Celebrity Lost Luggage- implies "tough"

Vince3999

With all due respect, Kevin, I think you should read the thread regarding the lost luggage saga of Mel and Ken on this board. They put their luggage outside their cabin in July, and it has not been seen since. Celebrity claims they have no liability. So Kevin, how is it that their luggage has not appeared, they have filed all the necessary paperwork, to date, they have not been reimbursed? Celebrity states flat out that they are not responsible and uses the fine print....Amen. Who will force them to accept liability? How should the customer get the funds back from Celebrity? At Gunpoint? Easier said than done.

The fine print does not hold up until a court of law says it does. The consumer has to sue the cruise line for negligence. This is basic tort law. We just finished this class last semester and it is very simple: the find print that says "not responsible" is pointless but you have to sue to enforce it.

Celebrity cannot absolve themselves as a business of responsibility for their own negligence. What the cruise lines count on is the fine print that states if you are going to sue them you must do so in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. They KNOW most cruisers are not going to go to the time and expense of hiring a lawyer to do it or do it themselves over luggage. The travel expenses to pursue the claim in court are NOT reimbursed as part of the case. Those come out of pocket. The second problem is you won't get awarded replacement costs for what was in the suitcase. So if you had a full suitcase of five year old clothes then the depreciated value is what you get. NOT replacement value.

So most cruisers let it go because as long as they can only recover by suing it becomes too expensive to pursue compared to what they could potentially recover.

With all due respect, Kevin, I think you should read the thread regarding the lost luggage saga of Mel and Ken on this board. They put their luggage outside their cabin in July, and it has not been seen since. Celebrity claims they have no liability. So Kevin, how is it that their luggage has not appeared, they have filed all the necessary paperwork, to date, they have not been reimbursed? Celebrity states flat out that they are not responsible and uses the fine print....Amen. Who will force them to accept liability? How should the customer get the funds back from Celebrity? At Gunpoint? Easier said than done.

I have read it and Celebrity is still at fault.

As Clydesmom said, they have to sue.

Hi Jane,

Unfortunately, when picking up your luggage, the moment you step outside the cruise terminal, Celebrity (and I'm sure most other Cruise lines) will deny any responsibility.

I am sure you are correct that this is also the case with most other Cruise lines BUT it doesn't make it right.:mad:

Off the Summit we took a San Juan debarkation day tour with airport luggage drop-off.

I can't remember the exact wording but they promised us a "secured drop-off area".

Our luggage was there but the area sure wasn't secured. I believe Vince has every right to be very annoyed if ,

as it appears, the situation is the same. At the very minimum the $300 should be offered up quickly.

Edited by richstowe

Bar codes and tracking do absolutely nothing for lost or stolen luggage. They only help with misdirected or delayed luggage. Once something is lost or stolen its location will no longer be properly reported in the system or it wouldn't be lost or stolen.

And that's all I was saying. Obviously if luggage is stolen a bar code won't help. But bar codes CAN help determine where luggage is if it is lost, i.e. misdirected/delayed. Is it 100% fail safe? Of course not. But it helps, and it's technology that isn't utilized by cruise ships.

And that's all I was saying. Obviously if luggage is stolen a bar code won't help. But bar codes CAN help determine where luggage is if it is lost, i.e. misdirected/delayed. Is it 100% fail safe? Of course not. But it helps, and it's technology that isn't utilized by cruise ships.

It could also help keeping it from being stolen. They could use barcodes and scanning to associate a sea pass card to the luggage being given to them. Then you can't take it out of the secured area later unless you are the keeper of the associated sea pass. We've had technology that scans deliveries coming off a truck to make sure the right item(s) get delivered to the right person for many years. Maybe there's some way to use proximity sensors so that if you try to remove luggage without the associated sea pass within some number of feet, it sounds an alarm, then staff would need to check. That could eliminate 100% manual scanning when picking up luggage.

To just leave luggage in an unsecured area for anyone to walk off with is just not right. So many people say it's the same way with airlines, but I would never leave my luggage sitting around a baggage claim area for hours. My eyes are on it as soon as it comes out on the belt.

To tell people when paying for a service that it will be in a secured area, then it's not? So wrong.

It could also help keeping it from being stolen. They could use barcodes and scanning to associate a sea pass card to the luggage being given to them. Then you can't take it out of the secured area later unless you are the keeper of the associated sea pass.

Hadn't even though of that angle! That would actually take it a step further than the way in which the airlines use luggage bar codes.

Anyone who travels today without insurance is foolish! Why take the risk? Our Manulife Cover-Me plan covers absolutely everything for $250 pp. for a year of unlimited travel for 30 days each trip. This includes $5,000,000 hospital & medical & $3,000 lost baggage, etc. So if our bags are lost, we are eligible for up to $6,000 in re-imbursement! :D. Travel insurance is cheap & gives peace of mind for any dilemma that should arise!!

• 3 weeks later...

It is dreadful hearing how Celebrity will not assist and also I followed Mel and Kens posts and it really made me feel I want to keep my case with me in future and take it off the next morning. I understand it would be dreadful if everyone did that but the amount they offer you is just an insult.