My 8 Day Semi Cruise from hell aboard the Carnival Breeze 10/26/13 - 11/4/13

Leo's Rule

Yeah two weeks is about how long it takes. Some of the other great reviewers here like Mikey and Wrigley take just as much time. Picture reviews are time consuming but indeed, they are a labor of love! BTW Jamman I'm subscribed to your Splendor review. I've started reading it in preparation for my Splendor cruise! :D

No doubt it's time consuming and a lot of work to do these things, but let's be honest here. Mikey's latest review took two months to complete.

I hope you come back and finish. There are always people who are going to be mean but there are a lot who really want to hear the rest of your story. Yours is the first review of someone who had to see the doctor on board so that gives readers an idea what they might experience it something horrible would happen to them. Thank You

Really enjoying your review too..also waiting for diagnosis :) But I think it's a good review..and not the run of the mill..ship was this...ports were this...there's a story here and I'm enjoying the read!!

Well said and I fully agree!! Took me nearly two weeks to complete my last review, and I worked on it continuously without many interruptions. Lots of work, but it is a labor of (cruise) love!!!

Jamman, loved your review as it helped me relive our cruise! :cool:Kim, ALWAYS LOVE ALL your reviews! I missed your Sensation review, so I have to go back and read that. When are you sailing Splendor? We will be on her for the 2nd time a month from Tuesday! :D

Considering booking a cruise on the Breeze, but this TR is taking far too long to help me. She cruised in October, much longer than the obligatory 2 weeks you seem to allow for. Chow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Two weeks is by no means set in stone. If I had been working in my current job back in August, it would have taken me much longer! Take these picture reviews for what they are, a visual and entertaining (sometimes) story of the posters experience on board the ship. Plenty of useful information can be gleaned from them, but try to be patient.

Responding to everyone via my phone; the only way to respond to more than 3 posts at a time. I got in later than expected on Saturday and couldn't stay awake to add more to the review.

After my responses, I will log on to my computer and post more of the review.

Wait.... You're a nurse? And afraid of needles? How does that work? Lol

Seriously, sorry to hear of your distress, your Mom must have been scared! Glad to hear all is well now. Can't wait for the rest!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Lol. I was a nurse for Halloween. I did want to be a nurse in real life, but hate the sight of blood...and needles. I just have a weak stomach period. Lol

Please go ahead and tell your final diagnosis!!!!

I promise I will continue to read afterward.

Hmmmm...I'll tell you this much...I'm not pregnant, nothing is wrong with my kidneys and I don't have appendicitis.

OP, I'm not even going on the Breeze and I have subscribed to this thread-you have me hook, line & sinker (so to speak :eek:).

Glad your feeling better and cannot wait to read more.:D

Thanks. More is coming after I respond to everyone.

Great review even with the daily finale's you are giving us!! They never had those on The Love Boat!!LOL

Thank you!

OMG, I'm not going on the Breeze or even a Carnival ship for that matter. I was reading for the review but now I don't even care about it anymore because all I want to know is the final diagnosis, lol. I guess I will check back in tha few days.

Check back in a week. I still have Aruba and post cruise to do...after I finish Curacao.

Glad you ate better....now on with the review!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

I'm coming.

I'm really enjoying your review!! I went on the Breeze in December and had a blast, she's my favourite ship now!!!! :D Great to hear you got better and I have an idea what was wrong with you but I won't say anything.

Thank you, but your guess is wrong.

Maybe a little baby was making you sick? First trimester sickness aggrevated by the moving ship?

Nope.

I really like this dress! Where did you get it?

Thank you, I bought it from a store named CATO. It's more of a plus size store, but they do sell "regular" sizes too. I bought it back in May or June.

First of all, I'm so sorry your friend and her dad didn't make it! I hope they had travel insurance!

I wish you had been around to read about my experience with the taxis in La Romana before you left. That was the biggest hot mess I think I've ever seen. My experience was so terrible to the point of me being brought to tears. I'm not interested in visiting there again for sure. I'm so sorry you were sick on your cruise! What a bummer! BUT......

