Travel Insurance ?

Please help me understand something.

I understand many companies wave pre-existing if you buy in a set amount of time of your first reservation. Normally 15 days.

I'm trying to figure out on all policies, it says pre- existing 60, 90 or 120 days.

Is this how long you are not covered for pre existing, kinda like a deductable.

So if you wait to get insurance, is this how long you have to wait for pre existing to be waived?

I guess if this is how it is and you book a year in advance, its not worth buying insurance right away becouse you are outside the ships penalty period but still you would lose the cost of insurance.

It seems to me if I understand this right, the time to buy insurance is however many days out the pre existing period plus the cruise line penalty

Have I read this right all knowing one's?

I believe it's just the opposite meaning of what you state.

Those dates are the time frames from when the condition first manifests itself until you bought the insurance. For example, using (120 days):

1. If a family member had say a heart attack within the 120 day period before you purchased the insurance, it would be considered a pre-existing condition, and if you bought the insurance within 15 days after making your initial deposit the insurance would cover you if that individual passed away from that condition. 1 week, 2 weeks, 15 days, etc., depends on the specific insurance company.

2. If you bought the insurance "late" and the same event occurred (death) as described above you would not be covered.

3. Finally, if that same individual had a heart attack say 10 years ago, and passed away from complications from it, it would not be considered to have happened from a pre-existing condition, given the 10 year time frame that had passed. If they didn't cover it they can make the case the everything is due to some pre-existing condition, especially for elders.

Hoped this helped??

Richard Thanks

So let me get this right.

If I bought insurance today, as long as nothing has happend to family members in the last 120 days then every thing should be o.k.

So if I get sick next week it will not be pre existing.

great I guess I don't understand the big deal about buying insurance at booking as long as you buy it before cruise line charges take effect.

If you don't get a good answer at http://www.insuremytrip.com or on the insurance company website, I suggest you call or email the insurance company for an explanation. Try http://www.travelguard.com. During the period, if you received treatment, new RX, etc it's considered pre-existing. This also includes family members at home and not traveling, that might need your immediate return or cancelling the trip.

Preexisting conditions are generally defined as ANY condition you or a famliy member have been treated for or seen a doctor within the amount of time set forth by the insurance comany before purchasing insurance.

For instance, my wife takes blood pressure medication but only sees the doctor for this once a year. However, since she takes medication daily this would be considered a preexisiting condition.

Now lets say I've purchased the insurance and have not been treated for, or seen a doctorefor any ailment in the last year. I take no medications for anything, have had no colds, have suffered no injuries AND have had no signs or symptoms of any disease. If I buy insurance today and suffer a heart attack the day after it's issued, that is NOT a preexisting condition UNLESS I've been suffering chest pains (or other symptoms) before I bought the insurance. Therefore it's a cover condition. If you file a claim, you will probably find that most insurance companies are going to do some sort of investigation into you past medical hisorty to be certain there were no signs, symptoms or complaints before you puchased the insurance.

Doug. Just because your wife takes a medication doesn't constitute pre-existing conditions in this insurance jargon. The condition that counts is if a new medication has been prescribed or dosage changed within the relavent time period. Continueing care for high blood pressure isn't considered a disqualification from coverage.

Cruiseco. Thanks for the indepth explanation of pre-existing conditions as the insurance companys intend. I'm sure it will help many here to determine what their coverage is. Your response and explanations are always appreciated.

Doug. Just because your wife takes a medication doesn't constitute pre-existing conditions in this insurance jargon. The condition that counts is if a new medication has been prescribed or dosage changed within the relavent time period. Continueing care for high blood pressure isn't considered a disqualification from coverage.

I don't know about that. When I was actively selling insurance, preexisting conditions included anything you were currently being treated for. It wouldn't disqualify her from coverage but, should we have to cancel a cruise because of her high blood pressure, we would have a tough time making a claim.

Since she is taking blood pressure medication, it is a condition known to exist at the time insurance is underwritten (preexisting). It is a known risk and insurance is not usually written to cover a known risk. It's written to protect against the unknown. Which is why coverage doesn't apply if you buy it just before the hurricane hits. You know the risk of loss is high, thus the damage from that storm won't be covered.

Doug. I think half of the US population takes meds to control blood pressure.

If you read Cruiseco's link you will see how at least travel insurance companys treat pre-existing conditions.

Doug. I think half of the US population takes meds to control blood pressure.

If you read Cruiseco's link you will see how at least travel insurance companys treat pre-existing conditions.

