Various random questions re Yacht Club and my upcoming cruise on MSC Preziosa

Katgoesonholiday

I'm tapping into the collective wisdom of the forum for some weirdly specific questions that have occurred to me whilst considering my first cruise:

1. How big are the room safes? Will they fit my 13 inch MacBook Pro?

2. Can I get gelato in yacht club or is that an additional cost? If I got the drinks package it would be 'free' elsewhere on the ship but it's not worth getting the drinks package when we are paying the extra for yacht club.

3. What is the wifi like in yacht club? Speed? Cost?

4. Should I pack a change of clothes in my carry on in case my suitcase takes a while to be delivered or can I be pretty confident that it won't be delayed?

5. The ports include Dubrovnik, Istanbul, Izmir and Katakolon. Do I have to surrender my passport (New Zealand) for any of those or am I able to keep it on me!

6. Any recommendations for best way to keep cash and passport on my person and accessible without becoming a target for pickpockets?

7. If my cruise departs from Venice at 4:30pm, what time will we be expected to board?

8. What kind of breakfast can I get delivered in the morning? Will I be able to get my all important and utterly necessary cup of tea (aka Elixir of Life)?

9. How much does laundry cost? And would it be terribly tacky to hand wash my 'delicates' and leave them to dry overnight in the bathroom?

10. Can I leave the ship when it's in port, return for lunch and then venture out again? We may want to do this in Bari.

11. I'm leaving my three children in NZ with my sister. Will I be given an emergency number for the ship if she needs to contact me?

12. Is there an inside lock for the cabin door? My husband and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary and there are times we may not appreciate a visit from our friendly steward/butler.

Thank you in advance for any advice you might be able to give this cruise virgin! It is much appreciated and I am sure I will return your generosity by asking many more questions as they occur!

So I cannot address most of your questions but would like to speak to the one about keeping yor money safe in ports.

Although people generally hate them, I always use a fanny pack when we travel. I do not care which port we are in. I usually have a bit more cash on me than usual as well as I.D. And credit cards and feel very secure that way.

I feel that crooks go for the easy targets.....grabbing a purse & running or slitting into a back pack.

A few years ago I was going on a cruise out of San Francisco with my daughter . I live very close to that port so felt very bad when a fellow passenger told me he was robbed the day before.....as we were sailing under the Golden Gate....They were from New York and flew in earlier to see the city. They had taken a city bus that was a bit crowded and when they got off he discovered his wallet had been pick pocketed . I can only imagine what was in the wallet as they were just starting their vacation.

I'm tapping into the collective wisdom of the forum for some weirdly specific questions that have occurred to me whilst considering my first cruise:

1. How big are the room safes? Will they fit my 13 inch MacBook Pro?

We never tried to put the laptop in there as there are several drawers that would hold it.

2. Can I get gelato in yacht club or is that an additional cost? If I got the drinks package it would be 'free' elsewhere on the ship but it's not worth getting the drinks package when we are paying the extra for yacht club.

Gelato is available on the Deck 18 One Pool area of the YC.

3. What is the wifi like in yacht club? Speed? Cost?

Wifi is pretty good around the ship. I think we paid $45 for 100 minutes. Also make use of free Wifi on shore at ports of call.

4. Should I pack a change of clothes in my carry on in case my suitcase takes a while to be delivered or can I be pretty confident that it won't be delayed?

This is always a good idea since luggage may be delayed anywhere in route.

5. The ports include Dubrovnik, Istanbul, Izmir and Katakolon. Do I have to surrender my passport (New Zealand) for any of those or am I able to keep it on me! Not sure, however, always make copies of them before leaving home and keep those with you instead of passport unless instructed by ship staff.

6. Any recommendations for best way to keep cash and passport on my person and accessible without becoming a target for pickpockets?

There are many "body safes" available. Around neck, waist inside clothes, etc. I take just a small amount of local currency if USD is not accepted and one credit card. Just be aware of your surroundings at all times.

7. If my cruise departs from Venice at 4:30pm, what time will we be expected to board?

8. What kind of breakfast can I get delivered in the morning? Will I be able to get my all important and utterly necessary cup of tea (aka Elixir of Life)?

Your YC butler will be glad to deliver your tea each morning and there will be an order form in cabin for room service. There is also lots of continental breakfast items in the Top Sail Lounge.

