Shame on you NCL

jakeT

I would like to say something to NCL. I knew when I booked the cruise what the rules were. I understood, that after final payment NCL does not do anything for you.

But my March Breakaway cruise rate went down $1,000 after final payment. And NCL did very little for me. $450 OBC. That it, and that was like pulling teeth. "They went out of there way to do that. "

It just hurts when anyone, can book that cruise today at the lower rate.

I also know this is a patten on the Breakaway. Every cruise after the summer they did this. Even CHRISTMAS Week. Lowered the rate like $700 after final.

This is not the way to treat loyal customers. We are Platinum, guest that does not matter.

Just be wear.. And book after final payment, and you will be treated like platinum

Is this a joke? They gave you a $450 OBC and you're complaining?

Edited by SissasMomE

I agree that this is the business model for airlines, hotels, resorts and cruise lines. Nothing new. The price you pay to book early and get exactly the cabin that you want.

It would be wonderful to live near a departure port and book last minute. That would also depend on being able to get vacation time if working and being able to leave at the last minute (having someone to get the mail, feed the pets, water the plants etc). Not possible for me yet!

I am glad that you got something though.

Lol

On the dawn last November our 14 night cruise kept dropping in price. I called and upgraded twice at no charge. Then after final payment the price dropped $500 dollars. Three weeks before sailing I called them and they gave me a $150 obc. The difference is I called and said "I know I am not owed anything but there is no where else to upgrade too. Is there anyway possible I could get any compensation in obc or something but I understand if it is not possible" before I knew it I had the credit and somewhere along the line I was given dinner for two at two different restaurants, chocolate covered strawberrys, a bottle of wine and a bottle of champagne. It is all in the presentation of the request. I think NCl is great!

One cruise with NCL or 50, after final payment we are all treated the same. You lose all leverage and since NCL is having a really rough time selling rooms on all their ships, expect price (big?) drops after the magical final payment date.

You should actually be happy because NCL was under no obligation to give you anything after final payment date yet you got $450. Look at that as the bright side.

Ok, from what I'm hearing here is cruises just about always go down after final payment.

Follow me here and see if I can get this right, this will be for the cruisers that fly to the ports like me.

Do I book my cruise early and pay a higher price and book my air early and pay a lower price or do I book the cruise after the final payment to get the lower price then book my air and pay a higher price. We all know the airlines charge more the closer you book to the flying date. I never book air until my cruise is booked.

Edited by DDMau

Ok, from what I'm hearing here is cruises just about always go down after final payment.

Follow me here and see if I can get this right, this will be for the cruisers that fly to the ports like me.

Do I book my cruise early and pay a higher price and book my air early and pay a lower price or do I book the cruise after the final payment to get the lower price then book my air and pay a higher price. We all know the airlines charge more the closer you book to the flying date. I never book air until my cruise is booked.

Why are you forcing yourself into one or the other by saying you "never book" air until the cruise is booked. If you're trying a new approach, "never" isn't the word to take with you!

If I were so inclined, I might keep a third option open... Such as booking with an airline like Southwest that doesnt have change fees. I might book my flight before the target cruise. Hopefully, I can score an after FP price and have an awesome deal. If not, I cancel my SWA flight and keep the travel funds with SWA for future travel, or try again on another after FP booking.

I'm a suite guy now, so to get the cabin I want, I have to book early. Travelers who aren't so fussy can get great deals.

Edited by triptolemus

Why are you forcing yourself into one or the other by saying you "never book" air until the cruise is booked. If you're trying a new approach, "never" isn't the word to take with you!

If I were so inclined, I might keep a third option open... Such as booking with an airline like Southwest that doesnt have change fees. I might book my flight before the target cruise. Hopefully, I can score an after FP price and have an awesome deal. If not, I cancel my SWA flight and keep the travel funds with SWA for future travel, or try again on another after FP booking.

I'm a suite guy now, so to get the cabin I want, I have to book early. Travelers who aren't so fussy can get great deals.

Exactly. It all depends on what you like and your flexibility. We also aim for suites or at least aft facing balconies. When there are only 6 cabins of a certain category, you must book early or go without. :rolleyes:

I usually book 18 months out and watch prices. But the only times I've seen price drops is booking a regular (side) balcony or mini-suite where there is plenty of inventory.

One cruise with NCL or 50, after final payment we are all treated the same. You lose all leverage and since NCL is having a really rough time selling rooms on all their ships, expect price (big?) drops after the magical final payment date.

