Best beach for a beach day in Maui

runninggalintexas

There is a huge thread just down the board about Kaanapali Beach, which is excellent.

But the key question is where are you coming ashore? Kahalui or Lahaina? Kaanapali is best for Lahaina, Wailea is good for Kahalui.

Edited by CruiserBruce

According to my cruise documents it looks like we will be docking in Kahului.

Unfortunately there are not any good beaches close to the Kahului port. About a mile away near the airport is a wind/kite surfing area which is generally very windy. Public transportation is very limited & without a rental car it's not easy to get to a beach like you desire.

As said Kaanapali Beach is good but has no shady areas. There are several good beaches in the Wailea area such as Ulua/Mokapuu that front resort hotels with some shade. There are less developed beaches between Wailea & Makena that have trees for shade. All beaches are best before noon when the tradewinds kick up.

According to my cruise documents it looks like we will be docking in Kahului.

Will you have a rental car? If so, you could explore several beaches that are close together - a fun way to spend the day! I would choose South Maui as it's closer to Kahului - but you could also choose West Maui and explore/shop in Lahaina for an hour or two.

Here's a link to a list of beaches. If you click on the name of the beach, a photo and brief description will pop up.