Flying from ny to miami...oh my!

ginaf

I am a frequent cruiser..mostly from the ny/nj piers. If not, we always fly down the night before. Our August ncl getaway trip is coming up and I'm trying to avoid going the night before. Our options are to fly from Newark to ft lauderdale landing at 12 using my jetblue points or flying from jfk (which is further for me) straight to miami on delta and landing at 11:18 (total $975 for the three of us). Our return trip would be from Fort Lauderdale to jfk departing at 12:01 ( again using jetblue points) or ft lauderdale to Newark departing at 2:40 (also jetblue). I can't leave from one and fly back to another because we drive to airport since dh gets car sick 😔.

What to do?!???

Are these times cutting it to close???

I am a frequent cruiser..mostly from the ny/nj piers. If not, we always fly down the night before. Our August ncl getaway trip is coming up and I'm trying to avoid going the night before. Our options are to fly from Newark to ft lauderdale landing at 12 using my jetblue points or flying from jfk (which is further for me) straight to miami on delta and landing at 11:18 (total $975 for the three of us). Our return trip would be from Fort Lauderdale to jfk departing at 12:01 ( again using jetblue points) or ft lauderdale to Newark departing at 2:40 (also jetblue). I can't leave from one and fly back to another because we drive to airport since dh gets car sick .

What to do?!???

Jetblue from Newark is delayed alot. I'm not sure about JFK because we only fly out of EWR. I know you don't want to fly in a day early, but ... I'd really think about that if I were you. August and September are prime hurricane months, and NJ gets its fair share of Nor'easters .... it just doesn't leave any room in case of a delay.

My parents cruise last April on the Dawn was out of Tampa. They were flying on JetBlue. I drove them to JFK and by the time I got back to the Verrazano Bridge they called me and told me their flight was cancelled...no crew for the flight! They had a 10:00am flight. JetBlue booked them onto a flight to Sarasota at 2:30pm and they then took a shuttle to Tampa. They didn't get to Tampa til after 6:00pm.

Luckily this all took place the day before their cruise! They would've missed the ship since the ship was scheduled to leave at 4:00.

JFK is JetBlue's main hub and who would've ever thought their flight would be cancelled bc of no flight crew! Stranger things have happened.

Fly in the day before. It's less stressful. That's no way to start a vacation by being stressed.

Everything has been said, but not everyone has said it. :)

You are taking a big risk if you fly in the same day as your cruise. It doesn't take much to delay a flight or disrupt air travel. Besides the issues mentioned above, in the summer, you also have the potential for thunderstorms.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

I agree with all the previous posters. I would also be safer and book the 2:40 flight on the way home. A noon flight is "doable", but it takes longer to get up to FLL, 95 can get traffic on Saturdays, and quite frankly I prefer to leave the ship in a leisurely manner than worry about making my flight.

My parents cruise last April on the Dawn was out of Tampa. They were flying on JetBlue. I drove them to JFK and by the time I got back to the Verrazano Bridge they called me and told me their flight was cancelled...no crew for the flight! They had a 10:00am flight. JetBlue booked them onto a flight to Sarasota at 2:30pm and they then took a shuttle to Tampa. They didn't get to Tampa til after 6:00pm.

Luckily this all took place the day before their cruise! They would've missed the ship since the ship was scheduled to leave at 4:00.

JFK is JetBlue's main hub and who would've ever thought their flight would be cancelled bc of no flight crew! Stranger things have happened.

Fly in the day before. It's less stressful. That's no way to start a vacation by being stressed.

We had the same experience with Jet Blue last April. Taking the Dawn repo cruise from Tampa to Boston, we flew from Boston into JFK on Jet Blue. The second leg of our flight was canceled due to lack of flight crew. We didn't fly out until 7pm, getting us into Tampa after 10. Thank goodness that we planned the flight for the day before.

My thoughts are---a hotel room for one night is cheaper than flights in to the next port, should we miss the ship.

I am a frequent cruiser..mostly from the ny/nj piers. If not, we always fly down the night before. Our August ncl getaway trip is coming up and I'm trying to avoid going the night before. Our options are to fly from Newark to ft lauderdale landing at 12 using my jetblue points or flying from jfk (which is further for me) straight to miami on delta and landing at 11:18 (total $975 for the three of us). Our return trip would be from Fort Lauderdale to jfk departing at 12:01 ( again using jetblue points) or ft lauderdale to Newark departing at 2:40 (also jetblue). I can't leave from one and fly back to another because we drive to airport since dh gets car sick 😔.

What to do?!???

Yes, they are cutting it too close! August thunderstorms, heat, etc-.

We flew from JFK to MIA , BWI to FLL and JFK to MCO last summer. Not one flight left anywhere near on time( JetBlue, Southwest and Delta)

All 3 were morning flights, prior to 9am. The shortest delay was 3 hours, the longest 7.

Although we were not cruising we all noted that we would most certainly have "missed the boat" And we would have.

I would not risk it.

You can stay in Miami near the terminal for 150 dollars and grab a cab or one of the plentiful shuttles. You will be so much more relaxed!!

Rule #1 from years of flying every week. Take the flight before the last one that will get you there on time. I have taken the risk of flying in the day of a cruise but only on the first flight out in the morning arriving by 10am.

As others have posted take the stress out and fly in the night before. Better yet the morning before and enjoy the beach.

We had the same experience with Jet Blue last April. Taking the Dawn repo cruise from Tampa to Boston, we flew from Boston into JFK on Jet Blue. The second leg of our flight was canceled due to lack of flight crew. We didn't fly out until 7pm, getting us into Tampa after 10. Thank goodness that we planned the flight for the day before.

My thoughts are---a hotel room for one night is cheaper than flights in to the next port, should we miss the ship.

They were going on the repo cruise also. You all must have been on the same flight lol

I flew in the same day my ship departed. I didn't mind because I was doing the NCL Sky. Which is a cheap weekend cruise. But if I on was the Getaway I would definitely go the day before. Too much money to lose taking that gamble.