Ummm?????? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL

Lol, Kim. I probably wouldn't have had such a bad experience with the taxi if I had been outside on time, but then again, the tour operator mentioned that the company does play crazy & they have to use them because they aren't allowed to come into the area.

As for my friend; the story she told was so unbelievable, I really doubt she even made it to begin with. You'd have to know about my 1st trip on Victory out of San Juan; she was supposed to be on that too. But I won't go there.

GAPearl, Leo's Rule is with us on the Splendor in November. So I guess that rules out the stork possibility....

You're right. No baby on the horizon.

This review is turning into a whole lot of nothing. I'm done. Bye, bye--- unsubscribing.

Thank you for feeling the need to share that. Goodbye

and you need to announce this, why?

I am enjoying the review and the suspense. Thank you for taking the time. I really did think, though, that this was going to be an airlift post because the title of "My 8 day semi cruise from hell . . ." I thought it was going to be a semi-cruise . . . lol

Thank you Lisa. I guess the title was misleading, but getting sick on the cruise was my hell. I stayed semi simoky because the entire cruise didn't become a waste.

The original poster is posting in a way that is very self serving and that we are her little minions.

You're entitled to your opinion and don't have to continue reading. I like sharing my experiences and tend to give tons of details.

[quote

Lol. Not quite; there's no sex in my story. Lol

Unsubscribing.........

Wow, really? Thanks for stopping by.

Ok, am not wasting any more time on this. Not a review at all.

Goodbye.

I'm with you!

Goodbye

I started reading this review, but really lost interest and got grossed out on the details of the vomit (thanks for the disclaimer).....I really should have stopped at that point! Seriously, what does that kind of description have to do with a review? Ewwwwww:eek:

It's my review; it happened to me. Do you not...oh never mind.

Oh please. Like you never ever vomit.

I really don't understand why people are being so harsh on OP, just because she is busy with her life.

You don't want to read further, then don't. But enough with the negativity. Sheesh.

Thank you Isa. Some people are bullies in real life or they're just Internet bullies for their own gratification. It's ok.

Yeah. Why comment? Just move along.

Truth!

It's Saturday night and I am waiting...... Please don't let the "control freaks" discourage you from finishing your review. It's your review, you can write it as you please. If people don't like it, they don't have to read it.

Truth.com. Lol. I'm not discouraged. Just been busy. Writing the rest after I comment.

Grow up

That's too hard for some ppl

I, personally, am enjoying your review. I am sorry you were sick during your cruise, that would suck... A lot!

Thank you MI Red Rose. I hate I was sick too, but I'm 100% now. More of the review is coming.

Jimmy never vomits at home!!!

I guess not.

I am enjoying this review. I hope the negativity doesn't drive you away.

No, never that. I'm still here and will finish my review.

OP I have never been to La Romana by cruise ship but I have been on an AI to Bayahibe. We love it there. The water is great and the resort was lovely. Sorry you had such a bad time there. We always hire a private shuttle so never deal with the taxi's.

I want to visit DR by plane (Punta Cana to be exact), but maybe I'll have to visit La Romana on a land vacation as well. Which AI did you stay?

Great Review! I want more

and I want the diagnosis LOL

We go on a short cruise in February, sick at sea UGH, I can only imagine the hell that would be.

Hopefully the water is not rough for you. I go on a cruise in February too...the Bloggers Cruise. The dx will be shared.

Omg! I need to know the outcome!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You'll learn it...I promise.

I think that it may be kind of harsh to just dismiss OP because she's not posting every day. Perhaps she's just too busy to do so. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of her review whenever she gets around to it.

Thank you, mephistoles. Ok, what does your name mean? I was typing it and it automatically popped up on my phone.

I don't know why so many people have posted mean comments either, even at the beginning of her review. These things take A LOT of time to put together. If you've never written one, you have no idea. Between uploading and resizing pictures, writing, and posting, it can take hours to get just one day covered. When you have work and real life obligations, it could be a day or two before the next post is made. I'm looking forward to Leo's Rule coming back and telling us about the rest of her trip. Anyone that doesn't want to read doesn't have to. No need to be so nasty.

Soooooo true, Kim. I couldn't have said it any better.

