Thinking of bringing my teenager on my next cruise - question!

jen1016

I am going on the Valor in 6 weeks - with a bunch of friends. However, I was thinking in 2015 I will plan something to bring my son with me. He will be 15 at the time. I understand there is different activities for them to do - would it be possible for me to check out the teen's area, while on the Valor - even though I don't have any kids with me?

We haven't gone on a trip together and I think he would prefer a cruise as opposed to going to an All-Inclusive resort somewhere.

For those of you that have teenagers - do they like the cruising? I would be travelling with him alone ( I think), wonder if that will be an issue at all?

Thanks,

Jen

Edited by jen1016

My son and nephews have traveled with us while cruising and really enjoy themselves. They on be on their own on the ship and they always seem to have fun. They all love the arcade, just beware that if you don't put a limit on the sail card, that it will get expensive if they spend their time in the arcade. Our next cruise they will all be teenagers so that means they can all do the teen club. The last cruise the youngest wasn't old enough so the older 2 didn't do any teen club activities because they didn't want to exclude the youngest so I can't comment on the teen clubs.

Our teens loved cruising. The teen club is a good place for them to make new friends and have a common meeting place. The club also has some organized activities if they want to take advantage of them. We had a few ground rules but generally they had the freedom to move about as they wanted. We did insist they be dressed and at dinner each evening.

You & your 15 year old son will have a great time. Last year my son was 15 yrs old and he had soooo much fun. We had a balcony and our 2 kids had an interior across the hall. We had an agreement that he would join us for dinner in the MDR each evening. That is about the only time we saw him while we were on the ship. He still keeps in contact with several of the kids he met on that cruise. But you definetly want to set a daily limit on his sail & sign card. My son spent $80 bucks in the arcade the first night. Told him he was done charging stuff and turn off his charging ability at guest services. He never complained so I guess he didn't miss it.

Edited by flounder315

My soon to be 15 year old son loves cruising possibly more than me. We also very rarely see him, except at dinner. They do so many activities together and just hang out. He still keeps in touch with a couple of girls that he met on our first cruise 2 years ago!!

You definitely can go in and check out the teen area, it's not really supervised (as in, check in procedures, etc, like the little kids one is). If any one says anything just tell them you are checking it out for your teen. They didn't spend a ton of time in there, though, they were all over the ship!

You & your 15 year old son will have a great time. Last year my son was 15 yrs old and he had soooo much fun. We had a balcony and our 2 kids had an interior across the hall. We had an agreement that he would join us for dinner in the MDR each evening. That is about the only time we saw him while we were on the ship. He still keeps in contact with several of the kids he met on that cruise. But you definetly want to set a daily limit on his sail & sign card. My son spent $80 bucks in the arcade the first night. Told him he was done charging stuff and turn off his charging ability at guest services. He never complained so I guess he didn't miss it.

Yes, my DS put $60 on the card and that was it! I didn't turn off his charging but he never played another arcade game for the next 7 days!!

Yes, you can check out the teen club for future reference. Go the first night during sign ups. Talk with the counselors and get the schedule for the cruise. The schedule is pretty much the same.

As you get onboard there will be counselors to give you info what time sign ups take place. Usually before dinner around 5.

Our experience is about the same. They go to the teen club to see who is on board , then do their own thing with those they friend. My DD is still facebook buddies with a lot of the people she met while a teenager - the older I think it is the 15 to 17 group will have excursion for that age group with a counselor to go with them. Usually ziplining etc. DD never chose to do that (way easier to hang with the parents and have them pay for everything LOL)

Go for it, a great vacation you can each do what you like on board, agree with the meet for dinner, and then decide for the ports if you will be together.

And yes watch the sign and sail charges. Also double check that an error wasn't made so they can get adult beverages. We had that happen twice somehow my profile and DD got switched but it was corrected immediately.

I've got two distinctly different children - and both love cruising! From Camp Carnival through Club O2 (and now the little ones will have Dr. Seuss!), they enjoyed the dedicated space, the freedom-within-limits, the late night "sleep-over," Build A Bear, the kids they met...

at your child's age, my only caution is that they'll love it - but when they turn 18, they no longer qualify for the Club space - and can't be in the disco after a certain hour/under a certain age....it's tougher being 18-not quite 21 on a ship!

18-20s can still enjoy cruises - but they have to be more indeepndently-minded about amusing themselves or truly dedicated to seeking out same-aged people.

My kids are 12 and almost 16 and they LOVE cruising! They also really Circle C (for the 12-14 year olds) and Club 02 (for the 15 -17 year olds). Every night after dinner they would attend every organized club activity and stayed until the very end. They loved it so much!

Just be ready to spend a lot of your time alone. I have a friend who just took his 16 year old son on their first cruise. He was alone a lot of the time, well most of the time really. His son was off with new friends he made and Dad was left alone. They did eat dinner together each night but other than that the Dad was sort of bored. He wished he had brought another adult with him.

I agree you won't see him much or at all unless you require it. Also agree don't wait until he's 18. Our last family cruise our son was 14 and daughter just had turned 18. She couldn't do anything with the 17 year olds (and she begged them) and there is no night life until 21. She really felt left out didn't want to hang out with us and her brother was always gone. It's hard for them to make friends without that teen schedule in the first couple days

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

we've done a bunch of cruises with our kids, two of them as teenagers. While niether really were drawn to the organized activities, they liked hanging out with DW and I around the ship and on excursions and we always had a great time. Go and enjoy!

Our first "kids" cruise was later in life. Daughter was 21 and son was 26. Neighter enjoyed the trip. Son complained about the lack of TV channels :mad:. Daughter was boyfriend sick and wanted to go home the night before the cruise. Later that week I really hated I didnt take her home. Son promises to NEVER cruise again. Daugher and husband love it now.