Pacific Princess - Alaska Cruise May 2014

TNguy12

Wife and I are first time cruisers and first time to Alaska. Considering several itineraries in several different lines...one of which is Pacific Princess roundtrip out of Vancouver. The ports/times are perfect for what we want to do (based largely on research done here!)....however, I'm concerned as its an older ship....and I seem to have read several reviews about it being old/outdated/in need of repair.

Thoughts??

Wife and I are first time cruisers and first time to Alaska. Considering several itineraries in several different lines...one of which is Pacific Princess roundtrip out of Vancouver. The ports/times are perfect for what we want to do (based largely on research done here!)....however, I'm concerned as its an older ship....and I seem to have read several reviews about it being old/outdated/in need of repair.

Thoughts??

Pacific is just fine. We're scheduled on her for 94 days in 2015 and have already logged at least 150 previous days.

Well, if you're concerned, you probably didn't see my review, then! I had only good things to say about the ship and photos that showed off what was so nice about her. Sure, someone else did manage to find and photograph a sofa that was definitely the worse for wear, but I wouldn't condemn an entire ship based on one shlumpy piece of furniture. Nor would I hesitate over an "older" ship -- I've sailed on ships far older than her and still had wonderful cruises.

What you'll love about this ship, especially for your first cruise, is how easy it is to find your way around, with few to no lines, no crowds, no huge rush getting on or off the ship. And on a small ship, it's fantastic how the crew will get to know you (you'll find the bartenders/waiters will just ask, "The usual?" as you settle into your seat in a lounge. It's like a stereotypical sitcom set in a bar -- except for no one yelling out "Norm" . . . unless that actually happens to be your name, of course.). I thought our cruise featured one of the best staffs ever on any Princess ship -- uniformly friendly, smiling, polite, helpful, and just all around good at their jobs.

Thoughts??

I just spent 30 days on the Pacific Princess and I have 14 days on her sister, Royal 2 (no longer with Princess). The decor on these ships, IMHO, can be described as Grandma's Victorian House meets English Country Manor. With the exception of the ratty couches on Deck 4, the majority of the ship is in good condition.

For a first cruise though, I really wouldn't recommend her. Although there are fewer passengers, and an exceptional crew, this ship is sadly lacking in amenities. There's only one pool, and it's salt water. There's no covered pool, which I think you really need for Alaska. There's no anytime dining, or wine bar, or IC. There's not a lot of evening entertainment, but there is a nice library you can read in.

I think that the Star Princess (rt out of San Francisco) or the Island or Coral would be better choices. I also wouldn't cruise Alaska in May. If you go the first week of June, you won't have too many kids, but you will have nicer weather.

I just spent 30 days on the Pacific Princess and I have 14 days on her sister, Royal 2 (no longer with Princess). The decor on these ships, IMHO, can be described as Grandma's Victorian House meets English Country Manor. With the exception of the ratty couches on Deck 4, the majority of the ship is in good condition.

There are no couches on Deck 4, ratty or otherwise. ;)

Thoughts??

Our first cruise (2011) was also to Alaska and was on Sea Princess. It's slightly larger but is still a small ship and is also one year older than Pacific Princess. We absolutely loved the ship, the crew, and the cruise.

Given the fact that Pia seems to almost live on Princess cruise ships I'd suggest that you can probably trust her evaluation of Pacific Princess. :)

Edited by Thrak

Our first cruise (2011) was also to Alaska and was on Sea Princess. It's slightly larger but is still a small ship and is also one year older than Pacific Princess. We absolutely loved the ship, the crew, and the cruise.

Given the fact that Pia seems to almost live on Princess cruise ships I'd suggest that you can probably trust her evaluation of Pacific Princess. :)

OMG! Now I'm a ship evaluation authority? :eek:

Thoughts??

We think this is a good fit for Alaska. We chose the Pacific for the May 13 r/t out of Vancouver. Come on board and join us. :D In our mind, smaller is better. Who needs all that extra stuff? Well, I guess thousands do but not us. We go on a ship for the voyage and to feel like we are on a ship.:D

There are no couches on Deck 4, ratty or otherwise. ;)

I would kindly suggest that you take a look at the Pacific Princess Deck Plans. The couches that I am referring to are between the Passenger Services Desk and the Shore Excursion Desk. I just got off of this ship on Dec. 22, 2013, and I am not the only person who saw these couches or thought that should be replaced. A couch has a "lifespan" and these have gone far beyond it.

Thoughts??

I don't know about Pacific Princess yet but will let you know on May 3 when we get off her in Vancouver after 32 days aboard. We have only been on one cruise ship this small before and that was our first cruise 20 years ago so I can't remember much and had nothing to compare to at the time. We have so far been avoiding the mega ships as well.

We have been to Alaska twice in May, once in June and once in July. July weather was so so, May was surprisingly pleasant both times and June was absolutely incredible. Your mileage may vary though. Be sure to spend at least a couple extra days in Vancouver if you haven't been before/lately.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector
Clarification