I just wanted to say that I have been reading all along and am enjoying your review. Please continue when your schedule allows.

And please don't let these other readers get you down.

Thank you, JLindemer. I'm coming back; I'm not discouraged.

For what gapearl said-Can I get an Amen!!!!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

AMEN!!!!

LOL...Amen..and she even said she was busy over the weekend..the whole thing gets ridiculous when we get so cranky...or one and only one line nobody can see a problem or leave a neg. vent post...it is like a story people already want published beginning to end and positive only the best..pronto..sometimes it is good to wait and wonder..write your own story from imagination..LOL....a bunch of creative writers are born from reading CC reviews!!

LOL. So true

I hope you come back and finish. There are always people who are going to be mean but there are a lot who really want to hear the rest of your story. Yours is the first review of someone who had to see the doctor on board so that gives readers an idea what they might experience it something horrible would happen to them. Thank You

I'm coming back today. Thank you for hanging around.

Really enjoying your review too..also waiting for diagnosis :) But I think it's a good review..and not the run of the mill..ship was this...ports were this...there's a story here and I'm enjoying the read!!

Thank you. I like sharing my experience with everyone. It gives you ideas of what to do or not to do.

Considering booking a cruise on the Breeze, but this TR is taking far too long to help me. She cruised in October, much longer than the obligatory 2 weeks you seem to allow for. Chow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's ciao. And since Im logged in from my phone, I can't see your signature. .if you have one. What review have you written?

Thanks for stopping by.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

I cant believe how rude some people can be(just reading others comments)..I'll be here whenever you get a chance to finish your review..So far i'm enjoying it, nice mix of pics and commentary....I've been on the Breeze once already and am cruising on the breeze again in 96 more days, (i just find it freakin halirious that i read "well I wont be cruising on the Breeze or any Carnival ship") ..Sickness whether viral, or due to motion or food poisoning can happen anywhere and anytime...Not gonna keep me from cruising! Glad everyone is doing better..Like I said when you start back up with your review, I'll be here! :)

I'm back. To anyone else who feels the need to be negative, by all means, do what makes you feel better. If you don't like my long review, it's not moving fast enough for you, I'm not giving enough detail about the ship for you, I'm not giving in and revealing what was wrong with me because you want to know now, or whatever your issue is with me and/or my review, you can keep it moving.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but if your comments aren't beneficial to the thread, why post them? And to those of you talking about the review, how many have you written? And Kim said it best when she pointed out how long it takes to get these done. My 1st review I typed up everything in one full swoop, but wasn't able to get my pictures posted. It made for a very long read to have everything in one post.

If you still feel the need to post negative comments, from today forward, I will no longer respond to you. And I do apologize to the rest of you.

Now, on with my review.

I left off with crashing in the serenity chair. My mom got me up and said I needed to get out the sun. That chair was so comfy. I'm sure I went to the room and slept, I may have even gone to the Love and Marriage show or is it called the Newlywed Show? But I really don't recall if it was on this day. Whether it was on this day or not, I'm going to tell you about it. (smiley face)

The questions that are asked have changed and it's about time. One girl from my roll call made it on the show. She was there with her husband/wife? I don't know what to call her spouse. Anyhow, they were sort of embarrassed to give their responses because her mother was in the audience.

At some point I went to the Hasbro show and I made it up on stage, but sadly, my team didn't win so we were given parting gifts; mini versions of the game we played on stage. Although I would have loved to make it to the final round, it was a good thing I didn't win simply because I had no room to put the winnings in my luggage. I like this game; I'm a big kid at heart, so if Sunshine has it next month, I will try to get my way on stage.

Unfortunately, I don't recall what I did the remainder of the day. So up next is Curacao!

Curacao

Now I wish I hadn't waited so long to write my review. I look at my pictures for the memories of what was done on certain days to come flooding into my brain, but some things done prior to the picture taking escape my memory.

I believe I slept late this day. We weren't due to arrive in Curacao until 2 pm. Though I was feeling better, I still wasn't up for eating much. I do believe we went to breakfast, well, I watched my mother eat. We met two ladies from Florida who we later exchanged contact information with. One of the ladies lost her daughter and my heart just went out to her. I got up and gave her the biggest hug.

