14 Dec Society Islands Review Part 3 Huahine

6rugrats

Meant to add this in my first post. Here is the nationality breakdown of passengers for this cruise:

Australia 8

Belgium 10

China 3

Canada 9

France 24

Germany 2

Ireland 1

Japan 13

Philippines 6

USA 170

You can see this was not a full sailing.

There were at least two honeymooning couples, several families with older teenage children, one with a young child, about six years old, lots of older and middle aged couples. I did not notice any other single female traveling with her children.

We woke up early for our first day on board. Opened up the drapes and saw we were in for another gorgeous day in paradise. Although we were visiting during the rainy season, we had no rain until the afternoon of our last day in Moorea. We showered (lots of hot water always and good water pressure), and got ready to go up to breakfast. There is a hair dryer provided which worked pretty well. If you had very long and thick hair though, I'd advise you to bring your own.

We ate at Le Grill because La Veranda wasn't yet open. I honestly don't remember what we had. I know I had coffee because I had a hard time getting a refill. That was the only time we ate breakfast at one of the restaurants; from the next morning on, we always ordered room service. I did not feel the restaurant service, at least at Le Grill and La Veranda (for lunch) was particularly good overall and I will post more on this later.

For those interested, some activities offered on the ship that day were a Ship's Bridge Tour, a talk from the executive chef to learn about Moonfish, A class to learn how to make a bookmark from pandanus leaves, bridge, shuffleboard, ballroom dance class, Trivia Time with Michael (My son asked me if Michael was "married to that French lady"- Isabel - ha ha!) and so on.

We were scheduled to meet in the Grand Salon at 8:30 for our tour, so we got our stuff and headed up there. There were always bottles of water provided in the Salon for you to take on your tours and we all grabbed one. Took the tender in to shore and met up with our tour, which was run by Island Eco Tours. When the cruise ships are in town, you must book through the ship for this one.

We boarded Le Truck and were off. Paul is one of the seemingly endless Americans who came to Tahiti to do graduate work and never left. And honestly, who could blame them? He was a good guide; you can read reviews about him on Tripadvisor and they are pretty accurate, though I feel a few are a bit over-the-top. I enjoyed learning about the different cultures/plants/history of the islands. I did not enjoy hearing never ending commentary from one particular passenger who had an opinion on everything. Also, what's with the people who constantly interrupt a guide to ask totally unrelated questions? Oh well.

There is some hiking involved with this tour; it isn't strenuous but you may want to bring some insect repellent. At the end of the tour, Paul takes you to a river, which some children had dammed up for swimming, and this river is full of really large eels. And, the children are picking them up and swimming with them. Probably one of those charming customs that most of us don't wish to try. Paul brings a can of mackerel with which to feed them; the eels that is, not the children. When the tour was over, I noticed many people were tipping Paul. I have not been to FP for over 21 years, but the last time I was here, no one would accept a tip. I hate to see that changing and I did not tip. Overall, a good tour and worth the money.

We got back to the ship and had lunch at La Veranda. There's always some sort of theme buffet or you can order off the menu. For some reason (I rarely eat beef at home) we ended up eating hamburgers for lunch everyday and they were surprising good. I did constantly have a problem finding someone to refill my glass. This happened at lunch and at dinner. I felt almost invisible. More on that later.

We just relaxed after lunch, sat on the balcony and every day, I'd have to take my daughter up at 4:00 for Afternoon Tea. She liked the ice cream and the fact she could have some every day, which is not the case at home. Later, we went to the Tahitian Pearls Seminar. We mainly went so we could enter the drawing for a free pearl pendant. No, we did not win, but warning. If you are not in La Boutique when they do the drawing (which I think is on Friday) and they pull your name, they will keep drawing names until they find someone who is actually physically present.

Back to the cabin to dress for dinner and then to the Captain's Welcome party, which was in the Grand Salon. You could enter by the right or left door. If you went in the right door, you were greeted by the Captain, etc. and the photographer. Most people made a beeline for the left door.

The usual drinks were passed and canapés soon made their way around. However, the waiters would totally pass by us and not come to ask if we wanted another drink. This was typical the entire cruise for every venue except for La Veranda at dinner and the Piano Bar (the best bartenders on the ship). Those of you who have not experienced this will not relate, but you are honestly ignored sometimes if you are a single woman. It's just a fact.

