Buying Drink Package a couple days into cruise?

We were told on our Dec Nav cruise we could buy one on first or second day, but not pro-rated so no advantage to wait. Have seen some conflicting reports on here, so curious what others have run into.

With the new drink packages you can buy them after the first couple of days. There needs to be a minimum of 4 days remaining and you will only be charged for the days that you use. Once you buy it you buy it for the remainder of that cruise.

I think that the staff are also not familiar with how the program is supposed to work.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

With the new drink packages you can buy them after the first couple of days. There needs to be a minimum of 4 days remaining and you will only be charged for the days that you use. Once you buy it you buy it for the remainder of that cruise.

I think that the staff are also not familiar with how the program is supposed to work.

The first day onboard sales staff are NOT familiar (dishonest) with the program & tell people they have to buy it day one or not at all.

The first day onboard sales staff are NOT familiar (dishonest) with the program & tell people they have to buy it day one or not at all.

Not surprising. If I were planning on purchasing that way I'd take a screen shot of the website describing the program.

With The old program (prior to December) you did need to purchase the package for each day of the cruise.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

If they're not familiar they can't be dishonest..... OP has asked for first hand experience of purchasing after the first day....

Has anyone bought the drink package into the cruise if the first 2 days are days in ports? I have found different information so I wondered if anyone had first hand experience with this.

I had read up on the newest changes to the beverage packages prior to leaving on my 06 December 2013 cruise on Grandeur. I went to the Pool Bar with four days remaining on my cruise to purchase the Premium Plan and was told I would need to pay for the entire eight nights. I explained to the bartender what I knew of the program and he'd never heard of any such plan. He attempted to reach a manager by phone twice but said no one was answering so there was nothing further he could do.

I then proceeded to Guest Services where I was also told I could make the purchase but not at a prorated amount. Again, I explained all I knew about the recent changes. The representative politely listened and then asked for a moment so she could check further. She returned to say that yes, I could make the purchase at a prorated amount and it would be $55 plus tax for each remaining day. I then had to educate her that the $55 amount per day includes tax. She made a call on that issue, and stated that I was indeed correct again. I told her I had done my homework and she said clearly I had as I apparently knew all there was to know about the program. We laughed that I should go behind the counter and train all the desk reps what I had just taught her.

I chose to remain calm (not always easy for me when front-line employees don't know their company's P&P) from the moment I first went to make the purchase until my account was charged correctly and the beverage sticker was placed on my key card.

Hope your 'into the cruise' purchase is a smooth transaction, funfamilyfun!! :)

Side note: The first four days of the cruise I recall seeing a sign on the Pool Bar announcing the Premium Beverage plan and that it was available up until four days remaining. However, on the day I went there to make my purchase the sign was gone. Two days later with two days remaining on the cruise the Pool Bar had a sign announcing a Beverage Plan could be purchased for the remaining two days of the cruise. I'm guessing liquor sales were a bit slow on this sailing. :eek:

If they're not familiar they can't be dishonest..... OP has asked for first hand experience of purchasing after the first day....

Thank you for your comment!! That is my number one pet peeve on this site. People who post based on what they believe to be true when what's requested is first-hand experience.

I imagine my post will be someone's pet peeve - long, drawn out replies. :p ;)

Cheers! :cool:

...Two days later with two days remaining on the cruise the Pool Bar had a sign announcing a Beverage Plan could be purchased for the remaining two days of the cruise. I'm guessing liquor sales were a bit slow on this sailing.

Thanks for this. First report I've read indicating that they have some flexibility on the 4 day minimum purchase.

Edited by clarea

Thanks for this. First report I've read indicating that they have some flexibility on the 4 day minimum purchase.

We're thinking of purchasing this for our Freedom cruise in October based on what we consumed on our recent Serenade cruise in December. I was thinking of buying it once we're on board (since we'll have tons of OBC to use up). Good to know that it can be bought into the cruise as well.

I think there is still conflicting info on Royal's FAQ site. I just read, for example, that it's required for all days and all 21 and over in the stateroom must buy it. I know that last rule changed because we ran into people in December where one had it but the other did not. I also know that the bartenders are fairly lenient about letting someone buy someone else a drink using their package as we benefited from that a few times in one of the bars.

We observed two separate BOGOs this past cruiser; pool waiters going around announcing Happy Hour! BOGO until 3:00pm. We thought, too, that booze sales may have been lower than usual since we've never seen this before!

I head that also !!

I have my own Idea planning 5 nt Liberty of seas.I figure with the 2 bottles of wine I carry on and Diamond lounge on Embarcation day (Mon)and (Mon)evening that should be good for first day. So then purchase for last 4 days.My plan would be to buy package at12:01 am(Tues)on way to disco. My question is can you purchase anytime from guest services.