I walked around the ship, but I don't truly recall the rest of the in between time. I had us booked on a sightseeing tour with Irie Tours. We were to drive over the Juliana Bridge, visit an old Jewish neighborhood, stop at the Curacao Liquor Distillery, and stop at the Curacao Sea Aquarium Beach to snorkel. I do recall going to lunch before disembarking for our tour. I still wasn't hungry and truthfully I was scared to eat anything other than fruit. My mother was enjoying a Pastrami sandwich and told me to try it; I did. It was mmm, mmm good, but all I had was a bite. I rarely eat sandwiches at home and I surely don't go to sandwich shops on vacation, but I'm so glad I had that. I asked my mom would she go get one for me and I wrapped it to go.

We headed to deck 0 to disembark the ship, but we couldn't get off! Good Lord, was I going to miss another tour? We couldn't get off because of the weather, but eventually everyone was given the green light.

Some photos:

1011065_10200619064873599_641927061_n.jpg

A view from the ship; we're in Curacao!

1525115_10200619077753921_1205853760_n.jpg

Right across from the pier

1506855_10200619065713620_628646592_n.jpg

Chess anyone?

1522157_10200619066113630_1409168074_n.jpg

1560477_10200619064713595_1445389392_n.jpg

Good Lord, why did no one tell me I didn't rub in my sun block completely? LOL

1503971_10200619064753596_650527289_n.jpg

Once we existed the ship we had a mini trek to the meeting point. Here's some photos along the way:

1534405_10200619078233933_1359837581_n.jpg

1609666_10200619066513640_1769796982_n.jpg

We finally located the tour operator, but had to wait for others to arrive. Eventually we start rolling and I see this lovely painting:

1546390_10200619066833648_258840128_n.jpg

What was odd to me is we picked up passengers at several locations and even drove by the pier...why weren't we picked up there? We drive over the Juliana Bridge (hate I can't show you just how tall it was) but I'm glad I wasn't driving.

1493237_10200619068873699_781798752_n.jpg

Homes and businesses that could be seen from the top of the bridge

1555508_10200619067313660_1417724802_n.jpg

Can you see my home in the distance? I'm referring to Breeze.

1501737_10200619072473789_1844895279_n.jpg

A lovely view

We drove around in the old Jewish neighborhood and saw some homes that were being restored. We then had a stop at the Curacao Distillery. I didn't bother sampling any of the liquor, but there were several to choose from. There were photo ops on the grounds and i took advantage of them.

I then headed back to the bus and waited for others to finish the tour. I'm not sure if there's a fee for this tour or if the cost was included in our fare, but I wouldn't pay for this. There wasn't much in there. While waiting on the others to come back I asked the driver if he'd pose for a photo. I was going to be bad and take one with him in the driver's seat, but decided to take it off the bus. The driver was cute to me, but extremely thin. I never miss an opportunity taking a picture with a cute guy. Yeah, I'm bad. LOL Then my mom took a picture with the guy who was passing out refreshments and narrating the things we saw.

Pictures:

1525121_10200619070153731_1152904179_n.jpg

This is the Bridal Cake house. It was either built by the bride's dad or he had it built for her. It was her wedding present.

1604381_10200619069473714_1524110103_n.jpg

A house with "wall cancer". That's what the tour guide called it, but we all know the house is just rotting. LOL

1522128_10200619071313760_2041250696_n.jpg

Mom giving praises. LOL But DJ Khaled just popped in my head "Every time I step up in the building everybody's hands go up; and they stay there"

1526550_10200619070513740_487754821_n.jpg

My inner kid shining through

1604768_10200619071113755_151196619_n.jpg

In my best island accent, "Can I interest you in some Blue Curacao?"

1012237_10200619068953701_1347870677_n.jpg

I saw this after leaving the distillery...I think. LOL

More photos:

1010797_10200619071553766_802451025_n.jpg

I told you he was cute. Even if you don't think so, I thought he was.