Lots of blah, blah, blah, introductions, Isabel translating what the Captain said for the French speaking passengers, and totally mangling any type of fact (doesn't she hear this same talk every week? You'd think she'd have it memorized by now), then we were off to dinner at L'Etoile.

Keep in mind as you read the following that my DH was an absolutely fabulous cook. I learned a lot about good food from him. Now that my cruise is over, if I could change one thing, it would be to eat every dinner at Le Grill (lovely outside when the weather is good) or at La Veranda, and La Veranda was my absolute favorite for dinner. I'm sorry we only ate there our last night.

The food at L'Etoile, IMO, was just o.k. Some nice fish dishes, soups and salads. Desserts overall not worth the calories. But, as my DS said when I was writing this, "Hey, we were in Tahiti, it's all good". And the service just wasn't good. Every night I would tell them a table for three, we'd be seated, handed menus and the wait staff would vanish. Finally, and this happened three times, someone would come over and ask us, because they never cleared the fourth place setting, when the fourth person would be joining us. I was tempted to say, "Not for a long time, he's in a box in my closet", but with the language barrier, I may have been arrested.

For those who haven't been on PG cruise before, here's how the free wine works. There is a selection of free wines from which you may choose, and despite what a review last year said, I didn't have one that wasn't perfectly adequate. Go to any bar and ask what the choices that day are. There's usually one red and white with dinner, but you can ask for another if you don't like what's on offer. But, I rarely could get my glass refilled, so I took it into my own hands. I just started walking down to the Piano Bar and getting a glass there and going back to the table. The kids loved this "game". They are easily amused. The bartender started to know me as the "Pino Grigio". Whatever it takes sometimes!

After dinner, we wanted to stay up and watch the show "Ia Orana Tahiti" but again were just too tired. Back to the cabin, where the kids ordered ice cream from room service; and as always it arrived promptly and with a smile. We decided to order room service for the next morning and both kids wanted chocolate chip pancakes. They weren't on the list, but I wrote it in and asked if they could please make them. Watched a little of a movie, then it was off to bed and Taha'a in the morning.

Edited by 6rugrats

I am sorry to hear about not being able to get refills or table service easily. I TOTALLY understand and believe the situation. It happens to me. Some people have never experienced this.

I love your details!! You said they changed one of the ports on the itinerary - why is that?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

It is so nice to read that you understand about the service issue! It's been so long, I'd forgotten what it could be like. And, I honestly did not have the energy to deal with it any other way than what I did. And, it was fine.

They said the ports were changed because too many ships were at Raiatea on the same day. I think the Ocean Princess was there. Don't know what other ship was.

I just got off of my cruise on the Norwegian Jewel. It's not high class or anything, but we experienced the feeling of being invisible several times. We frequently had to ask that our obviously empty glasses of water or tea be refilled at dinner. I timed it and we and the people around us would often go 15 to 20 minutes without seeing our waiter.

Bar service was good, but any wait staff seemed to glance around and help randomly. I ended up adapting and dong what you did... just going to the bar to get what I needed. I hope it's not like that on the Gauguin when we sail in April.

I can empathize about being ignored. I travel regularly for work and usually eat dinner alone. I recently went to better restaurant in south Florida, walked in, and asked to be seated. The hostess directed me to the bar instead of a table. I was not pleased, but was tired and hungry, so I let it drop--for the time being.

I sat at the bar and the bartender got annoyed when I wouldn't give him my drink order immediately--I was going to have a glass of wine, and wanted to figure out what my dinner would be first to get the pairing right. After I ordered, I was all but ignored--never asked if everything was OK or if I needed something else. Yet the same bartender fawned over the half dozen solo male diners at the bar.

Yes, I wrote a letter to Darden--and included a copy of the receipt. I haven't heard back yet, but it's only been a week today.

I don't know why this happens, but I've become much more proactive about complaining to a manager when it does. It used to be thought that women weren't as generous in tipping as men. I am if anything more generous than my husband, but I won't tip generously for poor service. And thus the cycle continues.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Just want to bring up the obvious. Single ladies on the PG are a small slice of the cliental on board which are primarily couples. Though this isn't an excuse for not providing equal service I think service personal everywhere (not just the PG) react in similar ways which might include thinking there is another person coming to the table.

It does happen to everyone sometimes, my BH and I have sat for a long period of time when seated at a table that will accommodate more than just us the two of us. When we would sit at a table for only 2 people the service was always prompt. This has happened on several cruise lines.

