Warning: Airport Transfers (London)

We used Airport Transfers (http://www.airporttransfer.biz) for our transfers in London and to Harwich. Because of a problem last year that we thought was a misunderstanding between Airport Transfers and the individual who made the arrangements, I made it very clear in my email requests and follow-up phone calls exactly what we expected (comfortable vehicle and trailer). Service from Heathrow/London (just us) and from London/Harwich for seven was good. The vehicles were what I ordered and we had no problem.

When Airport Transfers arrived to pick us up at Harwich, the driver had a 15-seat van with no air conditioning and no luggage trailer (exactly what they did last year). When I asked where the trailer was, the driver said he wasn't instructed to bring one. He jammed all our luggage into the back of the van and crammed 9 of us into the very small, hard seats without any leg room. We felt like sardines being shipped to market. The owner was also at Harwich picking up another group, so I complained very loudly about the van. He laughed as he helped our driver try to get even more luggage into the back of our van. When we asked about air conditioning, the driver told us to open the windows! The driver didn't even know the terminal where we needed to be dropped off and said if anyone had a different terminal they could take the bus to it . . . I don't think so!

When we got home, I called Airport Transfers and requested a refund for the trailer that was not sent. The owner tried to joke about it but I made it clear it wasn't funny and that I intended to post a warning about his company on this board. He agreed to credit me for the trailer, but that doesn't help those who trusted me to make the arrangements and were uncomfortable. I would not recommend Airport Transfers. I believe it's a scam with Americans because he doesn't think they'll ever be back. He pockets the extra money he charges and laughs all the way to the bank. I would recommend you find another company to handle your transfers.

Jean,

Thanks for the posting because being taken once is bad enough but he came back for seconds and did it again. I will never recommend him to anyone.

Keep my portion of the refund and put it toward your telephone bill. It's not the money, it's the way he treated us that got me mad.

Thanks for your follow up with him.

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked a transfer from Heathrow - London roundtrip with londontown.com. They gave me several vendors to choose from, posted the cost for each, answered my question about how much time to allow, and aren't billing my Visa until 48 hours before we fly.

All of this on a WEEKEND!! I really like this web site, and they have all kinds of other info and links, too.

That's a shame that the service was so uneven. It sounds like you got good service 2 out of 3 times. We used them twice 2 years ago and got very good service from Gatwick to London and Dover back to our Gatwick hotel.

The fellow that drove us from Dover told us he and some others were starting a new company. I have contacted them for our trip next summer (actually, I contacted both outfits) and got quick response. Rates are about the same for the longer portion, but better on the airport/London trip with the new company. The link to their website is: http://www.redhattravel.co.uk/

I will certainly consider your experience when I book. It's too far away and too important to leave to chance. Before I saw this, I would have given airporttransfers an unqualified recommendation, but while I can accept a mistake, I cannot go along with that kind of attitude.

Bob, thanks for adding your input. Both times we used Airport Transfers their service was perfect on the first two legs and it was the return to Heathrow where they took advantage of us. I have not received my credit card statement since the company promised the refund. If it isn't on the statement the end of the month, I plan to call them back. Maybe if they lose enough business from cruisers they will understand that they can't treat customers like that. I'm sure cruisers will appreciate the link to a new service they can use. Thanks for sharing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to Bust your bubble same address for both!

Whois info for, airportcruisetransfers.com:

Registrant:

Airport Transfers

17 Bourne Road

Bexley, Kent DA51LW

UK

AND

Domain Name: AIRPORTTRANSFERS.BIZ

Registrant Organization: Airport Transfers

Registrant Address1: 17 Bourne Road

Registrant City: Bexley

Registrant State/Province: Kent

Registrant Postal Code: DA51LW

Registrant Country: Great Britain (UK)

• 3 months later...

I can highly recommend Woodford Chauffeurs (http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk) for transfers, we've just booked with them for our cruise in July and they could not have been more helpful, our teenage daughter is particularly excited about having a DVD player in the car (thankfully there won't be time to watch Titanic :eek: ) during the journey!

www.tradingstandards.gov.uk Is the official UK government body which oversees trading companies, consumer protection and consumer rights. They can follow up complaints, and advise on particular consumer rights under current legislation.

You might want to consider looking at the site if only for general info. If you decide to take it further, theres contact info there too.

I just looked at the site and you need a UK Postcode (like a zip code) to access the nearest Trading Standards Office contact details.

If you do not have a UK residential code, you can instead use the post code of any business in that same area. Businesses with websites will often show a full postal address, complete with postcode.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

Just woundering who isn't owned by this co.

NH CruiserWe used Airport Transfers (www.airporttransfer.biz

They were found to be unethicl

Bob278 told us of a branch off; http://www.redhattravel.co.uk/

traveller333 recomended; http://www.airportcruisetransfers.com/

LondonGuy let us know thier the same co. as Airport Transfers.

I received a quote from; Central Chauffeur the response I got from them includes all these;

http://www.centralchauffeur.com/

http://www.cruisetransfer.com/

http://www.airporttransferservice.com/

I'm so confused! Can anyone tell me who is a ethical transfer company?

Can someone please let me know if they have hired someone for transfer that they where happy with and had no surprises from.

Can anyone tell me who is a ethical transfer company?
From Heathrow: Just don't pre-book anything. Go outside the terminal and join the queue for a taxi. You will get a proper licensed London taxi (a "black cab"). The fare will be metered, but you will get a taxi that's maintained to very high standards, and a driver who will have studied for a couple of years and passed a very rigorous examination just to get a licence to drive the vehicle, both supervised by an extremely vigilant regulator.

There are occasional bad apples amongst this bunch, too, unfortunately, but if you're looking for an assurance of a transfer where you're not going to get ripped off, this is close to it.

Archived