1546096_10200619071913775_1898377167_n.jpg

Now you see where I get it from. LOL

1609874_10200619072753796_87525324_n.jpg

Mom and I

Next stop is the beach. We were here an hour or an hour & 30 minutes. We were supposed to get snorkeling equipment, but I never found where we were supposed to get it. I briefly get in the water, but it was cold. I must say the water was very clear. After my brief dip, mom and I walked around the beach and took photos.

1531632_10200619073353811_1616547500_n.jpg

Tupac comes to mind; Me Against the World

1535519_10200619073673819_70510992_n.jpg

Beyonce comes to mind; Pose for the camera, now flick, flick.

1544974_10200619073833823_1150379753_n.jpg

Mom sitting pretty

I come across this lovely bike and wanted pictures on it. I search for the owner and OMG, he was handsome and so were his friends! Why I didn't ask to take a photo with them is a mystery, but I got the picture of me on the bike:

1528535_10200619074033828_1237364224_n.jpg

Now I'm starving and pull out my pastrami sandwich. Here's my chipmunk pose. LOL:

995015_10200619074713845_355278336_n.jpg

I look at my watch and notice we need to head back to the bus. One last photo before boarding the bus:

1525581_10200619075033853_403260401_n.jpg

Driving back to the pier I get the perfect shot of the ship lit up.

1526808_10200619075913875_1214800762_n.jpg

We're back at the pier and it's nightfall now. We walk around and look at the trinkets and take some photos and then we're back on the ship. We were going to head back to the main area in Rifort, but security starting shutting things down, so we turned right around.

1538805_10200619076193882_2000697850_n.jpg

I remember going to the room and then to guest services to follow up on my request since no one ever called me. I spoke to a manager and he explained that they couldn't reimburse me and the best he could do was offer me bar coupons! Bar coupons, seriously? :eek: I explained everything I endured on the ship and even told the manager I was prescribed/given medicine that I was still taking; so why would he offer me alcohol?

In lieu of the bar credits I asked if he could give complimentary Internet minutes so I could schedule an appointment with my Dr. (Remember, although I was no longer throwing up or nauseated, I did have a pain in my side that was only felt when I walked. The medicine wasn't masking it or getting rid of it, so I knew something wasn't right). The manager told me he couldn't offer me any minutes...I don't know if he thought I wanted hours or some ridiculous amount of time, but I thanked him for his time and I headed to the Fun Hub. Surprisingly the Internet speed has improved. The speed on my 2nd cruise with Carnival back in 2011 was slower than Methuselah. I used it back then to get on Funville to let people know how we were on the cruise. I've never used it again until now. I thought I was going to spend an arm and leg just to send a message to my Dr. to schedule an appointment, but it cost me a little over a dollar. If I hadn't been hurting after what I thought was food poisoning, I probably wouldn't have scheduled an appointment with my doctor.

I come across this lovely bike and wanted pictures on it. I search for the owner and OMG' date=' he was handsome and so were his friends! Why I didn't ask to take a photo with them is a mystery, but I got the picture of me on the bike:

[img']https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1528535_10200619074033828_1237364224_n.jpg[/img]

Now I'm starving and pull out my pastrami sandwich. Here's my chipmunk pose. LOL:

995015_10200619074713845_355278336_n.jpg

I look at my watch and notice we need to head back to the bus. One last photo before boarding the bus:

1525581_10200619075033853_403260401_n.jpg

Driving back to the pier I get the perfect shot of the ship lit up.

1526808_10200619075913875_1214800762_n.jpg

We're back at the pier and it's nightfall now. We walk around and look at the trinkets and take some photos and then we're back on the ship. We were going to head back to the main area in Rifort, but security starting shutting things down, so we turned right around.

1538805_10200619076193882_2000697850_n.jpg

I remember going to the room and then to guest services to follow up on my request since no one ever called me. I spoke to a manager and he explained that they couldn't reimburse me and the best he could do was offer me bar coupons! Bar coupons, seriously? :eek: I explained everything I endured on the ship and even told the manager I was prescribed/given medicine that I was still taking; so why would he offer me alcohol?