As far as the service during breakfast and dinner I always prefer to carry my own plate and I usually am fighting off the waiters who always want to carry it for me. During our last cruise on PG Cruises the waiters were so plentiful that they darn near stumbled over our table making sure we were very satisfied.

As far as the food I must say I've never had a bad meal on the PG. I would typically give 4.5 stars out of 5 for most meals I've had. I too am very good in the kitchen and I have a passion for eating, never been dis-satisfied on the PG. Sorry your experience was not stellar, for what ever reason it isn't the norm on this fine ship and great staff.

Regarding the wine issue There have been times where I didn't care for the free wine selection, every time the staff would go find something 'special' always wanting to make you happy. What I've found is the staff our pleasers, you just need to ask sometimes and then watch them go out of their way to make you pleased.

One last thing ............ on our last PG cruise a month ago there was a single middle aged lady who is a frequent PG traveler. She can't wait for her vacation every year so she can get back on board the PG and be pampered. She couldn't say enough nice things about her experiences with PG cruises. Her only complaint is having to pay the extra fee for being single though we did notice that PG has started giving a break on certain dates for the single cruiser. If Twin would chime in on this he could support my statement as he knows who I'm talking about.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I am posting my reviews to provide information, especially for new cruises to PG. These are my observations and experiences. What happened to anyone else on their cruises has nothing to do with me. I have traveled extensively, both with my DH, by myself, and usually take a yearly trip with my sister. I have dealt with many difficult travel situations. But on this trip, I just took the easiest route because that's all I could cope with. If you haven't been through my situation, there's no way you will ever understand, and I hope you never have to.

I don't like to put a lot of personal experience online. But, the last six months have been extremely difficult. I am not "old" and neither was my DH. He was in very good health, rode his bike at least 20 miles a day, ate a healthy diet, etc. To have someone suffer a devastating medical event that was totally unpredicted somewhat turns your life upside down, to say the least.

Add on top of that, you were in the middle of moving across county, had just sold your home and purchased a new one over 3,000 miles away, and you are dealing with six children (most adults now) who have lost their father and stepfather, on top of what you yourself feel. Helping my youngest cope with the loss of her beloved dad, with whom she was extremely close, is a daily struggle. And, it was no different on this trip. It was her first Christmas and birthday without her dad and every day was full of challenges; sometimes just getting her to leave the cabin was a chore.

I just don't have a lot of energy left to debate anything. Just wanted to try to help others out by providing information.

I am posting my reviews to provide information, especially for new cruises to PG. These are my observations and experiences. What happened to anyone else on their cruises has nothing to do with me. I have traveled extensively, both with my DH, by myself, and usually take a yearly trip with my sister. I have dealt with many difficult travel situations. But on this trip, I just took the easiest route because that's all I could cope with. If you haven't been through my situation, there's no way you will ever understand, and I hope you never have to.

I don't like to put a lot of personal experience online. But, the last six months have been extremely difficult. I am not "old" and neither was my DH. He was in very good health, rode his bike at least 20 miles a day, ate a healthy diet, etc. To have someone suffer a devastating medical event that was totally unpredicted somewhat turns your life upside down, to say the least.

Add on top of that, you were in the middle of moving across county, had just sold your home and purchased a new one over 3,000 miles away, and you are dealing with six children (most adults now) who have lost their father and stepfather, on top of what you yourself feel. Helping my youngest cope with the loss of her beloved dad, with whom she was extremely close, is a daily struggle. And, it was no different on this trip. It was her first Christmas and birthday without her dad and every day was full of challenges; sometimes just getting her to leave the cabin was a chore.

I just don't have a lot of energy left to debate anything. Just wanted to try to help others out by providing information.

:::hugs:::

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

6rugrats

My heart goes out to your situation, truly sorry for your loss.

However, please keep this in mind. For every person who had a bad experience on the PG there are probably 50 who would say they had a trip of a lifetime. All you need to do is read this forum which is about 95% positive in regards to the PG.

If you were going to the movies and wanted to get some feed back and one out of fifty said a certain movie was not up to standards but 49 said it was a wonderful movie would you let the one negative response stop you from seeing that movie.

My point is not to discount your experience but if we are to paint an accurate picture of the PG experience one must consider that the overwhelmingly responses are very positive. When a review comes in that doesn't stay close to 95% of the experiences of others something doesn't add up.

