Hotel and Transport Advice-New York Cruise

Blingon

We are booked for a cruise on March 23, the Breakaway. We will be flying in on Friday, so we can see the sight on Friday and Saturday in New York. We will be flying into Newark. Can you recommend a hotel that we could get from the airport with a fairly reasonable price and with reasonable transportation into New York and then to the pier on Sunday. We may be staying with another couple to save money. Would like to stay under $200/night for just the 2 people or $300/night for 4 people. Appreciate any advice you might have. :)

Look at aa.com. The Doubletree at the airport is $107 + tax and the Ramada Plaza is $76 + tax. The four of you can take a cab to Newark Penn Station for $25-30 and the train to midtown NYC for $5/pp each way. This will be faster and less expensive than four people riding the free shuttle back to the Airtrain at the P4 station and paying $25/pp rt to go into NY on the same train.

If the four of you want to share a room, you can book the Newark Penn Station Hilton for$250+ tax and be right across the street from the train station.

There are other hotel choices in the $130 to 150 range which would also be appropriate.

We are booked for a cruise on March 23, the Breakaway. We will be flying in on Friday, so we can see the sight on Friday and Saturday in New York. We will be flying into Newark. Can you recommend a hotel that we could get from the airport with a fairly reasonable price and with reasonable transportation into New York and then to the pier on Sunday. We may be staying with another couple to save money. Would like to stay under $200/night for just the 2 people or $300/night for 4 people. Appreciate any advice you might have. :)
I'm looking at options right now for a Breakaway cruise later this month. I'm taking the Newark Airport Express from Newark to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Then will take a taxi or walk the mile to 57th and Amsterdam where I found a Holiday Inn Express for $121 a night. It's then a 12 to 15 minute walk to the cruise terminal from there the next day. I've never done any of this and only been to NYC twice for a few hours each time but I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm looking at options right now for a Breakaway cruise later this month. I'm taking the Newark Airport Express from Newark to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Then will take a taxi or walk the mile to 57th and Amsterdam where I found a Holiday Inn Express for $121 a night. It's then a 12 to 15 minute walk to the cruise terminal from there the next day. I've never done any of this and only been to NYC twice for a few hours each time but I'm crossing my fingers.

In case you need to tell a taxi driver where you have to go, FYI...the hotel on W. 57th St. is a Holiday Inn, not a HIX. It's located between 9th and 10th Ave. 10th Ave. doesn't become Amsterdam Ave until a couple of blocks further north...at 59th St.

As far as walking to to cruise terminal is concerned, the walk will probably be a little bit further than you're estimating. Your ship will be berthed at Pier 88 ,and the pedestrian entrance to the pier is at 48th St. and 12th Ave (the motor vehicle entrance is closer to your hotel at 55th At. and 12th Ave).

I'd suggest walking south on 10th Ave until you reach 48th St. and then turn right onto 48th and take that street to the pier.

Edited by njhorseman