I was trying to get the above link to work but, my computer just sat there. You may very well be correct that travel insurance treats things differently. Since my wife's blood pressure is secondary to her taking hormone replacement therapy I've never really worried about it. That and the fact it's been very well controlled for years now.

At this point in our lives we haven't had to be to concerned about preexisting conditions causing us much of a problem as neither of us have anything significant enough to cause us a real problem.

From insuremytrip.com

Q.

What is the definition of a Pre-Existing Medical Condition?

A.

This would be any injury, disease or illness to You, a Traveling Companion, Family Member, or Business Partner occurring prior to and including the effective date of your insurance.

Q.

What is the Pre-Existing Condition Period?

A.

This is the number of days that the insurance company will "look back" from the day the insurance was purchased, to see if your claim is related to a pre-existing medical condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to this definition, anything you are currently being treated for, such as high blood pressure, would be considered a preexisting condition. Therefore coverage would not apply to that disease just because it has been treated for a number of years and is considered stable.

Since my wife takes pills daily, she is under continueing care for this condition. Her high blood pressure is a known existing condition at the time the insurance is purchased. It does not exclude her from having insurance BUT it will exclude claims arising from that particular condition.

A diabetic would be in the same boat (no pun intended). Although their condition may be stable, it is still a preexisting condition.

But aren't we talking about the waiving of pre-existing conditions? If you purchase the policy within the time frame specified, then a pre-existing condition is a moot point, is this not correct?

One of the policies I saw on insuremytrip waived pre-existing conditions if you purchased by final payment day. Seemed to be the best deal, at least in this particular aspect of coverage.

Theron

The definition and qualifiers really seem to vary from one insurance company to another (which, of course, is why it is important to research what you're buying ahead of time).

On insuremytrip.com when you go to the actual quotes section and select a few to compare, you will get differing information on the pre-existing conditions column. For example, when you click on the 180 days on the pre-existing condition period line under CSA Travel Protection Freestyle, it states that a pre-existing condition exemption to having taken medication for a medical condition in the stated period prior to the effective date would be taking medication for a "condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 180 day period before coverage is effective under this policy." However, clicking on the 120 days of the same line on the Access America Classic package comparison notes no such exemption.

So, it seems under CSA Travel Protection Freestyle, that chronic hypertension controlled by medication without change or adjustment within the stated period would not be considered a pre-existing condition. But it seems as if it could be under Access America Classic.

But aren't we talking about the waiving of pre-existing conditions? If you purchase the policy within the time frame specified, then a pre-existing condition is a moot point, is this not correct?

One of the policies I saw on insuremytrip waived pre-existing conditions if you purchased by final payment day. Seemed to be the best deal, at least in this particular aspect of coverage.

Theron

Yes, most will waive the pre-exisiting condition if purchases within the specific timeframe mentioned by the company.

The definition and qualifiers really seem to vary from one insurance company to another (which, of course, is why it is important to research what you're buying ahead of time).

On insuremytrip.com when you go to the actual quotes section and select a few to compare, you will get differing information on the pre-existing conditions column. For example, when you click on the 180 days on the pre-existing condition period line under CSA Travel Protection Freestyle, it states that a pre-existing condition exemption to having taken medication for a medical condition in the stated period prior to the effective date would be taking medication for a "condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 180 day period before coverage is effective under this policy." However, clicking on the 120 days of the same line on the Access America Classic package comparison notes no such exemption.

So, it seems under CSA Travel Protection Freestyle, that chronic hypertension controlled by medication without change or adjustment within the stated period would not be considered a pre-existing condition. But it seems as if it could be under Access America Classic.

This is a good point as each company will qualify this term independantly. It can get to be a little lengthy reading through all of the contracts and not just the side by side comparisons.

If you notice, there are actually fewer companies than those named. Just different versions of the same policy I suspect. The second or third line down lists the name of the actual insurance company underwritting the policy. Stonebridge seems to be on of the more popular companies and has been the underwritting company on the last couple of policies we've taken out, including our Med cruise. Even though the name on the policy is TravelSafe, it is underwritten by Stonebridge.

Taken right off of insuremytrip.com 's web site---FAQ's

Q.

What if I take medication for high blood pressure, for example? Would this be considered a Pre-Existing Medical Condition? ?

A.

If your medication is controlled and you see a Doctor for routine checkups, this would NOT be considered a pre-existing condition. It would only be considered a pre-existing condition if your Doctor altered your medication, had a test done, requested that a test be done, or changed your diagnosis.

Archived