Now follow me here. Just based on your last post we can tell you had a very challenging year, even to the point that it effected how you and your children interacted on the PG. Could it be possible that you are looking at life in a negative light right now, which I may add would be totally understandable.

When I read your review I sense you are looking from a negative point of view, of course this IMO, others my disagree.

As a French Polynesia 'expert' I have many trips under my belt to average out the experiences. Anyone who has been on the PG several times would most likely give very positive responses or they wouldn't return over and over and over. This isn't to not say what you experienced didn't happen to you, just that it's not the norm so when other newbies are considering the PG it's important for them to know your experience id not the norm.

Peace

Hi 6rugrats,

Hope your PG and Polynesia experience rejuvenated you and helped you to move forward after a difficult year. My sympathies.

While I have nearly always had good service on the PG ( in my 7 trips) there was one during 2006 or so when we had average service. I always discount my own experiences on the PG as a returning customer. Once the staff know you they tend to usually look after you exceptionally well so its good to hear comments from people with fresh eyes like yourself. I wonder whether your experience is to do with the fact that you didnt have Miki as Maitre. He has been a Maitre par excellence gathering together the staff in L'Etoile so they work as a cohesive unit. I heard he is not scheduled at present and hope he returns back to the PG. We would miss him a lot just as we miss Arnold and others who are not with the PG. They have also lost another surperb waiter Joey to the Tere Moana so I guess there are some shoes to fill on board the PG and socks to be pulled up which I am confident will happen.

I also have on occasion had some issue with the food - 2/7 cruises especially in L'Etoile. People need to speak up about the issues they have so that the cruise line will take note and make it better for us all!

Glad you enjoyed La Veranda. Was Ivan there? He is well experienced and has been a Maitre for some time. I believe that the Chef there is also a long time PG employee.

The Piano Bar is also my favourite spot - was Efren the bar tender there?

It is true that 95% of people enjoy the PG experience. Its hard to get hung up about the little things when you are in a beautiful place like FP and the PG does a number of things very well.

While I am a big fan of PG, I believe that if there is an area in which PG can be improved upon, they want to know…. It seems unnecessary to point out that an opinion runs counter to 'the norm' and to reference a family's recent tragedy as possibly coloring their opinion seems beyond the pale.

Rugrats, Truly interesting in your review and hope you continue.

The only reason this rebuttal came up was because 6rugrats pointed her review directly at newbies, those who can be heavily influenced. The term used was, "I am posting my reviews to provide information, especially for new cruises to PG."

I think it is unfair to not mention that 95% of reviews are very positive and though I do not question things that may not have been right I do think it's important to have newbies informed as to what the norm is.

My BH just came in and read what I wrote in the prior responses. I asked for her honest opinion. She said it was written well and that I handled it in a tactful way. She reminded me of when she lost her father, 2 brothers and her mother over a period of 18 months, as she states, she was very upset and it influenced how she saw things around her for some time. It's hard to see things in a balanced way when your hurting, again my heart & prayers go out to 6rugrats.

Peace

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I wonder whether your experience is to do with the fact that you didnt have Miki as Maitre. He has been a Maitre par excellence gathering together the staff in L'Etoile so they work as a cohesive unit. I heard he is not scheduled at present and hope he returns back to the PG.

We have just returned from the 28 December sailing, so I assume our maître d' was the same as for 6rugrats? Luis? We found him extremely attentive when one (relatively minor) glitch did occur in the MDR -- ours was an EXTREMELY full New Year's sailing. The staff seemed to work very well together.

Having said that, I totally respect 6rr's account. It is by putting together and sifting everyone's experiences and perceptions that travellers - both new and returning - and PG itself can learn.

6rr, we just got home today and your reviews will help inspire me to write my own. Keep them coming!

We have just returned from the 28 December sailing, so I assume our maître d' was the same as for 6rugrats? Luis? We found him extremely attentive when one (relatively minor) glitch did occur in the MDR -- ours was an EXTREMELY full New Year's sailing. The staff seemed to work very well together.

Having said that, I totally respect 6rr's account. It is by putting together and sifting everyone's experiences and perceptions that travellers - both new and returning - and PG itself can learn.

6rr, we just got home today and your reviews will help inspire me to write my own. Keep them coming!

