RCI Diamonds considering Constellation

Meaglesjb

DH and I are loyal RCI cruisers. We were not enthused by our latest RCI experience on the Enchantment. We're looking at the 5 night Western itinerary on the Constellation thinking maybe we're ready for something new. Price is definitely right and we're looking forward to a trip without our lovely DD (age 2.5... Love her to death, but travelling with her is not a vacation). For those of you with experience, tell me what to expect. Give it a shot, or stick it out with RCI to achieve diamond plus?

Note... We don't really use the rock wall, flow rider etc on the RCI ships. Have sailed monarch, majesty, enchantment, serenade, adventure, liberty, and brilliance (my personal fav). Our last 2 cruises have been in Junior suites and the one before that (brilliance, our honeymoon) a grand suite. Considering concierge class for our constellation cruise as the value seems to be therevs 'verandah'

I would love to hear some conflicting opinions on this and a lively debate!

I too have been a loyal RCI fan and am trying my first Celebrity cruise next month on Constellation. Just was sort of looking for a change, the free drink promo was desirable, and friends assured me that I would not be disappointed with Celebrity. Kind of exciting!

I too have been a loyal RCI fan and am trying my first Celebrity cruise next month on Constellation. Just was sort of looking for a change, the free drink promo was desirable, and friends assured me that I would not be disappointed with Celebrity. Kind of exciting!

Please let me know what you think! We're looking at an April sailing, so have some time to make decisions

We were Diamond on RC and decided to give Celebrity a try, mostly because of their restrictive smoking policy. After 3 Celebrity cruises, we really love both, but Celebrity tips the scale just a little. Maybe if you can tell me what made your experience on Enchantment less than stellar, I can give you a better idea whether I think you'll like Celebrity. :)

Without DD and since you don't use flow rider, rock wall,etc I think you will find Celebrity a wonderful experience. No constant announcements, food a notch above Royal, excellent crews, no smoking on balconies or anywhere inside ship.

As Diamond on Celebrity you will be Elite on Celebrity so can attend nightly Captains Club cocktail hour, get 90 free minutes of Internet per person and other perks. We are also Diamond on Royal and have enjoyed every cruise on Royal but Celebrity is our first choice.

We were Diamond on RC and decided to give Celebrity a try, mostly because of their restrictive smoking policy. After 3 Celebrity cruises, we really love both, but Celebrity tips the scale just a little. Maybe if you can tell me what made your experience on Enchantment less than stellar, I can give you a better idea whether I think you'll like Celebrity. :)

I'm still trying to put my finger on the exact reason I didn't live my latest cruise. Part of it related to some stress related to our travels (missed flight, toddler not napping etc). Obviously, those things aren't RCIs fault, but they contributed to the overall feeling.

Both DH and I found the new menus left something to be desired. On the first night, neither of us really were excited by any if the selections, then on the second night (formal), everything we liked seemed to be on the menu.

We wanted to try my time dining, but couldn't get a table before 8:30 pm on the first night, so reverted back to early seating (8:30 for us would have been manageable, but not possible with a child). Had I read the menu, I might have decided to just go to Windjammer.

Finally, we didn't feel that the level of service was the same as we had previously experienced. As an example, after the first dinner on our lady cruise on Liberty, our waiter made sure to have a little fruit plate on hand when we arrived in the dining room. This kept DD busy until he could get her dinner delivered (always with our appetizers). This time, there was none if that kind of initiative or recognition of the need for some extra attention. There were other things, but that was one example.

Travelling without DD, I'm sure will make any line more relaxing and enjoyable. I guessing wondered if there was anything specific about the Constellation I should know about...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We sailed Royal Caribbean for 7 years before trying Celebrity. We loved Celebrity and prefer Celebrity for the most part. Still like to sail Royal, especially Allure of Seas. Just off Indy in December and there are differences between Celebrity and Royal.

I like to say 'sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't'. Sometimes we want Celebrity ships, sometimes we want Royal Caribbean ships

Constellation is a Great ship. Our first sailing on Celebrity was on Constellation in 2005.

Edited by shipshape sam

Don't be drawn to Concierge Class because of the benefits because most of them are superficial or available to everyone on the ship.

On the M class ships the only real difference is that with Concierge you can get bigger cabins and bigger verandas. If you select correctly its a winning situation.

I'm still trying to put my finger on the exact reason I didn't live my latest cruise. Part of it related to some stress related to our travels (missed flight, toddler not napping etc). Obviously, those things aren't RCIs fault, but they contributed to the overall feeling.

Both DH and I found the new menus left something to be desired. On the first night, neither of us really were excited by any if the selections, then on the second night (formal), everything we liked seemed to be on the menu.

We wanted to try my time dining, but couldn't get a table before 8:30 pm on the first night, so reverted back to early seating (8:30 for us would have been manageable, but not possible with a child). Had I read the menu, I might have decided to just go to Windjammer.

Finally, we didn't feel that the level of service was the same as we had previously experienced. As an example, after the first dinner on our lady cruise on Liberty, our waiter made sure to have a little fruit plate on hand when we arrived in the dining room. This kept DD busy until he could get her dinner delivered (always with our appetizers). This time, there was none if that kind of initiative or recognition of the need for some extra attention. There were other things, but that was one example.

Travelling without DD, I'm sure will make any line more relaxing and enjoyable. I guessing wondered if there was anything specific about the Constellation I should know about...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It sounds like you are looking for better food, better service, and less crowded ship. All of which are very good reasons to go from Royal to Celebrity. I thought our meals on RCI were good, but Celebrity was excellent.