Getting Organized

rnrcruzin

I know it's an exciting time getting ready for your first cruise. Some folks are seasoned travelers, but have never cruised, and others are leaving the state for the first time. There's a couple things I'd like to address and some will just be an echo from what you've read here already.

First, get a passport. Don't hesitate and do it now. Your traveling life will be much simpler and you will have so much more freedom of travel if you do. If for anything you will need it for international air travel. You may not need a passport to get into Canada, Mexico, or even to get on the ship, but if the ship breaks down and you're in Belize, you'll need a passport to get home.

I won't write about what to wear because there are volumes of posts here about that subject. I will tell you what we do for documentation however.

I went to Office Max and purchased a spiral binder that has dividers with pockets in it. All total there are eight pockets. Then I start putting documents and such in each pocket. For example I have our booking confirmations in the first sleeve. Then comes the flight confirmations first along with our passports. Next the hotel confirmations . . . you get the idea. Each are in the order in which they occur during the trip. I suppose you could get a binder with more pockets for longer trips or a place to put all your receipts.

Anyway it works for us.

I did the same with a closed pocket folder like this:

http://www.motivators.com/images/products/Promotional6PocketFile323.jpg

(we had six ports but the last two were largely 'walk, shop, and look for WiFi' stops)

I used the front pocket for "shipboard info" and printed out maps of the route, and put ports 5 and 6 in the same pocket, paperclipped separately. I don't know why 7-pocket folders are not available -- there are seven days in a week, not everyone wants to 'lump' the weekend together!

The important docs like plane tickets and the receipt for the car park, had their own RED folder-envelope and the DH carried them... not that I am not trustworthy...

I use a single Manila Folder. The front side has the info going to the Port, airline, flight number, time, date, location, ect. It also has Cruise info, ship confirmation Number, boarding time, suite number, dinning time. Inside the folder is copies of all documentation, insurance policy, excursion info on a daily basis with what is first on top to last at the bottom. On the back of the folder is the return information. All info on the folder is done with a Sharpie so it can be read without using Reading Glasses that those of us over 50 sometimes need. Any associated phone numbers are bracketed around the info on the outside of the folder. We carry our passports in our pockets along with Flight Boarding Passes and later with Ship Boarding Passes.

We list all our hotel, car rental and flight itinerary info on a page or 2 in date order. We put all relevant info such as confirmation number, price, address, phone number, flight number, etc on the list. If we need the actual email from the hotel or airline we can pull it up on our iPhone. We add our frequent flyer numbers and hotel membership numbers at the bottom of the page. Cuts down on paper and has worked well for us.

I have a trip calendar blank made up. I enter the ports and times, what excursion we are on, etc. In a blank box I have listed all our flight information including locator numbers and seat assignments.

I put it on the mirror in our cabin, and that we we know at a glance what is going on.

I have attached it to this post-hope it helps.

TRAVCALENDAR.doc

Edited by Talisker92

but if the ship breaks down and you're in Belize, you'll need a passport to get home.

Anyway it works for us.

It has happened before--and NO ONE was left stranded in a foreign country.

Will it require more paperwork (and more headaches) than those with passports--YES.

BUT be rest assured, if the ship breaks down in a foreign country, they WILL make sure you get home...passport or not.

Edited by KKB