-round versus the outside edges.

3) Upredictable. I have been in short-sleeves in May, and I have seen snow in May. Your best bet is to pack layers that can be adjusted for different temperatures. Absolutely pack a good waterproof/windproof shell jacket, because rain is very common on the west coast. Then you can take something like a warm fleece to layer underneath if it's particularly cold. Also, a hat and gloves don't take up much space and are very nice to have if it's breezy out on deck during the scenic cruising. They can do more to keep you warm than a thicker jacket.

1. Inside vs Balcony? The scenery in Norway is spectacular and we loved sitting on our balcony and watching it go by...at all hours! One of my fondest memories is sitting on our balcony in the "twilight" after midnigtht:D. However, I think that any cabin would be fun. You can always go on the public decks and get amazing views.

2. Best for motion sensitive people? As others have said, lower and center.

3. Weather? It's variable, but you'll probably see rain, so plan for it. We wore a lot of layers and that served us well. My most appreciated item of clothing was a Goretex knee length coat, which kept me dry. Waterproof shoes would have been great.

Have a fabulous trip!

Edited by cruis247g

1. Inside cabins have no windows, outside cabins have a window, balcony cabins obviously have a balcony. The advantages of inside cabins are price and darkness - as you go further north, the nights get very short or else there is no night at all.

2. Seasickness isn't a major problem while you're in Norway. The fjords don't have waves.

3. Weather is much like England's, probably on average a degree or two cooler. The chances are you'll get some rain, but the chances are you won't get too much.

I would think sailing the fjords would be similar to going through the Panama Canal - there's probably something to see on both sides of the ship. So if you stay on a balcony you may well miss something on the other side. We usually book an inside - that way we can go on more excursions. :D Then we move around in the public areas of the ship to see the scenery.

Balcony - hands down.

Of course, the inside is cheaper, so if you need to do it for financial reasons, you can still see plenty. BUT if you can do it, you will love having a balcony in Norway. The scenery is so fantastic and while going down a fjord, there is nothing better than sitting on your own balcony with a nice glass of wine. And you can do it in your pajamas! (Then you might be enjoying a cup of coffee but whatever floats your boat!.....) Lots of times there were early morning sails toward a port that were just wonderful and it was nice not to have to dress and go up to the deck to enjoy the scenery.

I would think sailing the fjords would be similar to going through the Panama Canal - there's probably something to see on both sides of the ship. So if you stay on a balcony you may well miss something on the other side. We usually book an inside - that way we can go on more excursions. :D Then we move around in the public areas of the ship to see the scenery.

If you have portside views on the way into the fjord, then you will see the other side of the fjord on the way out! :D

Thinking of going to Norway in May on RCI Adventure of the Seas. (Kristiansand/Alesund/Flam/Stavanger). Couple of questions

1) Inside cabin or outside balcony. Balcony every time for all the reasons stated above.

2) What is best deck to minimise chances of sea-sickness Low midships, but balcony cabins are on the higher decks

3) What is weather likely to be like We went at the end of May and had warm sunshine all the way up to the Northern Cape BUT we were very lucky so best to pack layers.

Thanks

Londoner99

Enjoy your cruise, the Norwegian fjords are stunningly beautiful! :D

If you have portside views on the way into the fjord, then you will see the other side of the fjord on the way out! :D

How true. But the sun doesn't work the same way - if you're in the shade on your way in, you'll be in the shade on the way out! :eek:

1) Inside cabin or outside balcony.

2) What is best deck to minimise chances of sea-sickness

3) What is weather likely to be like

Thanks

Londoner99

We booked inside so we could afford 2 weeksb2b Norway and Scandi/Russia

Booked 7th deck mid so we could get to outside decks quickly for views.

Falls should be running because of spring melting but also should still be snow on Mtns.Dress in layers.

Going in May will be less crowded...another plus.