New York to Southampton

Jeffrey1950

Happy New Year everyone !!

I am considering making a Transatlantic Crossing in Sept.

I have the following questions................ I am wondering if someone can give me an idea as to what kind of weather one can expect that time of the year. Will it be too cool to sit out on deck ? Is it worth having a balcony cabin at this time of the year ? I am also considering getting a cabin mate, can someone advise for or against this idea? Once in Southampton I will fly back to America. If after I get through Customs and whatever is it worth going straight to Heathrow and have a long wait at the Airport or is it better to stay overnight and get the flight home next day ?

Would really appreciate any advice. Thank you !!

Happy New Year everyone !!

I am considering making a Transatlantic Crossing in Sept.

I have the following questions................ I am wondering if someone can give me an idea as to what kind of weather one can expect that time of the year. Will it be too cool to sit out on deck ? Is it worth having a balcony cabin at this time of the year ? I am also considering getting a cabin mate, can someone advise for or against this idea? Once in Southampton I will fly back to America. If after I get through Customs and whatever is it worth going straight to Heathrow and have a long wait at the Airport or is it better to stay overnight and get the flight home next day ?

Would really appreciate any advice. Thank you !!

First of all, weather in the North Atlantic at any time of the year is extremely variable. You could have everything and anything from flat calm to heavy seas, warm sun to snow. Not trying to be snarky here but it is the truth.:D Plan on some rain, cool, always some amount of wind over the decks, and as has been mentioned here before, layering of clothing. Only you can decide if the balcony is worth it. We usually just book oceanview for TAs and if upgraded, then good. Personally, we would hire a car to take us to London for a night or two before flying back. But then, London is one of our favo(u)rite cities.:D Enjoy the crossing no matter the weather.:eek::D

We personally like the sheltered balconies for crossings. We have crossed mostly in April/May and have made good use of them with very few exceptions. They are sheltered enough to block the wind but cool enough to want at least a light jacket. We had a deck 8 balcony for one crossing, which I thought was going to be unusable, and got lucky with sunny days for the entire trip.

If you do decide on a balcony......make sure to book the sunny side. :)

You may also want to consider reversing the order of your trip so that you fly to London and then take the QM2 back to New York. If we have to fly one way, we prefer to get the jet lag out of the way at the beginning rather than at the end of our trip. Because of the time zone changes, a Westbound crossings gives you several 25 hour days on board so you can sleep an extra hour if you wish and have no jet lag once you return to New York.

You may also want to consider reversing the order of your trip so that you fly to London and then take the QM2 back to New York. If we have to fly one way, we prefer to get the jet lag out of the way at the beginning rather than at the end of our trip. Because of the time zone changes, a Westbound crossings gives you several 25 hour days on board so you can sleep an extra hour if you wish and have no jet lag once you return to New York.

Agree with Southampton to New York. Fly to Heathrow, make your way to Southampton, spend a day or two there, not very expensive, and enjoy the extended days to NY. Would book a balcony stateroom, one reason being that you get the fresh air without having to venture too far and also, but a minimal concern, is that if there is an illness on board which could mean being restricted to your stateroom you can still venture to your balcony, therefore avoiding "cabin fever", a malady of those kept indoors for too long.

Please be aware that you can also book a "guaranteed balcony" which increases your chances of an upgraded room.

Agree with Southampton to New York. Fly to Heathrow, make your way to Southampton, spend a day or two there, not very expensive, and enjoy the extended days to NY. Would book a balcony stateroom, one reason being that you get the fresh air without having to venture too far and also, but a minimal concern, is that if there is an illness on board which could mean being restricted to your stateroom you can still venture to your balcony, therefore avoiding "cabin fever", a malady of those kept indoors for too long.

Please be aware that you can also book a "guaranteed balcony" which increases your chances of an upgraded room.

have to agree with the "cabin fever" aspect. Never gave it much thought till we had a balcony. Now we miss them if we don't have one. But, and it has been said by many, a crossing is "nothing to do and no time to do it all.":D

A crossing on the Queen Mary in either direction is a delight. There are pros and cons traveling both east and west. Whatever your choice, you can't go wrong.

I do like the views and being on top deck, sailing away from Brooklyn. It can be a little more difficult to predict the time when the ship will go under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge when sailing west.

We crossed in September 2012 and it was warm and calm (as bathwater) the entire way. Sunny and pleasant on deck. People wearing shorts. From the captain's comments during his noon report, it seems such consistently perfect weather was unusual.

There are websites which will forecast weather (and wave height) on the ocean that you can check a week before sailing, so you will know what kind of clothes to pack.

To me a balcony isn't a big deal. There are other places to go outdoors and ocean views from windows throughout the ship. I'm very content and cozy in an inside room.

In regards to a cabinmate - is this someone you know or are you hoping to arrange a sight-unseen roomie?

It would be a matter of sight-unseen as a roomie. Many, many years ago Cunard just put you in a room sharing with someone if you wanted to share but they stopped that for different reasons. Now, if you want to share it is up to you to find someone.

Thank you everyone for your responses !!