You should actually be happy because NCL was under no obligation to give you anything after final payment date yet you got $450. Look at that as the bright side.

LOL ... :p

I would like to say something to NCL. I knew when I booked the cruise what the rules were. I understood, that after final payment NCL does not do anything for you.

But my March Breakaway cruise rate went down $1,000 after final payment. And NCL did very little for me. $450 OBC. That it, and that was like pulling teeth. "They went out of there way to do that. "

It just hurts when anyone, can book that cruise today at the lower rate.

I also know this is a patten on the Breakaway. Every cruise after the summer they did this. Even CHRISTMAS Week. Lowered the rate like $700 after final.

This is not the way to treat loyal customers. We are Platinum, guest that does not matter.

Just be wear.. And book after final payment, and you will be treated like platinum

This is a joke, right? You're not seriously upset that they gave you $450 in OBC, are you? Nahhhh, you must just be trying to see how much of a reaction you can get out of everyone on here. Nice try.

I usually book 18 months out and watch prices. But the only times I've seen price drops is booking a regular (side) balcony or mini-suite where there is plenty of inventory.

For my upcoming Mexico cruise in 11/2014, I booked my SF aft about 15 months out. About a month ago, they sold out, along with several other suite categories. In fact, last I checked, only an owner's suite was available. Accordingly, I do not see any belly aching about price drops in my future... :)

For my Aug 2014 cruise I booked an AFT Penthouse last April 2013. The price has gone UP $1,200 since I booked. Sometimes the prices work in your favor. Plus I got the AFT cabin I want with the windows in the bedroom instead of the bathroom :D

We have a certain stateroom we like, there are only two of them , but always like starboard and that leaves one, so we book early. Our upcoming cruise dropped nine hundred and fifty dollars in price. That is okay got our favorite room and we are happy. Would rather had got it for less but did not want to take the chance of not getting it. If we could get $450. back in obc would love it. I would grin all the way to the ship for that good of deal.

That's a LOT of OBC when you said yourself that you knew that after final payment date, it is what it is.

Secondly, you said you see a pattern, yet you booked earlier anyways. Sounds like you want the prime choice in staterooms AND the last minute price.

At least NCL tells you the rules upfront. I bet that when you booked you didn't tell them you were going to complain when the prices go down after booking.

This "anger" is becoming all too common. I think NCL and all the other lines should take away the original stateroom and give you something from what's left in order to get a $$ accomodation of some sort

For my Aug 2014 cruise I booked an AFT Penthouse last April 2013. The price has gone UP $1,200 since I booked. Sometimes the prices work in your favor. Plus I got the AFT cabin I want with the windows in the bedroom instead of the bathroom :D

Have you cut that check to NCL yet?

We have a certain stateroom we like, there are only two of them , but always like starboard and that leaves one, so we book early. Our upcoming cruise dropped nine hundred and fifty dollars in price. That is okay got our favorite room and we are happy. Would rather had got it for less but did not want to take the chance of not getting it. If we could get $450. back in obc would love it. I would grin all the way to the ship for that good of deal.

drhry - I wonder if you and I have the same taste in rare staterooms...like you, I have had my eye on a pair of rare staterooms, and one was finally available at a time I could cruise. I BOOKED IT! And I don't care what the price drops to, if it does drop, because I booked the room of my dreams at a price I was very happy about. :D

That being said, I have cruised NCL 3 times (with this 4th one booked), and I have always booked more than 9 months out - that really helped me earn latitude points - and I have never, NEVER seen a price drop. I'm glad they don't charge me more when that happens. I also booked a RCCL cruise only 3 months out, and that has DOUBLED in price! Waiting can be a dangerous game.

NCL is a business - and now they have shareholders to make happy...of course they care about money - they wouldn't be a good business if they didn't!

A long time ago I worked retail. Clothes were marked a given price early in the season. Depending on how they sold, the price might go up or down. Towards the end of the season, the clothes would be marked for clearance...prices were great, but you ran a risk of not finding the color or size you really wanted. This isn't any different - just supply and demand.

For my upcoming Mexico cruise in 11/2014, I booked my SF aft about 15 months out. About a month ago, they sold out, along with several other suite categories. In fact, last I checked, only an owner's suite was available. Accordingly, I do not see any belly aching about price drops in my future... :)

Thats the kicker . With suites you dont have many options . Prices seem to only go up and if you wait the one you want is gone ..

Thats why we do what we do . Shop early and pay a lot... ;)