In the "olden days" of the late 90's (and/or maybe early 2000's?) RCCL sold a card which supposedly allowed you a certain # of alcoholic drinks at a certain, discounted price. You couldn't ask for premium alcohol and had to allow them to use whatever was their house brand of whichever type of alcohol your drink required. There was a lot of confusion as to which types of cocktails/mixed drinks were allowed. Pretty much most all of them were, in fact. I only learned this by emailing RCCL some wks. before our cruise to get IN WRITING what the actual policy was. I printed our their reply and took it w/me - and ended up being glad I did! One night I went into the Bolero Lounge on one of their Voyager Class ships and asked for a Singapore Sling, card in hand. The bartender there crabbily and brusquely said it wasn't allowed w/the card. I explained that it was and told him I had a letter indicating so. He became even crankier, so I went back to our cabin, got my copy of the email, and showed it to him. He grudingly made the sling. (Had I not seen him make it, I might have been afraid to drink it! :eek: ) I ran into that one other time on the ship, but when I said I had a letter, etc., the bartender made it w/out issue and w/a much better attitude. So - my advice is, rather than argue or having to wait while someone goes and checks w/"headqtrs", have a copy of the beverage pkg. policy printed out and with you.

Edited by mlbcruiser

In the "olden days" of the late 90's (and/or maybe early 2000's?) RCCL sold a card which supposedly allowed you a certain # of alcoholic drinks at a certain, discounted price. You couldn't ask for premium alcohol and had to allow them to use whatever was their house brand of whichever type of alcohol your drink required. There was a lot of confusion as to which types of cocktails/mixed drinks were allowed. Pretty much most all of them were, in fact. I only learned this by emailing RCCL some wks. before our cruise to get IN WRITING what the actual policy was. I printed our their reply and took it w/me - and ended up being glad I did! One night I went into the Bolero Lounge on one of their Voyager Class ships and asked for a Singapore Sling, card in hand. The bartender there crabbily and brusquely said it wasn't allowed w/the card. I explained that it was and told him I had a letter indicating so. He became even crankier, so I went back to our cabin, got my copy of the email, and showed it to him. He grudingly made the sling. (Had I not seen him make it, I might have been afraid to drink it! :eek: ) I ran into that one other time on the ship, but when I said I had a letter, etc., the bartender made it w/out issue and w/a much better attitude. So - my advice is, rather than argue or having to wait while someone goes and checks w/"headqtrs", have a copy of the beverage pkg. policy printed out and with you.

I remember those cards! Ocean potions!

I have my own Idea planning 5 nt Liberty of seas.I figure with the 2 bottles of wine I carry on and Diamond lounge on Embarcation day (Mon)and (Mon)evening that should be good for first day. So then purchase for last 4 days.My plan would be to buy package at12:01 am(Tues)on way to disco. My question is can you purchase anytime from guest services.
12:01 AM on Tuesday is still considered day one. Day two starts when the first bar or coffee shop opens at 6:00 am or whatever time it may open.

We're thinking of purchasing this for our Freedom cruise in October based on what we consumed on our recent Serenade cruise in December. I was thinking of buying it once we're on board (since we'll have tons of OBC to use up). Good to know that it can be bought into the cruise as well.

I think there is still conflicting info on Royal's FAQ site. I just read, for example, that it's required for all days and all 21 and over in the stateroom must buy it. I know that last rule changed because we ran into people in December where one had it but the other did not. I also know that the bartenders are fairly lenient about letting someone buy someone else a drink using their package as we benefited from that a few times in one of the bars.

We observed two separate BOGOs this past cruiser; pool waiters going around announcing Happy Hour! BOGO until 3:00pm. We thought, too, that booze sales may have been lower than usual since we've never seen this before!

Doesnt seem unclear to me

Q: Does everyone in my stateroom need to buy a beverage package?

A:

No, packages can be purchased by individual guests. Cannot be shared by multiple people.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5805

12:01 AM on Tuesday is still considered day one. Day two starts when the first bar or coffee shop opens at 6:00 am or whatever time it may open.

not quite correct It actually runs for "Nights" you sail not days. there is no charge for the day you dissembark even if you decide to drink at last breakfast, not too many get off before 6am last day and not too many drink at last breakfast though:)

not quite correct It actually runs for "Nights" you sail not days. there is no charge for the day you dissembark even if you decide to drink at last breakfast, not too many get off before 6am last day and not too many drink at last breakfast though:)

I fully realize that you are not charged for anything on the last day. All I was doing was refuting the post by Nolimits that you can't buy the program at 12:01 AM on day two and expect to go to the disco and drink for 2-3 hours before it closes when in fact the second day starts later in the AM.

If all of the cruise lines that offered these programs were crystal clear with the specifics of their programs and if they trained all of their personnel properly, then there would not be so much confusion on these boards and of course, on board (the ship).

I fully realize that you are not charged for anything on the last day. All I was doing was refuting the post by Nolimits that you can't buy the program at 12:01 AM on day two and expect to go to the disco and drink for 2-3 hours before it closes when in fact the second day starts later in the AM.

If all of the cruise lines that offered these programs were crystal clear with the specifics of their programs and if they trained all of their personnel properly, then there would not be so much confusion on these boards and of course, on board (the ship).

Well I'm going to try it and see if while there's still confusion if my plan works.LOL

Edited by nolimits

Well I'm going to try it and see if while there's still confusion if my plan works.LOL
Your plan will work and they will gladly sign you up at 12:01 AM, just be prepared that you will be thus be paying for day 1 and not day 2 since the drink plans do not work according to the day calendar. I have personal experience with these drink plans on both Carnival and Celebrity and I had read extensively about Royal's version on these boards in anticipation of purchasing it on the Indy in April.