9. How much does laundry cost? And would it be terribly tacky to hand wash my 'delicates' and leave them to dry overnight in the bathroom?

Not tacky to wash delicates and leave them to dry. I think laundry was $20 for a bag full of clothes.

10. Can I leave the ship when it's in port, return for lunch and then venture out again? We may want to do this in Bari.

Yes, we do this all the time.

11. I'm leaving my three children in NZ with my sister. Will I be given an emergency number for the ship if she needs to contact me?

Yes, your TA or MSC will provide this for you.

12. Is there an inside lock for the cabin door? My husband and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary and there are times we may not appreciate a visit from our friendly steward/butler.

There is an inside lock and there is also a "Do Not Disturb" card to put in the Key slot on the outside of the door.

Thank you in advance for any advice you might be able to give this cruise virgin! It is much appreciated and I am sure I will return your generosity by asking many more questions as they occur!

See a few of my answers above. Ask away, there are many here to help. Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by Cruisergal1208

Laundry is either €24 or 25 for up to 20 items. You don't have to wait until you have 20, they can be sent in separate batches.

If you depart at 4.30 absolute latest time would be 3.30 but I'd aim to be on at 3 at the latest.

In YC you shouldn't have long to wait for luggage but airline may lose it especially if you ahve a connecting flight, so it's good to have a change of clothes and mini sized toiletries in hand luggage.

I jus use my normal purse and handbag when travelling. When going ashore I do not take my passport (it usually is not needed unless you are going to somewhere like Russia! the Ukraine and the like). It stays in my cabin safe with all but one card and small amount of local currency. As a non EEC passport holder, your passport will no doubt be retained by MSC for the duration of your cruise and only returned on the morning of disembarkation after immigration have cleared the ship.

You can go ashore and return back to the ship as many times as you want in any port as long as you're finally back onboard no later than 30 minutes from the sailing time. There are a fair number of passengers who return for lunch on the ship and then head out again, especially where town centre is a short walk from where the ship docks.

Thanks so much for the answers - that's a huge help!

Another question occurs to me: what would be the earliest time we could board? We will want to see a bit of Venice before we embark even though we'll be spending two nights there afterwards, but it's our first cruise and I am sure we'll be excited to get on board!

Thanks so much for the answers - that's a huge help!

Another question occurs to me: what would be the earliest time we could board? We will want to see a bit of Venice before we embark even though we'll be spending two nights there afterwards, but it's our first cruise and I am sure we'll be excited to get on board!

We did this itinerary in June 2012 onboard the sistership MSC Divina in YC. A fantastic cruise and a lovely itinerary. We arrived the cruiseterminal by 12 AM and went straight onboard for a outdoor lunch on the One Pool Deck.

Here are some photos I took during the Venice sailaway, taken from the Yacht Club. Have a fantastic cruise:)

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

Yes I agree with Norwegian cruiser! I've often been able to get on around midday but in non YC, your cabin isn't always available until 1pm. Wouldn't really risk going much earlier as you're liable to have a wait in the embarkation area.

Here is a list , from the current virtual MSC brochure listing all the contact numbers for all the ships.

For a review of the same Itinerary, on Divina, checkout the link below and for a link to a photobucket album of images from the ports are around Divina checkout the other two links

CONTACT NUMBERS

shipphones.jpg

REVIEW

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=270&sid=37ffdd6d7c5bfca0f9b2b0d83e284251

IMAGES

DIvina album 1 (180images) Ship and ports

http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/skier6666/library/MSC%20DAVINA%20NOV%2012#/user/skier6666/library/MSC%20DAVINA%20NOV%2012?sort=2&page=1&_suid=1389390094063008351237702792519

Divvina album 2 Non YC areas

http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/skier6666/media/DIVINA%20NON%20YC/P1030387.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/skier6666/media/DIVINA%20NON%20YC/P1030387.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=1389390459365013558395396104877

Pete

You will need a pasport to get out of Dubrovnik docks. Several people were thrown off our bus at the port entrance are had to walk back to the ship (several hundred yards) to get their passports, don't know what happens with non-EU passports in Dubrovnik. But saying that there is no logic as to which guard will not bother, and let people through, and which will be officious and throw people off.

Dubrovnik city walls and cable car only accept local currency or credt cards, many shops accept Euros , not sure about USD.

