Beach recommendation

Baires

I'm taking my 74-y.o. mom on her first Caribbean cruise (RCCL Oasis) and need a recommendation for our day in Cozumel. I'm looking for a quiet, beautiful beach, with white sand and clear water. I read about Nachi, and it looks good, except that the only option seems to be the all-inclusive one. I don't drink and my mom may have a drink here or there, but not enough to take advantage of an AI setup. Also, AI places tend to feature more loud, drunken behavior that could detract from one's enjoyment of the beach. Based on these preferences, what's my best bet?

Thanks!

When are you in Cozumel? What ship? What pier? How mobile is your mom?

You'll not find true white sandy beaches along Coz's West Side. At times, depending on the weather, the water can be murky.

If there are more than 3 ships in port the more popular beaches to the south will be crowded--Paradise, Mr. Sanchos,Playa Mia, Playa Uvas, et. al. The beaches between downtown and the International pier are small and associated with hotels. Likewise to the north of downtown (Playa Azul) and may or maynot allow day guests. Bocannos also north of downtown, is a possibility, but they do occassionally have cruise excursions there. The further soutwest beaches, like El Cedral, Albertos or Playa Palancar are typically less crowded but longer taxi rides to reach.

You might explore some of the lesser known beaches to the south like Playa Corona or consider Chankanaab National Park with its variety of sea animal attractions as well as multiple activities other than the beach.

When are you in Cozumel? What ship? What pier? How mobile is your mom?

You'll not find true white sandy beaches along Coz's West Side. At times, depending on the weather, the water can be murky.

I guess I should have just said "sandy beach", it doesn't matter if it's not white sand, I just want a nice, quiet beach day. We'll be there towards the end of July, on the Oasis. I don't know where it docks, probably at the largest port due to its size. My mom is fine in terms of mobility.

Oasis of the Seas typically docks at the TMMInternational Pier. That's the middle of the 3 cruise piers about 3 miles from downtown. According to one ships in port site, there are 5 ships scheduled to be in Cozumel that day, somewhere arounf 16,000 passengers and crew. Thus I'd suggest looking closer at some of the lesser known beaches or the beaches further south as noted in my previous post. Most have websites or at least reviews up on TA.

Granted that many folks use A.I.s for the unlimited drinking, if you have more than a couple of people, the ala carte prices for food and drink (alcohol and non-alcohol) and use of watertoys can add up quickly. What's nice about Nachi, given the number of other cruisers in port heading toward beaches, is that they limit their guests to 100 people, which isn't a crowd. Nachi doesn't get a party reputation like Mr Sanchos's AI with its swimup pool and acess tot eh non-AI things. The drinkers aren't the fratboy partiers and you'll find families there. Something to consider but with limited attendance, early reservations are advised.

Edited by crewsweeper

We'll be trying Passion Island for the first time in a few weeks, but that doesn't sound like a nice, quiet beach day. But the girls want it! :rolleyes:

I know of one place just 15 - 20 minutes south of the dock with a gorgeous beach and clear, beautiful water and a resort for food and drink but the name escapes me. We would see a few other couples, and a boatload of divers stopped in for lunch but the day was very nice and quiet on a medium ship day. There was a small "resort" there with an open-air bar/grill and a runner took food and drink orders on the beach and there was a lady giving massages. Sorry can't remember the name but any driver should be able to help you get to a less-trampled beach without driving too far.

We've driven the south west and east loop and this place on the west coast was one of the nicest spots we've enjoyed.

Good luck!

We'll be trying Passion Island for the first time in a few weeks, but that doesn't sound like a nice, quiet beach day. But the girls want it! :rolleyes:

We've only been there on Princess excursions and it really was a very relaxing beach day. No music or noise ... just the sound of the waves. The buffet lunch was actually very good -- much better than we expected. :)

A Carnival excursion pulled in after we did and walked down about a football field to a different area where their buffet, bar, and chairs were set up.

Don't know if this will differ on your Carnival excursion. Let us know.

LuLu

~~~~

I know of one place just 15 - 20 minutes south of the dock with a gorgeous beach and clear, beautiful water and a resort for food and drink but the name escapes me. We would see a few other couples, and a boatload of divers stopped in for lunch but the day was very nice and quiet on a medium ship day. There was a small "resort" there with an open-air bar/grill and a runner took food and drink orders on the beach and there was a lady giving massages. Sorry can't remember the name but any driver should be able to help you get to a less-trampled beach without driving too far.

Thanks, I'll try to figure out which place you are referring to!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nellsmom58
We enjoy going to Passion Island.

Access in & out of the water is gently sloping and easy.

Beautiful beach area. :)

LuLu

~~~~

I don't think RCCL has the Pasiòn Island tour, but I would highly recommend for your mom over all others. We're older folks and loved the easy beach, beautiful sand, and quiet. Not sure if you can get that elsewhere like that.

Does anyone know which beach the Fury Aqua Park is on? There is an excursion associated with NCL that has a catamaran with snorkeling trip, then onto the beach with lots of inflatables and non motorized water sports.

Does anyone know which beach the Fury Aqua Park is on? There is an excursion associated with NCL that has a catamaran with snorkeling trip, then onto the beach with lots of inflatables and non motorized water sports.

I'm pretty sure that's the private Fury-beach your talking about. When we went on the tour the guide said that was there private beach. You can only access it from taking the tour!! Which is awesome btw:)