So true astrocat now looking forward to your review.

A word of advice hanging out on the pg board and hearing others experiences is a bit like a flu shot....it makes the flu more bearable!

Tikiintahiti.... your comments were so insensitive and I don't understand why you always feel compelled to offer a rebuttal or make an excuse on behalf of PG for every negative comment someone on this board makes. It almost seems like you are an employee of PG or part of their marketing team. I have been a member on this board for over a year now and see that probably half of your comments are some form of rubuttal. While I value your opinions on excursions and logistical information since you have been there so many times, I grow tired of your other comments. You have a habit of shutting people down just like you did to Capri73 in October. I would bet that you get some form of compensation from PG for all your posts on here.

While I thoroughly enjoyed our first PG cruise in November, I wouldn't say it wasn't completely positive. and agree with 6Rugrats that there is room for improvement; especially in the dining rooms. I just chose not to write a trip report. There were plenty of things I thought the cruise line could have done better.

6rugrats... please finish your report.

Quote "I just don't have a lot of energy left to debate anything. Just wanted to try to help others out by providing information."

So very sorry 6rugrats for your personal loss, as well as extremely sorry for the head-butting and out-of-line comments coming from tikiintahiti. SMH!

Your review so far is full of good information and you are sharing your experiences about your PG voyage in a fun-to-read way that many of us who mostly sit in the shadows of message boards are enjoying thoroughly.

Please don't let anyone bully you from writing about your journey on this forum. Not that you need it, but a lot of us have your back! It would be a darn shame and a sad loss for those who have been on the PG and want to relive it vicariously and for those who still have yet to sail.

P.S. Tikiintahiti, please keep quiet. You are ruining this particular 14 day voyage if she decides not to write more.

Theresa

I have to give my 2cents!

Tikiintahiti, was not bullying or being unkind to 6Rugrats. He was just expressing his opinion. He was kind and very sympathetic for her loss.

Tikiintahiti is an asset to this board. He has a wealth of information. I always look forward to reading his reviews.

My husband and I, just returned from our 8th cruise with Paul/G. We did 2 cruises back to back. 11days and 7days. We love everything about the ship.

THE CREW, is what makes the Paul/G so spectacular.

Everyone has there own opinion's, and that's OK.Please don't fault Tikiintahiti.

6Rugrats, I also want to extend my sympathies to you and your children.

Zoey4545

Lucy Weaver;):D

I have to give my 2cents!

Tikiintahiti, was not bullying or being unkind to 6Rugrats. He was just expressing his opinion. He was kind and very sympathetic for her loss.

Tikiintahiti is an asset to this board. He has a wealth of information. I always look forward to reading his reviews.

My husband and I, just returned from our 8th cruise with Paul/G. We did 2 cruises back to back. 11days and 7days. We love everything about the ship.

THE CREW, is what makes the Paul/G so spectacular.

Everyone has there own opinion's, and that's OK.Please don't fault Tikiintahiti.

6Rugrats, I also want to extend my sympathies to you and your children.

Zoey4545

Lucy Weaver;):D

Great to hear all was good...and you are correct it's all about the crew on board the PG.

Somehow they make one feel like you are coming home.....feel that about Regent crew too!

Review great so far, sorry for your loss, everyone gets to speak their mind here.

Tiki I know full well the middle aged (oh crap I am the same age as her) woman you speak of. One of a kind our mutual acquaintance! Emdee, Efren was most often found in La Palette at night last cruise.

I would like to thank sita and shrkdive1 and tabber for their comments, which are spot on and very supportive. Also thanks to ducklite for the hugs and everyone else's kindness.

Of course our life experiences color our perceptions, but I am trying to merely relate my experience as objectively as I can and hope some of the information will be helpful, whether to longtime PG cruisers or to newbies.

I think many people don't come back and post reviews because they just get blasted for their opinion, which is a shame. Everyone has a right to post what they please, as long as it's within the posting guidelines. But, I now try to think before my fingers start typing, "What purpose will this serve"? And, telling someone in essence, that they didn't experience what they did, or bringing up unrelated topics is pointless. But, if someone posts about a problem they had, and you can offer suggestions for how to avoid that problem in the future, that's helpful for everyone.

That said, I have found the PG board to be one of the most civil on CC, and there is no reason for anyone to stop posting. I am a bit swamped with work right now, but will continue with my review when I get a few minutes.