For other ports I always have a credit card sized, laminated, copy of my passport, and have one credit card for use ashore on cruises, different to the card i use for the onbaord account.

I also have a preloaded currency card (CAXTON), and carry the minimum currency in small amount in several different pockets. I choose shirts and shorts that have button down pocket flaps.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

According to this informative link I don't need a visa. I'm still not sure whether I should carry my passport or just a copy. Any thoughts?

Don't carry your passports ashore unless the daily Programme tells you, you need to. Like I said before you are not going to have them anyway - the ship will be holding them as immigration at each port wants to see non EEC passports. If you are required to show it getting off at Dubrovnik, they'll give it back to you for going ashore and then ask you to return them again.

Don't carry your passports ashore unless the daily Programme tells you, you need to. Like I said before you are not going to have them anyway - the ship will be holding them as immigration at each port wants to see non EEC passports. If you are required to show it getting off at Dubrovnik, they'll give it back to you for going ashore and then ask you to return them again.

Okay. That's a big help. Thanks!

2. Can I get gelato in yacht club or is that an additional cost? If I got the drinks package it would be 'free' elsewhere on the ship but it's not worth getting the drinks package when we are paying the extra for yacht club?

Referring back to OP's 2nd point, what is the situation regarding paying for drinks in the Yacht Club?

Referring back to OP's 2nd point, what is the situation regarding paying for drinks in the Yacht Club?

Most all of the drinks are included in the price you pay for a YC. You pay if you order at other

Lounges around the ship. You will pay extra for high premium alcohol not included in the YC bar lists.

Most all of the drinks are included in the price you pay for a YC. You pay if you order at other

Lounges around the ship. You will pay extra for high premium alcohol not included in the YC bar lists.

Specifically, drinks obtained in the Yacht Club. Drinks elsewhere on the ship, and gelato, are not included in the Yacht Club price - which I think is a shame as you are paying a much higher premium and it gives just a little bit more flexibility.

Cruisergal and Kate, thank you both for your replies. That would take some of the sting out of the premium for YC. One further question, can the 'complimentary' drinks be used for dinner, is there a dedicated YC dining option?

YC passengers have their own dedicated (and better) restaurant which also includes drinks.

So as you say the premium for being in YC compared to a superior alcony reduces when you factor that in.

Cruisergal and Kate, thank you both for your replies. That would take some of the sting out of the premium for YC. One further question, can the 'complimentary' drinks be used for dinner, is there a dedicated YC dining option?

Try this link about the YC and you will see how spoiled you will be by the service.

http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/MSC-Yacht-Club/Overview.aspx

YC passengers have their own dedicated (and better) restaurant which also includes drinks.

So as you say the premium for being in YC compared to a superior alcony reduces when you factor that in.

Here is a real example of a B3 cabin + Allegrissimo package costing more than a YC 1.

interestingly the B3 cabin is £839.20 ($1385) but that would need to add the allegrisimo package on to be comparable to a YC1

Allegrismo is £20 per day ($33)

So 14 x £20 = £280 ($462)

Total cost of B3 is £839.20 + £280 = £1119.20 ($1847)

So would you pay £999.20 ($1649) and get the drinks, butlers, priorities, exclusives etc. or, £1119.2 ($1847) for cabin + drinks and NO PERKS

£120 ($198) more for an awful lot less!!!!:mad::mad:

aaa.jpg

Pete

Here is a real example of a B3 cabin + Allegrissimo package costing more than a YC 1.

interestingly the B3 cabin is £839.20 ($1385) but that would need to add the allegrisimo package on to be comparable to a YC1

Allegrismo is £20 per day ($33)

So 14 x £20 = £280 ($462)

Total cost of B3 is £839.20 + £280 = £1119.20 ($1847)

So would you pay £999.20 ($1649) and get the drinks, butlers, priorities, exclusives etc. or, £1119.2 ($1847) for cabin + drinks and NO PERKS

£120 ($198) more for an awful lot less!!!!:mad::mad:

aaa.jpg

Pete

Pete - for future reference the Allegrisimo is charged at 44$ a night - even for UK passengers. :confused:

This is my first time with MSC and we are sailing a Mediterranean itinerary during peak time so Yacht Club is substantially more than a balcony cabin. But this year is our 15th anniversary and we both turn 40 so we've decided it's worth splurging out! MSCs prices are still excellent even so.