Favorite MDR entrees?

jasbo49

The lobster tails on the Infiniti in September 2013 were good size and sweet - the best we have had on a cruise in a while. The ship departed from Harwich, UK. Also like the veal chop. The beef - prime rib and steak in the MDR - are tender and tasty.

I don't think there are many must haves based on my 11 night Equinox cruise. Onion soup is excellent (similar to Mimi's if you know that restaurant), crab cake, pork chop, prime rib, daily menu chicken, beef tournedo, turkey dinner (you must order mashed if you want them). Creme Brule, daily chocolate cake (add vanilla ice cream), chocolate lava cake (not as good as Carnival but good).

Worst dish- black salmon. Thankfully I switched with my Mom and ate her beef dish.

The only lobster we had was on the second formal night and it was the seafood medley mentioned above. I really liked it but it was the smallest bit of lobster I have seen on a cruise ship!

Some items are large and some small so you may want to ask.

Greetings everyone. My wife and I have booked a semi-last-minute 35th anniversary cruise on the Constellation Jan. 20 out of Fort Lauderdale. Since we've never been on Celebrity before, I'm wondering whether there are particular meals in the main dining room people would recommend.

And I guess it could be broader than just entrees, if people have appetizers and/or desserts not to be missed. I know on Carnival, everyone raves about the Chocolate Melting Cake, and I had some favored entrees (Jamaican Jerked Chicken). My wife swooned for the Pumpkin Soup. So what's a knockout on the Celebrity MDR menu? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Edited by Jen1000

Barolo braised short ribs and short rib lasagna!!!

My favorite too. My mouth started to water just thinking about it:D. For dessert, the crème brule hands down (don't really care for most of their other MDR dessert offerings, although my son loves the cheesecake)

Worst dish- black salmon. Thankfully I switched with my Mom and ate her beef dish.

Agreed, there is something wrong with that black salmon. Or maybe just because I expected too much "salmon". Hmm.

But yes, the escargot and the beef carpaccio are my favorites for appetizers. I always end up ordering multiples of them, even though I know I should save some stomach room to try new things.

As for the entrees, I have always found all the lamb dishes to be cooked perfectly. Just as good as any high end steakhouse on land. The beef entrees can be great one night, and a miss the next. I was also very pleasantly surprised by that pork chop the first night. I'm a small person but I ate that whole thing, it was so good. From what I remember, the duck is also phenomenal. I say this as someone who grew up eating duck regularly.

Oh, and I LOVE the sorbet that they give you between courses on formal nights.

And as for desserts, Celebrity really makes the best creme brulee I have ever had. It's what I commonly get for my dessert when we go out to eat, and Celebrity still makes the best one. Maybe it's the type of vanilla or cream that they use or something.

I LOVE creme brulee--but I prefer a custard-style brulee as opposed to the thicker pudding-style brulee. (a tough one to find, to be sure)

Could you enlighten me as to which style Celebrity serves?

THANKS!

Edited by KKB

Every night we order the crab stuffed mushroom appetizer. Onion soup also is a daily order. Love their prime rib. Osso Bucco is very good also. I have had very few disappointing meals.

We always order from the MDR menu on formal night and eat on our balcony. It is such a treat, and don't forget to also order the basket of bread with the wonderful bread sticks.

We also love having lunch at the Spa Cafe (it's free)- food is clean and fresh and so very tasty. It's located by the thalasotherapy pool - oh, the breads at the Spa Cafe are also wonderful.

I LOVE creme brulee--but I prefer a custard-style brulee as opposed to the thicker pudding-style brulee. (a tough one to find, to be sure)

Could you enlighten me as to which style Celebrity serves?

THANKS!

I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two, but the Celebrity creme brulee is pretty thick. As in, you cut through and it doesn't jiggle. Similar to a posset. Does that help?

I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two, but the Celebrity creme brulee is pretty thick. As in, you cut through and it doesn't jiggle. Similar to a posset. Does that help?

I find its luck of the draw. Some nights mine were runny, other nights stiff as you describe. IMO a proper Creme Brulee is somewhere in the middle.

I understand they substituted the escargot with the crab stuffed mushrooms. We had it every night, it was on the Eclipse last January. We are again sailing in several weeks on the Eclipse - sure hope it is still on their MDR menu!!! Even though we are now going to be eating in Blu, we plan on asking for it to be brought to us daily - we really liked it.

I believe the crab stuffed mushrooms were a temporary substitution when they couldn't provide escargot. There were no crab stuffed mushrooms on the menu on our recent Connie sailing (but oh did we gorge on the escargot! :p)

The creme brulee is in my opinion a true custard consistency rather than a pudding one (as opposed to the coffee pot de creme which was more of a pudding). It is similar to what you would get in a nice French restaurant and is delicious. There was one night where they served a "dulce de leche crema catalana" which turned out to basically be a caramel flavored creme brulee, and was definitely enjoyed by all.

I really shouldn't share this info because it will now be even harder to obtain -- but my favorite dessert is the coconut cake at the Cafe al Bacio/Cova Cafe. Heavenly!! I know the thread subject is "Favorite MDR entrees," but since life is short we really need to consider eating dessert first!

I know that there is a $5 charge for the Café but are all desserts/pastries free if you don't want a sit down meal?

I know that there is a $5 charge for the Café but are all desserts/pastries free if you don't want a sit down meal?

There is a $5 cover charge for Bistro on 5 but none for Cafe al Bacio. All the sweets in the display are free for the asking! They used to have free snack sandwiches and finger foods in the afternoons but seem to have switched over to all (free) sweets all the time.

You are confusing 2 venues. The Bistro on 5 serves crepes, salads, etc. and has the $5 charge.

Café al Bacio (sp?) has coffees/teas for sale but the pastries are free.