In lieu of the bar credits I asked if he could give complimentary Internet minutes so I could schedule an appointment with my Dr. (Remember, although I was no longer throwing up or nauseated, I did have a pain in my side that was only felt when I walked. The medicine wasn't masking it or getting rid of it, so I knew something wasn't right). The manager told me he couldn't offer me any minutes...I don't know if he thought I wanted hours or some ridiculous amount of time, but I thanked him for his time and I headed to the Fun Hub. Surprisingly the Internet speed has improved. The speed on my 2nd cruise with Carnival back in 2011 was slower than Methuselah. I used it back then to get on Funville to let people know how we were on the cruise. I've never used it again until now. I thought I was going to spend an arm and leg just to send a message to my Dr. to schedule an appointment, but it cost me a little over a dollar. If I hadn't been hurting after what I thought was food poisoning, I probably wouldn't have scheduled an appointment with my doctor.

I'm so glad you seem to be able to enjoy a little bit of time on your cruise! What a shame you were feeling so ill!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Pictures we took back in the room before changing and heading to guest services:

1511598_10200619076633893_934405173_n.jpg

My towel animal for the night

1604931_10200619077513915_348998817_n.jpg

My mother looks like she's up to something.

After scheduling my Dr's appointment we head to the Lido Market for dinner instead of the MDR. I ate tons of fruit and sampled some Mexican foods and my mother had some meal. She liked it, but I do recall tasting her fried rice and it was dry. Yuck! Anyhow, there were two ladies sitting at the table next to ours and I couldn't help overhearing a comment that was made.

We ended up chit-chatting for 30 minutes or more, but what was funny to me was my mom became suspicious of the ladies; she thought they were hitting on us so she politely said we had somewhere to be (which we did) and we left. As we're walking away my mom says she thought they were hitting on us and didn't like how one of the ladies positioned herself towards her. (The lady turned and had her legs open; I didn't notice it, but my mom did). I told my mom I assumed they were gay or were possibly gay because one of them mentioned they were cruising with this large group. There were two groups on the cruise that I knew of; the Singles Cruisers and the Black LGBT group. I asked if she was with the Singles group and she said no; so I assumed she was with the other group. Either way, they were both sweet ladies.

I know we headed to a show after leaving the table, but the show wasn't memorable at all; I can't even tell you what we saw; it was horrible.

Short recap: The tour with Irie tours was ok. I guess you get what you pay for. It was only $25 per person and included beer, soda, and water, but you didn't get photo ops. The only time we were off the bus was at the distillery and the beach. I would have liked to have gotten off in the Jewish neighborhood like some guests from other tours. You had to be on the right side of the bus and be quick with your camera to get a good shot. You see how some of my photos turned out. I think if we had more opportunities to take pictures the excursion would rate higher in my book.

I need to take a breather. Up next is Aruba!!!!!!

:

We finally located the tour operator' date=' but had to wait for others to arrive. Eventually we start rolling and I see this lovely painting:

[img']https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1546390_10200619066833648_258840128_n.jpg[/img]

What was odd to me is we picked up passengers at several locations and even drove by the pier...why weren't we picked up there? We drive over the Juliana Bridge (hate I can't show you just how tall it was) but I'm glad I wasn't driving.

1493237_10200619068873699_781798752_n.jpg

Homes and businesses that could be seen from the top of the bridge

1555508_10200619067313660_1417724802_n.jpg

Can you see my home in the distance? I'm referring to Breeze.

1501737_10200619072473789_1844895279_n.jpg

Yay! Great pictures of my home town! I cross that bridge 4 times a day and love to see the cruise ships docked.

Glad you posted some more of the review!

I'm going to backtrack for a minute to when you were sick and confined to your room. Did anyone from security ever call or come by to check and make sure you were in there? Did you make any effort to eat that day? If so, did you order room service or did you mom bring you something from the buffet?

Thanks for taking the time to do this review OP. I admit I'm enjoying it more now since you're at the "feeling better" part. I'm very very squeamish, so I couldn't deal with much of that. :) Looks like you and your mom had a good time. You guys look more like sisters! Go mommy! I think it's so nice to travel with family. Curacao looks beautiful.